Planning to mix Catalyst 4507R with w/3com 3870's

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ned, May 14, 2005.

  1. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Can anyone tell me what the drawbacks are to mixing a Catalyst 4507
    with 3com 3870's? My boss is willing to pay for Cisco in our MDF, but
    wants the cheaper 3coms in all 10 of our IDFs. Will this cause any
    problems with vlans or anything else? We are connecting to the 3coms
    via multimode fiber at gigabit speeds.

    BTW, here is the 4507 I am ordering for voice and data. I would
    appreciate any suggestions on improving it.
    Thanks

    CATALYST 4500 CHASSIS
    1400W AC POWER SUPPLY
    C4500 1400W PWR SUPPLY
    CAT 4000 SUPIV 2 GE
    CAT 4507R RED SUPIV
    IOS BASIC L3 CAT4500
    CAT 4500 IOS-BASED

    Ned, May 14, 2005

  2. Ned

    Wayne Guest

    "Ned" <> wrote in message

    > Can anyone tell me what the drawbacks are to mixing a Catalyst 4507
    > with 3com 3870's? My boss is willing to pay for Cisco in our MDF, but
    > wants the cheaper 3coms in all 10 of our IDFs. Will this cause any
    > problems with vlans or anything else? We are connecting to the 3coms
    > via multimode fiber at gigabit speeds.
    >

    > BTW, here is the 4507 I am ordering for voice and data. I would
    > appreciate any suggestions on improving it.
    > Thanks
    >
    > CATALYST 4500 CHASSIS
    > 1400W AC POWER SUPPLY
    > C4500 1400W PWR SUPPLY
    > CAT 4000 SUPIV 2 GE
    > CAT 4507R RED SUPIV
    > IOS BASIC L3 CAT4500
    > CAT 4500 IOS-BASED

    I had a problem with a 3com SuperStack III switch in a mostly Cisco
    environement when using redundant uplinks. Seems the spanning tree
    protocols were not totally comaptable, but it could have been due to my
    ignorance on the 3com product line.

    Wayne, May 14, 2005