Place's that won't allow the GPs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Herring, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Mark Herring

    Mark Herring Guest

    I've been doing a bit of research...

    There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    creeping into this group.

    Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---

    Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
    plus the forums

    RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
    asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
    people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.

    The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
    Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)

    I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
    that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
    right to the kill file. That's gross.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Mark,

    The cost of freedom of speech is people who say things you do not like. I
    have been very guilty of responding to Preddy under a few different names,
    none of which are my real one.

    Allegedly he has killfiled me after I outposted him today. It took him less
    than an hour to kill me when I rebutted his every post and made no attempt
    at reasoning. Perhaps we can all learn something from George after all...

    You probably have killfiled me though anyway and won't see this.

    I'll be back posting under another alias tomorrow, one which I will stick
    with and that will have GP firmly in the killfile.

    Braindead Preddy, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Mark Herring

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark Herring wrote:

    > I've been doing a bit of research...
    >
    > There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    > moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    > creeping into this group.
    >
    > Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---
    >
    > Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
    > plus the forums
    >
    > RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
    > asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
    > people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.
    >
    > The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
    > Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)
    >
    > I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
    > that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
    > right to the kill file. That's gross.
    > **************************
    > Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    > Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    make that choice for me.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Mark Herring

    Steve Young Guest

    > > Mark Herring wrote:

    > > I've been doing a bit of research...

    > > There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    > > moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    > > creeping into this group.

    > > Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---

    > > Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
    > > plus the forums

    > > RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
    > > asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
    > > people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.

    > > The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
    > > Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)

    > > I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
    > > that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
    > > right to the kill file. That's gross.

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    > One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    > the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    > be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    > make that choice for me.

    Me as well Ron, but it begs the question: Is requesting and maintaining
    discussion, even vaguely within the scope of the charter, or the groups
    consensus, harmful or censoring?
    Steve Young, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Mark Herring

    Paul H. Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Herring wrote:

    > One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    > the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    > be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    > make that choice for me.

    And one of the downsides to such grand pronouncements is that they are
    over-simplistic almost to the point of being utterly worthless.

    When one enters a usenet group named "rec.photo.digital", it is not
    unreasonable to expect that what one finds there will be at least marginally
    related to digital photography. If the the content of the group is not
    accurately described by the group's title, then the vaunted "freedom of
    choice" over what one reads already has been taken away, in much the same
    way as it would be if one purchased a magazine titled "Modern Music" only to
    find out later it contained articles mainly about dollhouses and bratwurst.

    Organization of material is almost as important as the material itself, if
    the dissemination of knowledge and/or information is the goal. In
    illustration, I note that college classes are not held in an auditorium in
    which all of the professors for all the subjects speak simultaneously,
    leaving it up to the student to mentally filter out information he or she
    needs from all the other distracting voices. To the contrary, classes are
    arranged wiith such filtering done in advance by having distinct classrooms
    and organized subjects so that students may devote their time to the
    subjects they have *chosen* to learn, rather than having to waste time in
    constantly separating the wanted from the noise, the fabled wheat from the
    chaff.

    Freedom of choice requires, above all else, real choices from which to
    select. When all choices are equivalent, you effectively have chaos, not
    liberty.
    Paul H., Jan 21, 2004
  6. Mark Herring

    Adam M Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:14:28 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Mark Herring wrote:
    >
    >> I've been doing a bit of research...
    >>
    >> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    >> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    >> creeping into this group.

    <SNIP>
    >One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    >the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    >be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    >make that choice for me.

    Amen brother. My eyes are my kill file. I read what interests me and
    ignore the Trolls. I do however at times find great enjoyment in the
    banter between a truly effective troll and a some intelligent posters.
    In fact, rec.martial-arts is almost all flame war all the time but it
    is a daily read for me. :)

    Adam M
    Adam M, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Mark Herring

    Steve Young Guest

    > >>Mark Herring wrote:
    > >> I've been doing a bit of research...
    > >>
    > >> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    > >> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    > >> creeping into this group.

    > <SNIP

    > >Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > >One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    > >the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    > >be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    > >make that choice for me.

    > "Adam M" <> wrote
    > Amen brother. My eyes are my kill file. I read what interests me and
    > ignore the Trolls. I do however at times find great enjoyment in the
    > banter between a truly effective troll and a some intelligent posters.

    > In fact, rec.martial-arts is almost all flame war all the time but it
    > is a daily read for me. :)

    Reminds me of a few news admin groups
    news.admin.net-abuse.usenet in particular, comes to mind

    Allow me to tender this piece of wisdom:
    Steve Young, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Mark Herring

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve Young wrote:

    >>>Mark Herring wrote:

    >>>I've been doing a bit of research...

    >>>There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
    >>>moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
    >>>creeping into this group.

    >>>Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---

    >>>Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
    >>>plus the forums

    >>>RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
    >>>asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
    >>>people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.

    >>>The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
    >>>Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)

    >>>I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
    >>>that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
    >>>right to the kill file. That's gross.

    >>"Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    >>One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
    >>the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
    >>be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
    >>make that choice for me.

    > Me as well Ron, but it begs the question: Is requesting and maintaining
    > discussion, even vaguely within the scope of the charter, or the groups
    > consensus, harmful or censoring?

    No, only fruitless. There is no substitute for a good filter program.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 22, 2004