Plans to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit from 32-bit Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Big.Doc.D, Jul 18, 2009.

  1. Big.Doc.D

    Big.Doc.D Guest

    I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    HP web-site (for example)?

    I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.

    I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    XP to 7-64-bit?

    Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    those files be properly converted?

    As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    types please do not respond)?
     
    Big.Doc.D, Jul 18, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    No current releases of Office are 64-bit native.
    The upcoming Office 2010 will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    In the meantime you can run Office 2007 or 2003 (32-bit) on top of Windows 7
    64-bit with no issues.
    Older 32-bit applicactions will work in Windows 7 unless:
    1.- They have 16-bit installers
    2.- They require 32-bit drivers to work

    So, most of your older apps should work

    DOS applications are 16-bit so they won't run.
    You will need some third party application like a Virtual Machine or the
    small and freeware DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) to create an environment
    where you can run DOS apps.

    Windows XP has in its Accessories an utility for transferring files and
    settings to newer installations. I have never used it though many in this
    forum have.

    Best of luck and welcome to the 64-bit world!
    Carlos

    "Big.Doc.D" wrote:

    > I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > HP web-site (for example)?
    >
    > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >
    > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >
    > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    > those files be properly converted?
    >
    > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > types please do not respond)?
    >
     
    Carlos, Jul 18, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

    The Win7 forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

    "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > HP web-site (for example)?
    >
    > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >
    > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >
    > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    > those files be properly converted?
    >
    > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > types please do not respond)?
     
    Jerry, Jul 18, 2009
    #3
  4. Big.Doc.D

    Jane C Guest

    All 64 bit operating system questions are welcome here in this
    newsgroup. Including Windows 7.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
     
    Jane C, Jul 18, 2009
    #4
  5. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Jerry,
    General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    :)
    Carlos

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > The Win7 forum:
    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >
    > "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    > > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > > HP web-site (for example)?
    > >
    > > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    > > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    > > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    > >
    > > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    > > XP to 7-64-bit?
    > >
    > > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    > > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    > > those files be properly converted?
    > >
    > > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    > > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > > types please do not respond)?

    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Carlos, Jul 18, 2009
    #5
  6. Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.

    (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I expected,
    so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious withdrawal, but
    should be able to recover now that I can get my fix again.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Jerry,
    > General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    > :)
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> The Win7 forum:
    >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >>
    >> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    >> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    >> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    >> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    >> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >> >
    >> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    >> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    >> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    >> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    >> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    >> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    >> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >> >
    >> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    >> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >> >
    >> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    >> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    >> > those files be properly converted?
    >> >
    >> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    >> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    >> > types please do not respond)?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2009
    #6
  7. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Far worse connectivity. Something your wife must have enjoyed during vacations!
    :)
    Carlos

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >
    > (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I expected,
    > so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious withdrawal, but
    > should be able to recover now that I can get my fix again.)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >
    >
    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Jerry,
    > > General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    > > :)
    > > Carlos
    > >
    > > "Jerry" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The Win7 forum:
    > >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    > >>
    > >> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > >> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > >> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    > >> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > >> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > >> > HP web-site (for example)?
    > >> >
    > >> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > >> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > >> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    > >> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    > >> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > >> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > >> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > >> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > >> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    > >> >
    > >> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > >> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > >> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    > >> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    > >> >
    > >> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    > >> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    > >> > those files be properly converted?
    > >> >
    > >> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > >> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    > >> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > >> > types please do not respond)?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
     
    Carlos, Jul 20, 2009
    #7
  8. Big.Doc.D

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    Welcome back.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 RC

