Plan 9

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Mar 1, 2008

  2. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in
    news::

    > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >

    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    It's a lot better than anything that ever won an Oscar.

    --
    Savagery of the relationships between people. Here, everyone is
    on the make, all of them doing their damndest to take someone

    J.M.G. LeClézio
    thanatoid, Mar 1, 2008

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote in
    >
    > > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    > > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    > >

    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    > It's a lot better than anything that ever won an Oscar.

    LOL!!!

    I am sure you are right on that one.
    I maybe see one movie a year.

    philo, Mar 1, 2008
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2008
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    > > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    > >
    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    > If you liked Plan 9 from Outer Space, you'll love this one:
    >
    > http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have a link to a video, but it should be available at
    > your rental store.
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    If a horror movie is done so badly that I can laugh...I consider it a good
    one.

    If a horror movie is done so well it scares me...
    I'd much rather skip it!

    That looks like a good one!!!!
    philo, Mar 2, 2008
  6. philo

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 00:32:32 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >philo wrote:
    >
    >> could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    >> so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >>
    >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    >If you liked Plan 9 from Outer Space, you'll love this one:
    >
    >http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/
    >
    >Sorry, I don't have a link to a video, but it should be available at
    >your rental store.

    Surely it can't beat this:

    http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html

    or

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/7g76s

    Heh.
    --
    However, the notion of someone posting to usenet while resembling a
    mutant chicken from outer space is not only amusing, but also helps put
    Mara, Mar 2, 2008
  7. Mara wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    >>> so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >>>
    >>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    >>If you liked Plan 9 from Outer Space, you'll love this one:
    >>
    >>http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/
    >>
    >>Sorry, I don't have a link to a video, but it should be available at
    >>your rental store.

    > Surely it can't beat this:
    >
    > http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html

    Mebbe. Mebbe not. But the Lost Skeleton is worth a look.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2008
  8. Blinky the Shark, Mar 2, 2008
  9. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "philo" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    >> > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >> >

    >> > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489
    >> > 183

    >> It's a lot better than anything that ever won an Oscar.
    >>

    > LOL!!!
    >
    > I am sure you are right on that one.
    > I maybe see one movie a year.

    I think it's been more than 5 years for me. And I have never
    seen ET, ANY of the Star Wars westerns, Titanix, Ringo's Evil
    Ring, Toy Stories, Hairies on Potties, or any currently popular
    'rats are cool in the kitchen' or 'cowboys have assholes too'
    trash. I /did/ see "Godfather" but I was just a kid and they
    dragged me in by force. Boring as hell.

    Kenneth Anger come back!

    thanatoid, Mar 2, 2008
  10. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/

    LOVE the 3-eyed giant frog! And "Animala" is a pretty cool name
    for a female character! Wonder just WHAT she does in the
    movie....

    thanatoid, Mar 2, 2008
  11. philo

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    > > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!

    > It's been on the best-turkeys lists for decades.
    >
    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    Big diff is that Plan 9 was trying to be good. Ed Wood always did his
    best.
    Cadavra was bad on purpose, a planned hoot.

    Ebert calls this "found camp" vs "made camp".

    MM
    MoiMoi, Mar 2, 2008
  12. philo

    Guest

    , Mar 2, 2008
  13. philo

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 20:37:47 -0800, wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    >>so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >>

    >>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183
    >>

    >Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
    >http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/

    "Mars needs more women"

    The very same movie that gave us a sneak peek at "Bat Girl".

    --

    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain(attributed)
    richard, Mar 2, 2008
  14. philo

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:14:26 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    >so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    >

    >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    Some time ago, one of the oddball movies I've seen stills from, very
    few stills, is an Italian thing by the name of "Spermula". I did not
    make that up.
    One might say it's an Italian adventure scifi flick with nudity.
    Something in the realm of "Flesh Gordon" or Barbarella.

    "Who are the best 3 directors of all time?"
    "John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford".

    richard, Mar 2, 2008
  15. philo

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:14:26 -0600, philo wrote:

    Digging this one up from the grave?

    From: "philo" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Plan 9
    Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/

    I installed it a few years back
    \and was thinking about trying it again.

    has anyone fooled with it lately?

    why?, Mar 2, 2008
  16. philo

    why? Guest

    why?, Mar 2, 2008
  17. philo

    philo Guest

    > On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:14:26 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    > Digging this one up from the grave?

    g2news2.google.com!news3.google.com!news4.google.com!border1.nntp.dca.gigane
    ws.com!nntp.giganews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.athenet.net!news
    ..athenet.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
    > From: "philo" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Subject: Plan 9
    > Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600
    >
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >

    > I installed it a few years back
    > \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >
    > has anyone fooled with it lately?

