    lens used. what might be the problem here? any help appreciated.

    thanks,
    bala
    bv, Jun 1, 2007

  2. bv

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    bv <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > for some of the photos taken using my eos 20d, i have started noticing
    > a black spot. please see the photos in my flickr set:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/_aperture/sets/72157600293059088/
    >
    > i started noticing it recently and seem to be visible under some
    > exposures. size seems to change (though i am not very sure of it!).
    > i first suspected some particle on the lens, but i tried with
    > different lenses, and the problem seem to be there irrespective of the
    > lens used. what might be the problem here? any help appreciated.

    Your camera's sensor probably needs to be cleaned. If there's a good
    local camera store in your area, take it there to have it cleaned. The
    cost should be fairly modest.
    Shawn Hirn, Jun 1, 2007

  3. bv

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > bv <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> for some of the photos taken using my eos 20d, i have started noticing
    >> a black spot. please see the photos in my flickr set:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/_aperture/sets/72157600293059088/
    >>
    >> i started noticing it recently and seem to be visible under some
    >> exposures. size seems to change (though i am not very sure of it!).
    >> i first suspected some particle on the lens, but i tried with
    >> different lenses, and the problem seem to be there irrespective of the
    >> lens used. what might be the problem here? any help appreciated.

    > Your camera's sensor probably needs to be cleaned. If there's a good
    > local camera store in your area, take it there to have it cleaned. The
    > cost should be fairly modest.

    I had the sensor in my 10D cleaned at a local camera store once. They
    charged $75. After that I did some research on the internet and ordered
    materials to clean the sensor myself. I can't remember where I bought the
    tool, like a rubber spatula about 70% the height of the sensor, but the
    other items are available at many camera stores. Basically, you wrap a
    4"x4" Pec Pad around the tool and tape it with scotch tape, put 2-3 drops of
    Eclipse (high grade alcohol) on the Pec Pad and while holding the tool at 45
    degrees wipe it across the sensor, slide to the other side of the sensor
    angle the back the other way at 45 degrees and wipe in the opposite
    direction. A 100 count package of 4"x4" Pec Pads is about $6-$7 dollars and
    2 oz of Eclipse is $10-$12. That much cleaning material lasts me 2-3 years.

    Actually on the Canon, and probably others, you aren't actually cleaning the
    sensor, but are cleaning a filter that covers the sensor.

    Ron
    Ron Recer, Jun 1, 2007