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >
    > (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
    > expected, so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious
    > withdrawal, but should be able to recover now that I can get my fix
    > again.)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >
    >
    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Jerry,
    >> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    >> :)
    >> Carlos
    >>
    >> "Jerry" wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Win7 forum:
    >>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >>>
    >>> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    >>> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    >>> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    >>> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >>> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    >>> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >>> >
    >>> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    >>> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    >>> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    >>> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    >>> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    >>> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >>> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    >>> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >>> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >>> >
    >>> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >>> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >>> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    >>> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >>> >
    >>> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    >>> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    >>> > those files be properly converted?
    >>> >
    >>> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    >>> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >>> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    >>> > types please do not respond)?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >
    >
    > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    > signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >
    > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com
    >
    >
    >


    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4261 (20090720) __________

    The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com
     
    Dennis Pack, Jul 20, 2009
    #8
  9. Heck no, she was trying to get online too. (I married a geek. Didn't know it
    at the time, but turns out she's online more than I am!) But two of the
    hotels had abominable wireless, and then her aunt's place was hopeless. So I
    managed to read a few emails a day, but that was it. Gave up trying to read
    the NGs.

    But it's good to be back.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Far worse connectivity. Something your wife must have enjoyed during
    > vacations!
    > :)
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >>
    >> (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
    >> expected,
    >> so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious withdrawal,
    >> but
    >> should be able to recover now that I can get my fix again.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >>
    >>
    >> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> > Jerry,
    >> > General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64
    >> > posts.
    >> > :)
    >> > Carlos
    >> >
    >> > "Jerry" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> The Win7 forum:
    >> >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >> >>
    >> >> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >> >> news:...
    >> >> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    >> >> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too
    >> >> > many
    >> >> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say"
    >> >> > because
    >> >> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >> >> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on
    >> >> > the
    >> >> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting
    >> >> > on
    >> >> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see
    >> >> > so
    >> >> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available.
    >> >> > I
    >> >> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a
    >> >> > retired
    >> >> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to
    >> >> > install
    >> >> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >> >> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing
    >> >> > V-
    >> >> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >> >> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >> >> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >> >> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from
    >> >> > my
    >> >> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it?
    >> >> > Including
    >> >> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    >> >> > those files be properly converted?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win
    >> >> > XP
    >> >> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >> >> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time
    >> >> > (marketing
    >> >> > types please do not respond)?
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >>
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2009
    #9
  10. thanks. feels good to be home. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


    "Dennis Pack" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Charlie:
    > Welcome back.
    >
    > --
    > Dennis Pack
    > Win-7 RC
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >>
    >> (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
    >> expected, so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious
    >> withdrawal, but should be able to recover now that I can get my fix
    >> again.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >>
    >>
    >> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Jerry,
    >>> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    >>> :)
    >>> Carlos
    >>>
    >>> "Jerry" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The Win7 forum:
    >>>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >>>>
    >>>> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    >>>> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too
    >>>> > many
    >>>> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    >>>> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >>>> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on
    >>>> > the
    >>>> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting
    >>>> > on
    >>>> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    >>>> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    >>>> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    >>>> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    >>>> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >>>> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing
    >>>> > V-
    >>>> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >>>> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >>>> >
    >>>> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >>>> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >>>> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from
    >>>> > my
    >>>> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    >>>> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    >>>> > those files be properly converted?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win
    >>>> > XP
    >>>> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >>>> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time
    >>>> > (marketing
    >>>> > types please do not respond)?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>

    >>
    >>
    >> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    >> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >>
    >> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>
    >> http://www.eset.com
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    > signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >
    > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com
    >
    >
    >
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2009
    #10
  11. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

    What you say may be true but I've found many more answers to Win7 64-bit
    questions in the forum I mentioned than I ever found here.

    "Jane C" <> wrote in message
    news:%232YF4T$...
    >
    >
    > All 64 bit operating system questions are welcome here in this newsgroup.
    > Including Windows 7.
    >
    > --
    > Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
    > MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
     
    Jerry, Jul 21, 2009
    #11
  12. Big.Doc.D

    David Guest

    If you use MS Office Onenote, there is not Send to OneNote printer driver
    for x64. and thus this function will not work on an x64 OS. This is fixed
    for Office 2010.