    Yes/

    I was going to start a new thread on that version of Plan 9...
    but the link was down yesterday.

    Plan 9 (the operating system) was something I installed about 4 years ago.
    Though I was able to install it and "fool around" with it a bit...
    I soon enough found that I was way over my head an not a smart enough geek
    to figure it out.

    Last week I gave it another go...and downloaded it and re-installed.
    Though there was not much development made in that time...
    there was just enough for me to actually be able to begin figuring things
    out...
    and after about 6 days...I was actually able to come up with a usable web
    browser (of sorts)...
    use FTP and perform other simple tasks.

    It's the successor operating system to Unix...
    and since it's been a long, cold and snowy winter...
    gave me a little something to do.

    <
    philo, Mar 2, 2008
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > >> "philo" <> wrote in

    > >> It's a lot better than anything that ever won an Oscar.
    > >>

    > > LOL!!!
    > >
    > > I am sure you are right on that one.
    > > I maybe see one movie a year.

    > I think it's been more than 5 years for me. And I have never
    > seen ET, ANY of the Star Wars westerns, Titanix, Ringo's Evil
    > Ring, Toy Stories, Hairies on Potties, or any currently popular
    > 'rats are cool in the kitchen' or 'cowboys have assholes too'
    > trash. I /did/ see "Godfather" but I was just a kid and they
    > dragged me in by force. Boring as hell.
    >
    > Kenneth Anger come back!

    <snip>

    Since I'm 58 years old...I've seen a lot of movies ...
    and until Star Wars came out...
    most all science fiction movies were pretty much like Plan 9.
    The intercom system of a space ship was typically an old dial-phone!

    Even to the dumb kid that I was when watching those, stuff like that brought
    a laugh.

    The first Star Wars movie was phenomenal!

    The girl-friend I had at the time used to always get me upset because she
    always dawdled to the point where
    we'd never get to a movie in time to see the beginning. So when we got to
    Star Wars, it had already gotten past the
    boring beginning. we entered the theatre just at the pint where R2D2 and
    C3PO were arguing as they traveled through
    the desert. Looking back, it actually made the movie more fascinating
    jumping in at that point...
    and it was several parsecs ahead of any sci-fi movie ever previously
    produced!

    Though I did see a few of the other Star Wars movies, I never bothered to go
    to all of them.

    As to the "Godfather" I enjoyed that too...
    but of course I was older than you when I saw it.

    But today, my GF and I never seem to have the time to go to the movies
    and there is really nothing out there to see.

    All American movies seem to have an obligitory car chase scene...
    which was one reason I usually went to foreign movies if any at all.
    BTW: Though influenced by Fellini of course...I also liked Woody Allen's
    "Startdust Memories"

    Oh...speaking of jumping into a movie at a point other than the
    beginning...here is one I recall well:

    When I was in high school...I once turned on the TV late at night and jumped
    in on a movie I had never seen before:

    Dr. Strangelove. All I saw was Slim Pickens fooling around in the bomb
    chamber...then immediately riding the bomb down.

    Then of course the movie ended, I tuned in during the last two minutes of
    the film and would not rest until finally
    I was able to see the whole thing!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Pickens

    BTW: I threw out my TV 15 years ago and never missed it.
    Yesterday when I watched Plan 9 was the first time I saw on movie "on line"
    philo, Mar 2, 2008
  19. philo

    Alang Guest

    Alang, Mar 2, 2008
  20. philo

    philo Guest

    "Alang" <> wrote in message
    > 01/03/2008 philo wrote:
    >
    > > could possiblybe one of the worst movies ever made...
    > > so horrible it's got a 5 star rating!!!
    > >

    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183

    > Nah. This one is the worst ever made
    >
    > http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=devil girl from mars
    >
    > I've seen both and paid to go into the theatre to see them too :(
    > --

    WoW I just watched a brief clip with that robot....Out_standing!!!

    LOL

    Of course, now that I think of it...
    there actually was a *good* sci-fi movie made back then

    The Day the Earth Stood Still

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY
    philo, Mar 2, 2008