Pixar to move to the G5 and OSX ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Who is this, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    From
    http://www.macrumors.com/
    A number of independent reports have indicated the same thing... that
    Pixar is moving to Mac OS X...

    Readers may remember a report in February in which CNet reported that
    Pixar was moving from Sun servers to Intel based servers for their
    render farms. At present, this will remain unchanged. However, new
    reports (and one user Siggraph post ) indicate that Pixar's internal
    applications and pre-visualiation software is moving to Mac OS X, and
    (presumably) to PowerMac G5's.

    Pixar demonstrated Renderman OS X at Siggraph this year (with benchmarks
    between Xeon and G5 machines), and Architosh reports that RenderMan for
    OS X beta will be available in September, with the final version
    shipping later this year.

    Meanwhile, Pixar's website reveals they are currently hiring a Mac OS X
    Migration Contractor at this time.

    Who is this, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Who is this

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Who is this <> wrote:

    > From
    > http://www.macrumors.com/
    > A number of independent reports have indicated the same thing... that
    > Pixar is moving to Mac OS X...

    That'll be quite a coup for Apple.

    How did they convince the CEO?

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Who is this <> wrote:
    >
    > > From
    > > http://www.macrumors.com/
    > > A number of independent reports have indicated the same thing... that
    > > Pixar is moving to Mac OS X...

    > That'll be quite a coup for Apple.
    >
    > How did they convince the CEO?
    >
    > -- Bruce

    Heh
    Its pretty typical of Mac advocates to only quote half the story.
    It says that their renderfarm of 1024 Intel processors running Linux will
    remain.

    lily, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <9XJWa.8782$>, "lily" <>
    wrote:

    > "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > Who is this <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > From
    > > > http://www.macrumors.com/
    > > > A number of independent reports have indicated the same thing... that
    > > > Pixar is moving to Mac OS X...

    > > That'll be quite a coup for Apple.
    > >
    > > How did they convince the CEO?
    > >
    > > -- Bruce

    > Heh
    > Its pretty typical of Mac advocates to only quote half the story.
    > It says that their renderfarm of 1024 Intel processors running Linux will
    > remain.

    Actually I quoted the whole article, and the intimation was "for now"

    Who is this, Aug 2, 2003
  5. Who is this

    AD. Guest

    lily <> wrote in message
    > Heh
    > Its pretty typical of Mac advocates to only quote half the story.
    > It says that their renderfarm of 1024 Intel processors running Linux will
    > remain.

    I think replacing the artists workstations is a much bigger coup than
    replacing the renderfarm.

    Render farms have bugger all requirements apart from being cheap. The guts
    of the rendering code has next to no platform specific features. The
    necessary hardware is basically just a cpu or two, some ram, and a network
    interface - no support for high end video hardware etc needed.

    In saying that, Linux is starting to make an impact on workstations in the
    movie industry too.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 2, 2003
  6. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <9XJWa.8782$>, "lily" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message

    that

    > > > That'll be quite a coup for Apple.
    > > >
    > > > How did they convince the CEO?
    > > >
    > > > -- Bruce

    > > Heh
    > > Its pretty typical of Mac advocates to only quote half the story.
    > > It says that their renderfarm of 1024 Intel processors running Linux

    will
    > > remain.

    > Actually I quoted the whole article, and the intimation was "for now"

    What advantage do you think there would be running Renderman on a PPC in
    *nix compared to running Renderman on a x86 in *nix.
    Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February ?
    The bean counters would go ballistic !

    lily, Aug 3, 2003
  7. Who is this

    T.N.O Guest

    "lily" wrote
    | Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February
    ?
    | The bean counters would go ballistic !

    Unless it made it fast enough to make the investment worth while, but it
    would have to be incredibly quick to do that.

    T.N.O, Aug 3, 2003
  8. Who is this

    AD. Guest

    lily wrote:

    > Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February
    > ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

    Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your CEO is
    demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both platforms, you
    could just add the new machines in to the existing farm. The beauty of
    render farms is that the machines are all independent of each other -
    unlike some other computation clusters.

    Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual Athlon or
    Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a rack of Apple
    XServes.

    Although I would like to try out an XServe for use in a small LAN.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 3, 2003
  9. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bgk05o$pnmkg$-berlin.de>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > lily wrote:
    >
    > > Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February
    > > ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

    > Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your CEO is
    > demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both platforms, you
    > could just add the new machines in to the existing farm. The beauty of
    > render farms is that the machines are all independent of each other -
    > unlike some other computation clusters.
    >
    > Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual Athlon or
    > Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a rack of Apple
    > XServes.

    Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
    out performed the dual Xenon

    Who is this, Aug 4, 2003
  10. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bgk05o$pnmkg$-berlin.de>,
    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    > > lily wrote:
    > >
    > > > Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in

    February
    > > > ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

    > > Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your CEO

    is
    > > demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both platforms, you
    > > could just add the new machines in to the existing farm. The beauty of
    > > render farms is that the machines are all independent of each other -
    > > unlike some other computation clusters.
    > >
    > > Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual

    Athlon or
    > > Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a rack of Apple
    > > XServes.

    > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
    > out performed the dual Xenon

    Benchmarketing is always total bollocks, and these tests have been proved to
    be shallow scams (most recently concerning Apple IIRC)

    I can see a case for macintoshes as workstations in a animation factory, but
    not as a renderfarm blade

    lily, Aug 4, 2003
  11. Who is this

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Who is this <> wrote:

    > In article <bgk05o$pnmkg$-berlin.de>,
    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    > > lily wrote:
    > >
    > > > Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February
    > > > ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

    > > Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your CEO is
    > > demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both platforms, you
    > > could just add the new machines in to the existing farm. The beauty of
    > > render farms is that the machines are all independent of each other -
    > > unlike some other computation clusters.
    > >
    > > Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual Athlon or
    > > Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a rack of Apple
    > > XServes.

    > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
    > out performed the dual Xenon

    Are you sure that its bang *for* buck? I know the G5 has the bang, but
    at a cool $6800 it doesn't really have much buck in comparison. Don't
    get me wrong, I like my Macs...

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Aug 4, 2003
  12. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <FfmXa.9075$>,
    "lily" <> wrote:

    > > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
    > > out performed the dual Xenon

    > Benchmarketing is always total bollocks, and these tests have been proved to
    > be shallow scams (most recently concerning Apple IIRC)

    Actually the way I read the so called claims, the mods that apple did
    made to xenom run faster. but if you want to go to real world tests then
    mathematica etc were als a damn sight faster.

    > I can see a case for macintoshes as workstations in a animation factory, but
    > not as a renderfarm blade

    yet, one rumour is that Apple is working on a big end server system,
    possibly a blade server.

    Who is this, Aug 4, 2003
  13. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <FfmXa.9075$>,
    > "lily" <> wrote:
    >

    > > > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor

    G5
    > > > out performed the dual Xenon

    > > Benchmarketing is always total bollocks, and these tests have been

    proved to
    > > be shallow scams (most recently concerning Apple IIRC)

    > Actually the way I read the so called claims, the mods that apple did
    > made to xenom run faster. but if you want to go to real world tests then
    > mathematica etc were als a damn sight faster.
    >

    > > I can see a case for macintoshes as workstations in a animation factory,

    but
    > > not as a renderfarm blade

    > yet, one rumour is that Apple is working on a big end server system,
    > possibly a blade server.

    Do they render film frames cheaper ?

    lily, Aug 4, 2003
  14. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > madknoxie <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor

    G5
    > > > out performed the dual Xenon

    > > Are you sure that its bang *for* buck? I know the G5 has the bang, but
    > > at a cool $6800 it doesn't really have much buck in comparison. Don't
    > > get me wrong, I like my Macs...

    > Compared to a similarly kitted out Xenon from Dell IIRC the dual
    > processor G5 was cheaper.

    The renderfarm is 8 of these
    http://www.racksaver.com/products/bladerack.asp
    Its not really Apple's market.

    lily, Aug 5, 2003
  15. Who is this

    lily Guest

    "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <rGBXa.9201$>, "lily" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Who is this" <> wrote in message

    processor
    > > G5

    but

    Don't

    > > > Compared to a similarly kitted out Xenon from Dell IIRC the dual
    > > > processor G5 was cheaper.

    > > The renderfarm is 8 of these
    > > http://www.racksaver.com/products/bladerack.asp
    > > Its not really Apple's market.
    > >

    > Yet ?
    > I do understand that IBM will be making blade servers out of the G5/970
    > chip

    I'm sure they will.
    And they will also make them out of 64 bit AMD and Intel processors
    Any one of which may turn out to be the price/performance or price or
    performance leader at any given time.
    So portability of the operating system is quite important especially to IBM.
    So thats even more competition for Apple from IBM.

    lily, Aug 5, 2003
  16. In <bgk05o$pnmkg$-berlin.de> AD. wrote:
    > lily wrote:
    >
    >> Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in
    >> February ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

    > Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your
    > CEO is demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both
    > platforms, you could just add the new machines in to the existing farm.
    > The beauty of render farms is that the machines are all independent of
    > each other - unlike some other computation clusters.
    >
    > Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual
    > Athlon or Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a
    > rack of Apple XServes.
    >
    > Although I would like to try out an XServe for use in a small LAN.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    News today: the US Navy is to install 260 Xserves in their submarine
    fleet for real-time image processing, all of which will be running
    Yellow Dog Linux.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "..we discovered that, at least as of a few years ago, every tactical
    nuclear weapon in Europe manned by U.S. personnel was targeted by an
    Apple II computer. Now, we didn't sell computers to the military; they
    went out and bought them at a dealer's, I guess. But it didn't make us
    feel good to know that our computers were being used to target nuclear
    weapons in Europe. The only bright side of it was that at least they
    weren't [Radio Shack] TRS-80s! Thank God for that."

    Steve Jobs, Playboy interview, 1985

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 7, 2003