    Just trying to be prepared...

    Thanks
    Ken K
    Ken, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Ken

    Parrôtt Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:%AQxk.1$...
    >I am going to build a workstation for my daughter, who is a design student
    >and is going to run only design programs such as 3D Maxx, which takes
    >advantage of the 64-bit architecture.
    >
    > I am fairly familiar with XP Pro 32-bit,as we have 5 installs in the
    > family, but I am not familiar with the 64-bit program. Are there any
    > tricks I should be aware of for an install? Particular quirks of the
    > 64-bit version? Is there a website that I should know about if problems
    > arise or is this newsgroup likely to provide all that I would need? Just
    > trying to be prepared...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

    Try this from Charlie Russel :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

    HTH

    God Bless
    Parrôtt, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Ken

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 10/09/2008 in message <%AQxk.1$> Ken wrote:

    >I am fairly familiar with XP Pro 32-bit,as we have 5 installs in the
    >family, but I am not familiar with the 64-bit program. Are there any
    >tricks I should be aware of for an install? Particular quirks of the
    >64-bit version? Is there a website that I should know about if problems
    >arise or is this newsgroup likely to provide all that I would need? Just
    >trying to be prepared...

    The key is to ensure 64 bit drivers are available for all the hardware,
    the situation is a lot better now that Vista 64 is out.

    Otherwise I find it very similar - except it recognises my whole 8GB of
    RAM :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 10, 2008
  4. This NG is your single best resource. There are useful web sites, including
    my own blog and an FAQ that I wrote a while back. But it's really pretty
    similar to installing 32-bit XP. (It's actually closer to installing Server
    2003, but still pretty close.)

    The single biggest thing to be sure of is to have your drivers in hand
    before you start. Especially including drive controller drivers. Virtually
    all SATA controllers will require a driver. You need to have the drivers on
    a floppy and you'll be pressing F6 during the intial boot from CD when
    prompted. Put the floppy in, and follow the instructions at that point.

    If your boot drive is IDE, and not on a RAID controller, you won't need to
    worry about this. Any additional drivers and disks can be loaded after
    installation from CD or USB. But if your boot drive is not recognized, your
    ONLY option is a floppy F6 driver install. (This requirement goes away in
    Vista, which supports USB, CD/DVD, or Floppy for drivers.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Make sure that you know every piece of hardware that is going into this
    system - if, as an example, you are poing to use SATA Hard Drives (a good
    bet?) you must be certain that those specific devices have 64bit drivers
    developed for XP x64 and working with that Motherboard and BIOS.

    Find out how much memory you want and make sure the BIOS supports the
    amount, not all boards have a BIOS that will accomodate for having memory in
    all slots while running at the full rated speed. Usually, you can slow down
    the memory a bit or jack up the voltage one notch, but it's better to know
    in advance so you can buy the right speed or the right number of the right
    sized memory sticks.

    You will be wise if you start out by updating your BIOS as one of the first
    configuration jobs and remember that you must have the SATA drivers ready
    for the installation face (the F6 install option).

    Remember that Vista x64 drivers will probably not work, they have to be XP
    x64 drivers!

    And do check out the drivers for your prefered printer while you're at it -
    you may have to find alternatives?

    If you plan ahead and don't buy anything before you know it has got the
    drivers - it should be a walk-in-the-park, but many people here will
    probably recommend that you go with Vista instead, and specifically for the
    drivers issue. I didn't make the jump myself, I am perfectly happy with the
    present system, but I accknowledge that Vista may be the one to recommend.
    As long as you are building it yourself, you are in control, use that
    control and realize that there is nothing wrong with either system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 10, 2008
  6. Ken

    Mr. Vista Guest

    If the installation disk does not contain sp2, then dl it yourself & install
    it.

    Mr. Vista, Sep 12, 2008
  7. Ken

    Darek Guest

    As a creative professional myself - I use a wide range of programs, software,
    and equipment, most that is NOT compatible with the x64 XP - my advice is
    plan ahead and add a 32 bit OS along with your install, or just go with Vista
    as many companies have worked in Vista drivers and not 64 bit, it will be
    much less of a hassle for your daughter.
    However the bennefit of x64 XP - is the use of RAM which gives many
    of us creative types an ease of work flow.

    Darek, Sep 12, 2008