PKZip

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:21:37 +1200, Brian Dooley
    <> wrote:

    >After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    >
    >Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    >and 'update files'?

    Doesn't "freshen" mean update them only with a newer version, whereas
    "update" just blats everything?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Enkidu

    Brian Dooley Guest

    --
    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Enkidu

    Mike Dee Guest

    Brian Dooley <> wrote in

    > After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    >
    > Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    > and 'update files'?

    freshen - compress only files that exist in the .ZIP and that have changed

    update - compress new and update existing files incremental - compress only
    files that have the archive attribute on and subsequently turns off the
    archive attribute (DOS, OS/2)

    Mike Dee, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Brian Dooley wrote:
    > After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    >
    > Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    > and 'update files'?

    Just out of interest - why PKZIP when WINZIP offers more (IMHO)?

    Bryan Souster, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Enkidu

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On 21 Nov 2003 06:18:58 GMT, Mike Dee <>
    wrote:

    >Brian Dooley <> wrote in
    >
    >> After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    >>
    >> Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    >> and 'update files'?

    >freshen - compress only files that exist in the .ZIP and that have changed
    >
    >update - compress new and update existing files incremental - compress only
    >files that have the archive attribute on and subsequently turns off the
    >archive attribute (DOS, OS/2)

    I really want to understand a freebie which I'm sure is just
    tarting up PKZip for use as a backup programme.

    I used to use Fastback, which did exactly what I wanted ie a full
    backup set followed by a regular differential backup set which
    picked up changes from the full backup, thus one differential set
    which changed all the time, and one full set containing original
    data.

    Eventually the differential set grew too big, at which time I did
    a new full set.

    It looks as though 'update' will do the trick but I haven't
    sussed it out properly yet.

    --
    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Enkidu

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, lid says...
    > Brian Dooley wrote:
    > > After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    > >
    > > Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    > > and 'update files'?

    > Just out of interest - why PKZIP when WINZIP offers more (IMHO)?

    Does Winzip have a CLI?

    PKZIP certainly does. This means you can write batch files and schedule
    them to run at certain times with the task scheduler.

    Mainlander, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Enkidu

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, *@*.*
    says...
    > In article <>, lid says...
    > > Brian Dooley wrote:
    > > > After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    > > > and 'update files'?

    > > Just out of interest - why PKZIP when WINZIP offers more (IMHO)?

    > Does Winzip have a CLI?

    Yes, there is a (free I think) command line addon for Winzip.

    > PKZIP certainly does. This means you can write batch files and schedule
    > them to run at certain times with the task scheduler.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Enkidu

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:12 +1300, "Bryan Souster"
    <> wrote:

    >Brian Dooley wrote:
    >> After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    >>
    >> Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    >> and 'update files'?

    >Just out of interest - why PKZIP when WINZIP offers more (IMHO)?

    But can WINZIP do what I described in my last post ie
    differential backups?

    --
    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Enkidu

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, brian-
    says...

    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:12 +1300, "Bryan Souster"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Brian Dooley wrote:
    > >> After several years I'm trying to get to grips with PKZip again.
    > >>
    > >> Can somebody remind me of the difference between 'freshen files'
    > >> and 'update files'?

    > >Just out of interest - why PKZIP when WINZIP offers more (IMHO)?
    > >

    > But can WINZIP do what I described in my last post ie
    > differential backups?

    From the CLI addon, help file...

    wzzip -u test.zip @Zipit.lst

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Nov 24, 2003
  10. > From the CLI addon, help file...

    > wzzip -u test.zip @Zipit.lst

    i use a command very similar to that, for backups from my main drive to the
    secondary one. works well, especially when put in a .bat file and combined
    with the task scheduler... :)

    Rimu Atkinson, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Enkidu

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:51:25 +1300, T-Boy wrote:

    > In article <>, *@*.*
    > says...
    >> In article <>, lid says...

    [snip]

    >> Does Winzip have a CLI?

    > Yes, there is a (free I think) command line addon for Winzip.

    [snip]

    I think that's funny, seeing as how Winzip started off (AFAICR) as a
    GUI front-end to programs like PK-ZIP and LHARC ;-)

    Murray

    Murray Symon, Nov 24, 2003