Plastation modchip installers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Salty Dog, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Salty Dog

    Salty Dog Guest

    Hi All,

    I want to install a messiah 2 modchip in my PS2 and don't feel
    confident enough to do it myself. I've found three installers in
    various parts of the country and was wondering if anyone has dealt with
    any of them. They are

    http://www.nzmodchips.co.nz
    http://www.themodman.co.nz, and
    http://www.fatcat.co.nz

    I'm understandably a bit nervous about sending my PS2 off to someone
    I've never clapped eyes on before. Any advice or reviews will be
    greatly appreciated.

    All the best
    Salty

    --
    "I never could get the hang of thursdays"
    Salty Dog, Aug 5, 2003

  2. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:16:56 GMT, Salty Dog <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I want to install a messiah 2 modchip in my PS2 and don't feel
    >confident enough to do it myself. I've found three installers in
    >various parts of the country and was wondering if anyone has dealt with
    >any of them. They are
    >
    >http://www.nzmodchips.co.nz
    >http://www.themodman.co.nz, and
    >http://www.fatcat.co.nz
    >
    >I'm understandably a bit nervous about sending my PS2 off to someone
    >I've never clapped eyes on before. Any advice or reviews will be
    >greatly appreciated.
    >
    >All the best
    >Salty

    Well Sony will close them all down soon as you will have to be quick they are
    doing it now in OZZ.
    Greg Townsend, Aug 5, 2003

  3. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:40:42 GMT, Salty Dog <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Greg Townsend
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:16:56 GMT, Salty Dog <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi All,
    >> >
    >> >I want to install a messiah 2 modchip in my PS2 and don't feel
    >> >confident enough to do it myself. I've found three installers in
    >> >various parts of the country and was wondering if anyone has dealt with
    >> >any of them. They are
    >> >
    >> >http://www.nzmodchips.co.nz
    >> >http://www.themodman.co.nz, and
    >> >http://www.fatcat.co.nz
    >> >
    >> >I'm understandably a bit nervous about sending my PS2 off to someone
    >> >I've never clapped eyes on before. Any advice or reviews will be
    >> >greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >All the best
    >> >Salty

    >> Well Sony will close them all down soon as you will have to be quick they are
    >> doing it now in OZZ.

    >As long as they don't do it in the next week or so I'm cool;) In any
    >case Sony have been trying to close down the modchip industry for as
    >long as the playstation has been around, if they haven't done it yet I
    >wouldn't put a bet of there chances of doing it now.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Salty

    Have a read..

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7657
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  4. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:55:17 +1200, "MacTheCat" <MacTheCat@MacTheCat> wrote:

    >"Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:16:56 GMT, Salty Dog <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi All,
    >> >
    >> >I want to install a messiah 2 modchip in my PS2 and don't feel
    >> >confident enough to do it myself. I've found three installers in
    >> >various parts of the country and was wondering if anyone has dealt with
    >> >any of them. They are
    >> >
    >> >http://www.nzmodchips.co.nz
    >> >http://www.themodman.co.nz, and
    >> >http://www.fatcat.co.nz
    >> >
    >> >I'm understandably a bit nervous about sending my PS2 off to someone
    >> >I've never clapped eyes on before. Any advice or reviews will be
    >> >greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >All the best
    >> >Salty

    >> Well Sony will close them all down soon as you will have to be quick they

    >are
    >> doing it now in OZZ.
    >>

    >Hey look it's Greg Townsend with his happy advice, the unregistered service
    >tech, who is illegally repairing gear. How goes it Woger?

    No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Salty Dog

    MorrisTheCat Guest

    wrote:

    > >"Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message

    with

    > >> Well Sony will close them all down soon as you will have to be quick

    they
    > >are
    > >> doing it now in OZZ.
    > >>

    > >Hey look it's Greg Townsend with his happy advice, the unregistered

    service
    > >tech, who is illegally repairing gear. How goes it Woger?
    > >

    > No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.

    Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
    law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
    the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
    electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
    etc are not being done.
    MorrisTheCat, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Salty Dog

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.

    <Sigh, sad old bastard> <Plonk!>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2003
  7. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:55:17 +1200, "MacTheCat" <MacTheCat@MacTheCat>

    >wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message

    >with

    >they
    >> >are
    >> >>
    >> >Hey look it's Greg Townsend with his happy advice, the unregistered

    >service
    >> >tech, who is illegally repairing gear. How goes it Woger?
    >> >

    >> No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.
    >>

    >Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    >equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
    >law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
    >the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    >unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    >work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
    >electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
    >etc are not being done.

