Plan 9

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Mar 1, 2007

  2. philo

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600, philo wrote:

    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >

    > I installed it a few years back
    > \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >
    > has anyone fooled with it lately?

    By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur:
    'Plan 9 from Outer Space' was the worst film ever made.
    Good ol' Ed Wood!

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Mar 2, 2007

  3. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >>

    >> I installed it a few years back
    >> \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >>
    >> has anyone fooled with it lately?

    > By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur:
    > 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' was the worst film ever made.
    > Good ol' Ed Wood!

    I would think that's where the OS got its name. Science fiction is
    hardly unknown to Geek Nation. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 2, 2007
  4. On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:58:53 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur: 'Plan 9 from Outer
    > Space' was the worst film ever made. Good ol' Ed Wood!

    You'll also notice that it is released subject to terms of the "Lucent
    Public License," whatever that is. Loogie public license? Something like
    that? I don't trust IBM at all when it comes to such things.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 2, 2007
  5. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >>

    >> I installed it a few years back
    >> \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >>
    >> has anyone fooled with it lately?

    > By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur:
    > 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' was the worst film ever made.
    > Good ol' Ed Wood!

    Correction - it is *considered* by many to be the worst film
    ever made. Personally, I think it is better than most of the
    stuff in cinemas now.

    Anyway, it would appear that either Bell Labs are well aware of
    Mr. Wood (their "Plan 9" "Bunny" is called "Glenda" - among
    others, Mr. Wood made a film SOME consider WORSE than "P9FOS"
    called "Glen or Glenda") or their choices of these names is just
    an ASTOUNDING and bizarre coincidence.

    thanatoid, Mar 2, 2007
  6. philo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-01, philo <> wrote:
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >

    > I installed it a few years back
    > \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >
    > has anyone fooled with it lately?

    Never tried it - but comp.os.plan9 is active.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 2, 2007
  7. philo

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:58:53 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >>

    >> I installed it a few years back
    >> \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >>
    >> has anyone fooled with it lately?

    >By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur:
    >'Plan 9 from Outer Space' was the worst film ever made.

    No it wasn't.
    Anyone who thinks that has never seen 'Devil Girl from Mars'.
    I saw it on the camp cinema when I was a squaddy back in 1964. There
    has never been a worse movie ever
    http://www.badmovies.org/movies/devilgirl/

    >Good ol' Ed Wood!

    Genius compared to this lot

    Alfred, Mar 2, 2007
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Mar 3, 2007
  9. philo

    why? Guest

    On 02 Mar 2007 03:31:59 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    >Aardvark <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:10:36 -0600, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
    >>>

    >>> I installed it a few years back
    >>> \and was thinking about trying it again.
    >>>
    >>> has anyone fooled with it lately?

    >> By way of a tenuous connection, almost a non sequitur:
    >> 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' was the worst film ever made.
    >> Good ol' Ed Wood!
    >>

    >Correction - it is *considered* by many to be the worst film

    Yes, 'considered'.

    >ever made. Personally, I think it is better than most of the
    >stuff in cinemas now.
    >
    >Anyway, it would appear that either Bell Labs are well aware of
    >Mr. Wood (their "Plan 9" "Bunny" is called "Glenda" - among
    >others, Mr. Wood made a film SOME consider WORSE than "P9FOS"
    >called "Glen or Glenda") or their choices of these names is just

    GoG was very much worse.

    Me

    why?, Mar 3, 2007
  10. philo

    Guest

    , Mar 3, 2007
  11. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"philo" <> wrote in message

    >>Thanks for the replies...
    >>maybe I need to watch some bad sci-fi movies
    >>like Cat-Women of the Moon
    >>
    >>http://www.badmovies.org/movies/catwomen/index.html

    > Then on to
    > Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians.avi
    > voted by Fark.com as one of the worst.

    Not that anyone cares, but IMHO "Pulp Fiction" is the worst film
    ever made, IMHO. And everything Spielberg ever vomited. Oh yeah,
    "Eyes Wide Shut" comes pretty damn close, and it was a VERY sad
    closing to a career of a genius...

    thanatoid, Mar 4, 2007
  12. philo

    why? Guest

    On 04 Mar 2007 19:49:25 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> "philo" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"philo" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks for the replies...
    >>>maybe I need to watch some bad sci-fi movies
    >>>like Cat-Women of the Moon
    >>>
    >>>http://www.badmovies.org/movies/catwomen/index.html

    >> Then on to
    >> Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians.avi
    >> voted by Fark.com as one of the worst.
    >>

    >Not that anyone cares, but IMHO "Pulp Fiction" is the worst film
    >ever made, IMHO. And everything Spielberg ever vomited. Oh yeah,
    >"Eyes Wide Shut" comes pretty damn close, and it was a VERY sad
    >closing to a career of a genius...

    You have seen GoG / Plan 9 / SCCtM? The titles you mention were just
    bad.

    Me

    why?, Mar 4, 2007
  13. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On 04 Mar 2007 19:49:25 GMT, thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in

    >>> Then on to
    >>> Santa_Claus_Conquers_the_Martians.avi
    >>> voted by Fark.com as one of the worst.
    >>>

    >>Not that anyone cares, but IMHO "Pulp Fiction" is the worst
    >>film ever made, IMHO. And everything Spielberg ever
    >>vomited. Oh yeah, "Eyes Wide Shut" comes pretty damn close,
    >>and it was a VERY sad closing to a career of a genius...

    > You have seen GoG / Plan 9 / SCCtM? The titles you mention
    > were just bad.
    >
    > Me

    Oh god, I have a stalker...

    I have seen the Wood films, not SCCtM. But I have seen MANY
    other films like them. I used to study and teach film, mostly
    underground/independent, for over 10 years. After you've seen
    over 5 thousand films, some of them 20 times or more, you sort
    of have to get out. I did, anyway.

    After I saw "Pulp Fiction" I decided never to "go to the movies"
    again - unless I somehow end up at the Paris Cinematheque and
    finally get to see some stuff which has in some cases NEVER been
    seen or heard of in countries like the U.S.

    Out of respect for Kubrick, even though the two leads were a BIG
    quality tip-off, I did go see "EWS" and you know what I thought
    of it.

    AFA directors like Ed Wood, and many others almost no one has
    ever heard of, they are in a category of their own. Their films,
    in some cases made for 10-50 grand, can not be considered by
    anywhere near the same standards as what is churned out by the
    commercial machines. The authors should be admired for their
    dedication - and sometimes dementia (hmmm.... not unlike the
    Usenet come to think of it...) - but dementia is a lot more
    interesting than PBS.

    80% of the stuff made by Hollywood would look and sound exactly
    the same as the Wood films if it did not have multimillion
    budgets and thousands of people working on them. And in most
    cases, far less actual original thought and creativity goes into
    them.

    thanatoid, Mar 5, 2007