    look good. I like the rich blue skies that a polarizing filter can
    give but it does not look good when the sky looks 'blotchy'. Any
    comments or suggestions?

    Mardon, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Skip M Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns97556032E2D37mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99.130...
    >I recently started using a Hoya S-HMC Circular Polarizing filter on a
    > Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens with a 20D camera. At the 16mm focal
    > length, a blue sky often looks like a rich, dark blue in one part of
    > the frame and fades to light blue in another part. Is this an
    > inherent problem when using polarizing filters on a super wide-angle
    > lens? I suspect it's caused by the different angles of incidence,
    > and therefore different polarization, of the skylight on one side of
    > the frame compared to the other side. Whatever the cause, it doesn't
    > look good. I like the rich blue skies that a polarizing filter can
    > give but it does not look good when the sky looks 'blotchy'. Any
    > comments or suggestions?

    Yes, it is. And there really isn't any solution, it's a fact of life with
    ultra wides and polarizing filters.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote:

    > Yes, it is. And there really isn't any solution, it's a fact of
    > life with ultra wides and polarizing filters.

    Thanks, Skip. I was afraid that might be the case. :(

    Mardon, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Skip M Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    > "Skip M" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, it is. And there really isn't any solution, it's a fact of
    >> life with ultra wides and polarizing filters.
    >>

    > Thanks, Skip. I was afraid that might be the case. :(

    On the bright side, if you crop an 8x12 with the light transition in the
    corners down to an 8x10, you'll lose most of it...

    Skip M, Jan 26, 2006