    What a load of utter Bolock, you have been brain washed or just inherently
    Stupid..

    Grow up..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  8. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:55:17 +1200, "MacTheCat" <MacTheCat@MacTheCat>

    >wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Greg Townsend" <> wrote in message

    >with

    >they
    >> >are
    >> >>
    >> >Hey look it's Greg Townsend with his happy advice, the unregistered

    >service
    >> >tech, who is illegally repairing gear. How goes it Woger?
    >> >

    >> No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.
    >>

    >Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    >equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
    >law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
    >the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    >unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    >work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
    >electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
    >etc are not being done.

    And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news groups,
    are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
    Formal training at all or and form of registration..

    They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..

    ..Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  9. > And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news
    > groups, are you going to report them as they stated many many times
    > that have No Formal training at all or and form of registration..
    >
    > They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the
    > Regs..
    >
    > .Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?

    Crapped out old missles from the 60's buddy. Wow, now that's high tech. Grow
    up.

    But you STILL don't have a licence !

    And just who are these 100 or more PC repairers in this newsgroup ?

    Care to put some fact to the crap for a change ?

    Can you name a quarter of your claim ?
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Salty Dog

    Salty Dog Guest

    In article <3f2f9594$>, TEX <> wrote:

    > Where are you based???

    Dunedin

    Cheers
    Salty

    --
    "I never could get the hang of thursdays"
    Salty Dog, Aug 5, 2003
  11. Salty Dog

    > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat"

    <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message

    > >with

    someone

    > >they

    > >service
    > >> >

    > >> No you are the Only illegal person here, so take your bating elsewhere.
    > >>

    > >Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    > >equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered

    by
    > >law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public

    of
    > >the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    > >unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    > >work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result

    in
    > >electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety

    testing
    > >etc are not being done.
    > >

    > And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news

    groups,
    > are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
    > Formal training at all or and form of registration.

    I reinterate:

    If they are doing repairs to equipment that derives it's electrical supply
    from Mains, and they take monetary reward for the work (charge a customer
    for it), then the law is quite clear. You must be 1. qualified and 2. be a
    paid-up EST (Electronic Service Technician).

    > They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
    >
    > .Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?

    I can't see a Guided Missile being an appliance that uses Mains electricity
    in its operation and it would be very unlikely a customer would ever bring
    one into the shop for repair however the current political climate in this
    part of the world , nothing would surprise me!

    AID standards... let me guess, something you believe allows you to rip
    customers off and fellow ESTs by not being Registered (in your eyes). Loser!

    Morris
    MorrisTheCat, Aug 5, 2003
  12. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:00:41 +1200, Robert Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    >>equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
    >>law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
    >>the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    >>unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    >>work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
    >>electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
    >>etc are not being done.
    >>

    >And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news groups,
    >are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
    >Formal training at all or and form of registration..
    >
    >They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
    >
    >.Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?

    Once again Roger demonstrates his abysmal knowledge of NZ regulations
    and electrical safety in general.

    Registration and a current Practising License are required to carry
    out prescibed electrical work. However the regulations also define
    what is not such work.

    Section 17.2(b) states

    (2)The following work is deemed not to be prescribed electrical work:

    (b)Repairs or adjustments to works, electrical installations,
    fittings, or electrical appliances or the replacement of extra-low
    voltage or mechanical fittings in electrical installations or
    electrical appliances, provided (in each case) that the work can be
    undertaken without removing any screens, covers, or the like designed
    to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings intended to be supplied
    at voltages above extra-low voltage:

    The EWRB has previously stated this section covers personal computers
    so long as all mains circuitry is covered by screens etc.

    The regulations and acts are available at

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/

    The requirement to be registered is not limited to doing work for
    reward. An unregistered person can repair their own, or a near
    relatives appliances, but no one elses.

    Regards
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm Moore, Aug 5, 2003
  13. > Thankyou for the precise clear information. I appreciate your input
    > but i fear Woger will continue to ignore the law and only scream and
    > hiss as he works on his guided missiles.

    Crickey ! Is he working with Bruce Simpson on this ? !
    Robert Mathews, Aug 5, 2003
  14. Salty Dog

    MorrisTheCat Guest

    " Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message
    > > Thankyou for the precise clear information. I appreciate your input
    > > but i fear Woger will continue to ignore the law and only scream and
    > > hiss as he works on his guided missiles.

    > Crickey ! Is he working with Bruce Simpson on this ? !

