    settings my pics are pixelated.

    Help?

    Angelo DePalma
    Angelo DePalma, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Angelo DePalma

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Angelo DePalma"

    >I have a Minolta Dimage S404, 4 megapixel camera. It's a nice camera I
    >guess, but whenever I print the pictures they're extremely pixelated.
    >
    >What are the proper quality and resolution settings for normal sized prints?
    >I have a feeling the prints are too small for the resolution I'm using.
    >
    >My available image sizes range from 640x480 to 2272 x 1704, and the quality
    >from "Super Fine" to "economy."
    >
    >I know the higher these settings, the larger the file, but at the highest
    >settings my pics are pixelated.

    If you shoot 2272 x 1704 in super fine mode you should be able to get good
    8x10" prints or smaller, I'd guess. This is a bit over 200 ppi input
    resolution, which should be adequate with a good printer. Certainly you
    shouldn't be seeing "extremely pixelated" prints at this size.

    How large are your prints, what program are you using to print from, and what
    is the ppi you're printing at? Which printer, and which paper?

    >I have a feeling the prints are too small for the resolution I'm using.

    It would normally be the opposite, the prints are too BIG for the resolution
    you're using, if you're getting pixelated prints.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Angelo DePalma

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Angelo DePalma wrote:

    > I have a Minolta Dimage S404, 4 megapixel camera. It's a nice camera I
    > guess, but whenever I print the pictures they're extremely pixelated.
    >
    > What are the proper quality and resolution settings for normal sized prints?
    > I have a feeling the prints are too small for the resolution I'm using.
    >
    > My available image sizes range from 640x480 to 2272 x 1704, and the quality
    > from "Super Fine" to "economy."
    >
    > I know the higher these settings, the larger the file, but at the highest
    > settings my pics are pixelated.

    What printer do you have and what software are you using to print your images ?

    What settings are you adjusting prior to printing ?
    Jim Townsend, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Guys,

    Thanks for your responses.

    I'm not printing the pictures, I'm sending them out for processing. I'm
    getting standard snapshot size -- 5x4 or something? With the cost of ink and
    photo paper these days it doesn't pay ( in my opinion) to print the photos.

    I also notice when these pictures are on the screen, they look better at
    full size than in "best fit" mode.

    Thanks,

    Angelo

    Angelo DePalma, Sep 4, 2003