  1. what to do

    what to do Guest

    Lionel <> wrote in message news:<beiu6u$pbk$>...
    > On 10 Jul 2003 05:19:53 GMT, in
    > <>,
    > rousers (Neale) said:
    >
    > >Just ordered a Canon i950 photo printer. How well can I expect it to cope with
    > >mundane tasks such as letters?

    > Should be fine. Just remember to print such things in ordinary quality
    > mode + plain paper, rather than photo mode + photo paper, or it'll be
    > slow & waste ink.

    any recs or warnings re using plain paper in the Canon i950. We
    needed a printer anyway and $226 is still bearable, however, we know
    that we may print text more often than photos. TIA.
    what to do, Jul 11, 2003

  2. what to do

    odottahw Guest

    On 11 Jul 2003 11:28:39 -0700, (what to do)
    wrote:

    >any recs or warnings re using plain paper in the Canon i950. We
    >needed a printer anyway and $226 is still bearable, however, we know
    >that we may print text more often than photos. TIA.

    I have the i850 and I don't recommend using non-inkjet specialty
    paper. If by plain paper you mean multipurpose (inkjet+laser) paper
    or copier paper, the black ink will look fuzzy and disappointing,
    regardless of whatever print quality level or ink output level you
    choose. The fuzziness drove me crazy until I switched to inkjet
    paper.

    For text printing, the very least you should use inkjet paper
    (currently onsale at office depot for $1.98 for 500 sheets). It's not
    laser quality but it will look far less fuzzy and won't drive your
    eyes crazy.

    If you use photo paper though, your text will indeed look very laser
    sharp. But, this is too expensive paper. So do this only for testing
    purposes or resumes. :)

    One more thing, watch out for water. Canon text printouts seem far
    more susceptible to smearing even though they use pigmented
    (supposedly smear resistent) black ink. My older HP inkjet didn't
    smear as noticeably under similar moist conditions.

    With my experience, I find that it's probably better to get a laser
    printer if you do a lot of text and want sharp text quality. I'm
    saving up for one since I'm not entirely happy with my i850 text
    quality even with inkjet paper (but I've been a laser printer user for
    years prior and grew accustomed to the laser sharp text quality).
    odottahw, Jul 11, 2003