Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
    Running XP and OE 6.

    I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

    But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger Font, and apparently bolded.
    Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    Never happened before.

    Any thoughts on ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Old Gringo Guest

    On or about Sunday, November 27, 2005, 8:29:23 AM,, In the
    24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group, Without Any Hesitation Robert11
    Wrote The Following:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
    > Running XP and OE 6.
    >
    > I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button when I compose or receive anyrthing.
    >
    > But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger Font, and apparently bolded.
    > Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > Never happened before.
    >
    > Any thoughts on ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I have discovered over the past 13 years that a computer will only do
    what it is told. You might want to check your settings for both Rich
    and Plain text.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Robert11

    samuel Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in

    > Hello:
    >
    > Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook
    > Express. Running XP and OE 6.
    >
    > I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts
    > set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text
    > HTML button when I compose or receive anyrthing.
    >
    > But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in
    > a larger Font, and apparently bolded. Sure isn't 10 point,
    > Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > Never happened before.
    >
    > Any thoughts on ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob
    > ------=_NextPart_000_008D_01C5F335.0D8D0890
    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    > charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2769"
    > name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE>
    > </HEAD><FONT size=2>
    > <BODY>
    > <DIV>Hello:</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook
    > Express.</DIV> <DIV>Running XP and OE 6.</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my
    > fonts set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>This is what shows up correctly&nbsp;if&nbsp;I click on
    > the Rich Text HTML button when&nbsp;I compose or receive
    > anyrthing.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>But,&nbsp;if I click the &nbsp;Format/ Plain Text button,
    > it shows up in a larger Font, and apparently bolded.</DIV>
    > <DIV>Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>Never happened before.</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>Any thoughts on ?</DIV>
    > <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    > <DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
    > <DIV>Bob</DIV></BODY></HTML></FONT>
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_008D_01C5F335.0D8D0890--

    turn off HTML ugly

    samuel, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    You are making a newsgroup post here in html. You should be configured
    to post to all newsgroups in plaintext. It is also best to email in
    plaintext unless you have some specific html related purpose for the
    email and you are also 'comprehensively' familiar with not only which
    mailreader your recipient will be using, but also exactly how that
    particular has their mailreader configured.

    If you aren't familiar with how your own agent is configured, it isn't
    likely that you will be completely knowledgeable about how someone
    else's agent is configured in every section.

    You should change the Send in OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab - news
    sending format - check plaintext, not html

    > I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
    > 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    Compose is in the tab which controls the default font for composing html
    email and news. You shouldn't be posting to a newsgroup in html. See
    above.

    > This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
    > button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

    What you see when you are composing something in html is an entirely
    different subject than what you see when you are receiving something in
    plaintext *OR* html. And, what you see when you are composing something
    in plaintext, which you /should/ be, is controlled by your /reading/
    font choices, because your sending font choices are designed to
    configure html sending.

    Your plaintext sending font reading choices are to be made by your
    recipient.

    If you are properly configured to send in plaintext, the font you are
    seeing when you are composing a plaintext message is controlled in the
    reading section.

    > But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
    > larger Font, and apparently bolded.
    > Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    When you are configured in the Send as plaintext, you control what font
    you see when you are typing in the Read section.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
    > 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    Forget about html. Send all of your mail and newsmessages as plaintext.

    OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab - check plaintext for news and check
    plaintext for mail.

    > This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
    > button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

    You should also be reading html in plaintext as a security measure.

    OE/ Tools/ Options/ Read tab - top section - read all messages in plaint
    text.

    > But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
    > larger Font, and apparently bolded.
    > Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

    You control your plaintext reading and composing font in that same tab
    section

    OE/ Tools/ Options/ Read tab - Fonts button - controls the size and font
    for both proportional plaintext as well as fixed width. That section
    also controls the default encoding. By default, your reading and
    composing will be in proportional, but if you are reading a message and
    you want it to be in fixed width or a larger/smaller font, you control
    that in View/ Text size - which can make the font larger, smaller, or
    fixed. You can also change the encoding in there. Any changes in that
    view fall back to the default when that message is closed.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-27, Robert11 <> wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
    > Running XP and OE 6.
    >
    > I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10
    > point, Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button
    > when I compose or receive anyrthing.
    >
    > But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger
    > Font, and apparently bolded. Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
    >
    > Never happened before.
    >
    > Any thoughts on ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Why would your settings for "rich text" have any effect on your settings
    for "plain text"? Two different things.

    Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
    difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Whiskers spewed forth:
    > On 2005-11-27, Robert11 <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
    >> Running XP and OE 6.
    >>
    >> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
    >> 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
    >>
    >> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
    >> button when I compose or receive anyrthing.
    >>
    >> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
    >> larger Font, and apparently bolded. Sure isn't 10 point, Regular,
    >> Ariel.
    >>
    >> Never happened before.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    > Why would your settings for "rich text" have any effect on your
    > settings for "plain text"? Two different things.
    >
    > Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
    > difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

    To be specific, wouldn't HTML mess up the automatic readers used by
    sight-impaired users?

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  8. Sherwood Shark, Nov 28, 2005
  9. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-27, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Whiskers spewed forth:

    snip

    >> Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
    >> difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

    > To be specific, wouldn't HTML mess up the automatic readers used by
    > sight-impaired users?

    So I've heard; makes sense. Plain-text software is also flummoxed by it
    (fortunately, slrn has a macro to extract content from HTML coding, which
    works pretty well).

    Some news-servers drop any HTML posts in text groups.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2005
  10. Robert11

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    > Some news-servers drop any HTML posts in text groups.

    And some newsreaders clean up HTML and just ignore it; as long as it is
    properly formatted.
    I would like to think modern TTL tools would be able to do that, but
    I'm not sure they have money to develop such things frequently.

    Mitch, Nov 28, 2005