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > thanks. feels good to be home. ;)
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >
    >
    > "Dennis Pack" <> wrote in message
    > news:%...
    >> Charlie:
    >> Welcome back.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dennis Pack
    >> Win-7 RC
    >>
    >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >>>
    >>> (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
    >>> expected, so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious
    >>> withdrawal, but should be able to recover now that I can get my fix
    >>> again.)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Charlie.
    >>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Jerry,
    >>>> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64
    >>>> posts.
    >>>> :)
    >>>> Carlos
    >>>>
    >>>> "Jerry" wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> The Win7 forum:
    >>>>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    >>>>> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too
    >>>>> > many
    >>>>> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say"
    >>>>> > because
    >>>>> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >>>>> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on
    >>>>> > the
    >>>>> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >>>>> >
    >>>>> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting
    >>>>> > on
    >>>>> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see
    >>>>> > so
    >>>>> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available.
    >>>>> > I
    >>>>> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a
    >>>>> > retired
    >>>>> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to
    >>>>> > install
    >>>>> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >>>>> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing
    >>>>> > V-
    >>>>> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >>>>> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >>>>> >
    >>>>> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >>>>> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >>>>> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from
    >>>>> > my
    >>>>> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >>>>> >
    >>>>> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it?
    >>>>> > Including
    >>>>> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    >>>>> > those files be properly converted?
    >>>>> >
    >>>>> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win
    >>>>> > XP
    >>>>> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >>>>> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time
    >>>>> > (marketing
    >>>>> > types please do not respond)?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    >>> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >>>
    >>> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.eset.com
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    >> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >>
    >> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>
    >> http://www.eset.com
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
     
    David, Jul 21, 2009
    #12
  13. I can't imagine I'll be upgrading to Office 2k10, since I'm still running
    Office 2k3 here, except for OneNote.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If you use MS Office Onenote, there is not Send to OneNote printer driver
    > for x64. and thus this function will not work on an x64 OS. This is fixed
    > for Office 2010.
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> thanks. feels good to be home. ;)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >>
    >>
    >> "Dennis Pack" <> wrote in message
    >> news:%...
    >>> Charlie:
    >>> Welcome back.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dennis Pack
    >>> Win-7 RC
    >>>
    >>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>>> Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
    >>>>
    >>>> (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
    >>>> expected, so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious
    >>>> withdrawal, but should be able to recover now that I can get my fix
    >>>> again.)
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Charlie.
    >>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> Jerry,
    >>>>> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64
    >>>>> posts.
    >>>>> :)
    >>>>> Carlos
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Jerry" wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> The Win7 forum:
    >>>>>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "Big.Doc.D" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and
    >>>>>> >the
    >>>>>> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too
    >>>>>> > many
    >>>>>> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say"
    >>>>>> > because
    >>>>>> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    >>>>>> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on
    >>>>>> > the
    >>>>>> > HP web-site (for example)?
    >>>>>> >
    >>>>>> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting
    >>>>>> > on
    >>>>>> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see
    >>>>>> > so
    >>>>>> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available.
    >>>>>> > I
    >>>>>> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a
    >>>>>> > retired
    >>>>>> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to
    >>>>>> > install
    >>>>>> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    >>>>>> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing
    >>>>>> > V-
    >>>>>> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    >>>>>> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >>>>>> >
    >>>>>> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    >>>>>> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    >>>>>> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from
    >>>>>> > my
    >>>>>> > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >>>>>> >
    >>>>>> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it?
    >>>>>> > Including
    >>>>>> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form?
    >>>>>> > Will
    >>>>>> > those files be properly converted?
    >>>>>> >
    >>>>>> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win
    >>>>>> > XP
    >>>>>> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    >>>>>> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time
    >>>>>> > (marketing
    >>>>>> > types please do not respond)?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    >>>> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >>>>
    >>>> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.eset.com
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    >>> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________
    >>>
    >>> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.eset.com
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2009
    #13
  14. Big.Doc.D

    XS11E Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote:

    > What you say may be true but I've found many more answers to Win7
    > 64-bit questions in the forum I mentioned than I ever found here.