    I hope for Bruce's sake he is not and that Bruce isn't being rippedoff
    therefore!
    MorrisTheCat, Aug 5, 2003
  15. MorrisTheCat wrote:
    > " Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in
    > message news:bgpa0n$dpr$...
    >>> Thankyou for the precise clear information. I appreciate your input
    >>> but i fear Woger will continue to ignore the law and only scream and
    >>> hiss as he works on his guided missiles.

    >> Crickey ! Is he working with Bruce Simpson on this ? !
    >>

    > I hope for Bruce's sake he is not and that Bruce isn't being rippedoff
    > therefore!

    Ahh crap [TM].

    Knowing Wogers' skill, calm understanding of others and his willingness to
    communicate clearly, Bruce may want to make the test flight..with a human
    payload !
    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  16. Salty Dog

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:38:10 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    wrote:

    >Then again Electronics could be my hobble,

    Better get that seen to.
    Invisible, Aug 6, 2003
  17. On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:40:55 +1200, Robert Mathews
    <> wrote:
    >So Please tell me how does this affect a Plummer or a Gas Fitter, you do not
    >have a clue into what I do and even if I am retired.
    >

    >Plus its none of you Business.

    Given there has been a recent thread on nz.tech with the subject line
    "TV failure" in which you have stated:

    >> No I don't you do, as you all do not know a thing about servicing and I

    >have
    >> been in it for some 40 years..

    And

    >I had a talk to another service mate tonight and he could not believe your
    >rantings, you just don't know how a TV repair shop works at all.

    And

    >And that is all the service Shops around here as I have worked for them all.

    And in another thread about RCD's

    >I know as I had to fix a Stereo from them, new dial lamps, and found the
    >mains cord was bare in some places..

    I think everyone knows exactly what your current employment is.

    regards
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm Moore, Aug 6, 2003
  18. On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:45:38 +1200, Robert Mathews
    <> wrote:
    >Funny all AT type cases have a main switch that is not covered or fully
    >Insulated, Plus most PC repairers open up the Cases to replace the Fan etc..

    If the switch is "screened or covered" then registration is not
    required. If it is not covered then work should be performed by a
    registered person.
    The EWRB statement follows, it is part of

    http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/pdf/elink/update200102.pdf

    "Registration is required for the carrying out of
    prescribed electrical work and working on an
    electrical appliance such as a computer is deemed not
    to be within this category provided that the work can
    be undertaken without removing screens, covers, or the
    like designed to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings
    intended to be supplied at voltages above extra low
    voltage. Refer to regulation 17 2(b).
    In a practical sense this means that, except for the
    power supply module, most work on a computer is not
    prescribed electrical work."

    >So go check on how many PC repairers are registered, very very few you will
    >find.

    Indeed, but then they don't usually need to be.

    Regards
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm Moore, Aug 6, 2003
  19. On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:43:56 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat"

    ><MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >> >with

    >someone

    >> >they

    >> >service

    >> >Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
    >> >equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered

    >by
    >> >law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public

    >of
    >> >the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
    >> >unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
    >> >work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result

    >in
    >> >electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety

    >testing
    >> >etc are not being done.
    >> >

    >> And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news

    >groups,
    >> are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
    >> Formal training at all or and form of registration.

    >I reinterate:
    >
    >If they are doing repairs to equipment that derives it's electrical supply
    >from Mains, and they take monetary reward for the work (charge a customer
    >for it), then the law is quite clear. You must be 1. qualified and 2. be a
    >paid-up EST (Electronic Service Technician).
    >>
    >> They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
    >>
    >> .Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?
    >>

    >I can't see a Guided Missile being an appliance that uses Mains electricity
    >in its operation and it would be very unlikely a customer would ever bring
    >one into the shop for repair however the current political climate in this
    >part of the world , nothing would surprise me!
    >
    >AID standards... let me guess, something you believe allows you to rip
    >customers off and fellow ESTs by not being Registered (in your eyes). Loser!
    >
    >Morris

    AS you do not have a clue in what I do and even if I am retied at all, I could
    be a Plummer or a Gas fitter, gee even around here a Gas Fitter Runs a
    Computer Shop..

    Then again Electronics could be my hobble, you just don't know do you, none of
    this has any bering to if I am Registered or not, Plus its NONE of you
    BUSSINESS.

    To me you have the attitude of a Brain Dead Teenager, so go play with you Xbox
    as that is all you are good for.
    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  20. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:25:21 +1200, Malcolm Moore <>

    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003