placing IDS??

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dong Lee, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Dong Lee

    Dong Lee Guest

    Hi,

    We have two routers and one layer3 switch running BGP. They are fully
    meshed and wired with fiber.
    Now we are trying to put IDS between two routers and switch, but we have a
    little problem how we are going to do this. We can't connect both routers
    to IDS since IDS only allow single connection.
    So We gave it a thought and came up with one idea, but we are not sure
    whether if it works or not.. :(

    We thought of putting cisco 3550-12g as below,

    Router1--------Router2
    - -
    - -
    - -
    Cisco 3550
    -
    -
    IDS
    -
    -
    Switch

    The idea is to make Cisco3550 switch passive and connect router1 and
    router2 to have single point.

    Will this work??

    Thank you

    Dong Lee, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Dong Lee

    chris Guest

    That will work

    chris, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Dong Lee

    Brian V Guest

    Cisco IDS does NOT go in between devices, it is not a pass thru device. It
    uses a monitor port. Simply span the 2 ports that the 2 routers are plugged
    into to the monitor port. Presto, your done.
    -Brian

    Brian V, Nov 20, 2003