    jamie kim Guest

    will the price d40 drop once the d40X come out? the d40 is priced at
    $545 with kit lens at amazon at this point.
    jamie kim, Mar 8, 2007

  2. jamie kim

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:20:58 -0800, jamie kim wrote
    (in article <>):

    > will the price d40 drop once the d40X come out? the d40 is priced at
    > $545 with kit lens at amazon at this point.

    Unlikely. The D40 has been out for only four months and the D40x costs $250
    more. It appears that Nikon will be offering both cameras for awhile.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Mar 8, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    C J Campbell <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:20:58 -0800, jamie kim wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > will the price d40 drop once the d40X come out? the d40 is priced at
    > > $545 with kit lens at amazon at this point.

    > Unlikely. The D40 has been out for only four months and the D40x costs $250
    > more. It appears that Nikon will be offering both cameras for awhile.

    The 40x is a sales gimic aimed at people who think the few extra mega
    pixels are necessary. The price of the D40 will not drop unless Nikon
    decides to stop production. At about 800.00 the D40x can no longer be
    considered an entry level camera.

    The D40 or D50 are both much better image recorders than 99% of the
    people buying them are photographers.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis
    Ockham's Razor, Mar 8, 2007
  4. jamie kim

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:35:34 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote
    (in article <-sjc.supernews.net>):

    > In article <>,
    > C J Campbell <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:20:58 -0800, jamie kim wrote
    >> (in article <>):
    >>
    >>> will the price d40 drop once the d40X come out? the d40 is priced at
    >>> $545 with kit lens at amazon at this point.

    >> Unlikely. The D40 has been out for only four months and the D40x costs $250
    >> more. It appears that Nikon will be offering both cameras for awhile.

    > The 40x is a sales gimic aimed at people who think the few extra mega
    > pixels are necessary. The price of the D40 will not drop unless Nikon
    > decides to stop production. At about 800.00 the D40x can no longer be
    > considered an entry level camera.
    >
    > The D40 or D50 are both much better image recorders than 99% of the
    > people buying them are photographers.

    Truly. Arguably, for most people the D40 will provide sharper images than the
    D40x. You have to have steady hands or a tripod and use great care to get any
    additional resolution above 6 or 8 megapixels. More than that and
    carelessness just leads to magnified image blur, not to mention additional
    problems with noise. The D40 is a great travel and vacation shooter. The D40x
    would be less so.

    C J Campbell, Mar 8, 2007
  5. "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:35:34 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote
    > (in article <-sjc.supernews.net>):
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> C J Campbell <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:20:58 -0800, jamie kim wrote
    >>> (in article <>):

    >>> Unlikely. The D40 has been out for only four months and the D40x costs
    >>> $250
    >>> more. It appears that Nikon will be offering both cameras for awhile.

    >> The 40x is a sales gimic aimed at people who think the few extra mega
    >> pixels are necessary. The price of the D40 will not drop unless Nikon
    >> decides to stop production. At about 800.00 the D40x can no longer be
    >> considered an entry level camera.
    >>
    >> The D40 or D50 are both much better image recorders than 99% of the
    >> people buying them are photographers.
    >>

    > Truly. Arguably, for most people the D40 will provide sharper images than
    > the
    > D40x. You have to have steady hands or a tripod and use great care to get
    > any
    > additional resolution above 6 or 8 megapixels. More than that and
    > carelessness just leads to magnified image blur, not to mention additional
    > problems with noise. The D40 is a great travel and vacation shooter. The
    > D40x
    > would be less so.
    >
    > --
    > Waddling Eagle
    > World Famous Flight Instructor

    I don't understand how greater resolution of the sensor would contribute to
    a 'magnified image blur'.
    I think the absolute blur would be the same based on mechanics/ optics, but
    the image of the blur would be recorded with more fidelity with the denser
    sensor. I understand that under 'normal' circumstances, based on vibration
    and sharpness of focus, that the extra pixels may not turn out a better
    image, but it shouldn't be worse.

    ??
    CJKillingsworth, Mar 9, 2007