    Examples?


    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    XS11E, Jul 22, 2009
    #14
  15. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

    Go to the forum and check out for yourself; I am not going to post hundreds
    of questions and answers just because you ask for an example.

    "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9C4FD236B7A31xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > "Jerry" <> wrote:
    >
    >> What you say may be true but I've found many more answers to Win7
    >> 64-bit questions in the forum I mentioned than I ever found here.

    >
    > Examples?
    >
    >
    > --
    > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Jerry, Jul 22, 2009
    #15
  16. Big.Doc.D

    XS11E Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote:

    > Go to the forum and check out for yourself; I am not going to post
    > hundreds of questions and answers just because you ask for an
    > example.


    I asked because I've never found one answer, let alone hundreds, on the
    forums that wasn't available here.


    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    XS11E, Jul 23, 2009
    #16
  17. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...s-xp-to-windows-7-with-windows-easy-transfer/

    "Big.Doc.D" wrote:

    > I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > HP web-site (for example)?
    >
    > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
    >
    > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    > XP to 7-64-bit?
    >
    > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    > those files be properly converted?
    >
    > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > types please do not respond)?
    >
     
    Carlos, Jul 27, 2009
    #17
  18. Big.Doc.D

    Big.Doc.D Guest

    On Jul 18, 2:23 pm, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > No current releases of Office are 64-bit native.
    > The upcoming Office 2010 will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    > In the meantime you can run Office 2007 or 2003 (32-bit) on top of Windows 7
    > 64-bit with no issues.
    > Older 32-bit applicactions will work in Windows 7 unless:
    > 1.- They have 16-bit installers
    > 2.- They require 32-bit drivers to work
    >
    > So, most of your older apps should work
    >
    > DOS applications are 16-bit so they won't run.
    > You will need some third party application like a Virtual Machine or the
    > small and freeware DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) to create an environment
    > where you can run DOS apps.
    >
    > Windows XP has in its Accessories an utility for transferring files and
    > settings to newer installations. I have never used it though many in this
    > forum have.
    >
    > Best of luck and welcome to the 64-bit world!
    > Carlos
    >
    >
    >
    > "Big.Doc.D" wrote:
    > > I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    > > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    > > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7.  I say "seems to say" because
    > > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    > > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    > > HP web-site (for example)?

    >
    > > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    > > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    > > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available.  I
    > > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7.  I'm a retired
    > > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    > > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    > > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    > > Ult.  Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    > > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.

    >
    > > I have a few problems, however.  I realize that to go from XP to 7
    > > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    > > file save/restore capability pre/post.  Will it work if I move from my
    > > XP to 7-64-bit?

    >
    > > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it?  Including
    > > DOS-based apps?  Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form?  Will
    > > those files be properly converted?

    >
    > > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    > > for sometime to come.  Any comments/suggestions?  Can any Microsoft
    > > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    > > types please do not respond)?- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Thank you for your answer Carlos - I guess it's time I convert that
    one DOS app I have. I appreciate the fact that you didn't post a
    bunch of childish garbage like so many responses on here have.
     
    Big.Doc.D, Jul 27, 2009
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Tmlyb2s=?=

    Upgrade from vista 32 bit to vista 64 bit

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmlyb2s=?=, Feb 2, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    395
    Dennis Pack
    Feb 3, 2007
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vw?=

    How do I upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vw?=, Feb 16, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    629
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Feb 20, 2007
  3. johnisccp
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    639
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    May 16, 2008
  4. speb
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    618
  5. karlaserv
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    839
    EmilyCarol
    Aug 30, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page