Pix515e with IOS 7.24 and ASDM 5.24

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David Henzler, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. I have a Pix 515e and upgraded the RAM to 96Mb and upgraded
    the IOS to 7.24 and loaded ASDM 5.24.

    It seems to be taking the new program from the Java based
    ASDM console. I can change things, save them to the PIX and
    they work... like IP assignments, and DHCP server settings.

    When I tried to use the Stand Along ASDM Console, it couldn't
    find the Pix configuration file... this bothers me on a very
    basic level. After trying to use this I disconnected the Pix
    from the serial console, and disconnected Ethernet1 cable and
    rebooted. It was all screwed up.

    After doing a reset to factory-configuration 192.168.1.1 it
    was able to be controlled again... but many of my original
    settings remained... I was a bit concerned at this point
    where my settings were actually being saved...

    Anyone out there know anything about this?

    I'm looking for two sticks of 64M ram or more that will work
    in the Pix 515e. I had a bunch of ram, but nothing larger
    than the single sided 64's seemed to work. I don't have but
    the one that small... will trade some 128 or 256 for some
    64's that will work.

    Regards

    David Henzler

    David Henzler, Feb 23, 2009

  2. David Henzler

    Juki Guest

    David Henzler kirjoitti:
    > I have a Pix 515e and upgraded the RAM to 96Mb and upgraded
    > the IOS to 7.24 and loaded ASDM 5.24.
    >
    > It seems to be taking the new program from the Java based
    > ASDM console. I can change things, save them to the PIX and
    > they work... like IP assignments, and DHCP server settings.
    >
    > When I tried to use the Stand Along ASDM Console, it couldn't
    > find the Pix configuration file... this bothers me on a very
    > basic level. After trying to use this I disconnected the Pix
    > from the serial console, and disconnected Ethernet1 cable and
    > rebooted. It was all screwed up.
    >
    > After doing a reset to factory-configuration 192.168.1.1 it
    > was able to be controlled again... but many of my original
    > settings remained... I was a bit concerned at this point
    > where my settings were actually being saved...
    >
    > Anyone out there know anything about this?
    >
    > I'm looking for two sticks of 64M ram or more that will work
    > in the Pix 515e. I had a bunch of ram, but nothing larger
    > than the single sided 64's seemed to work. I don't have but
    > the one that small... will trade some 128 or 256 for some
    > 64's that will work.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > David Henzler

    Just guessing,
    I suppose your device suffers from the lack of memory.
    I have used several 515 devices (without E) with 7.xx software and even
    with 8.xx software for training purposes and _everything_ works.

    I think your device needs minimum 128 Mb of RAM.

    Yours, Juki

    Juki, Feb 28, 2009

  3. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:20:05 +0200, Juki wrote:

    > David Henzler kirjoitti:
    >> I have a Pix 515e and upgraded the RAM to 96Mb and upgraded
    >> the IOS to 7.24 and loaded ASDM 5.24.
    >>
    >> It seems to be taking the new program from the Java based
    >> ASDM console. I can change things, save them to the PIX and
    >> they work... like IP assignments, and DHCP server settings.
    >>
    >> When I tried to use the Stand Along ASDM Console, it couldn't
    >> find the Pix configuration file... this bothers me on a very
    >> basic level. After trying to use this I disconnected the Pix
    >> from the serial console, and disconnected Ethernet1 cable and
    >> rebooted. It was all screwed up.
    >>
    >> After doing a reset to factory-configuration 192.168.1.1 it
    >> was able to be controlled again... but many of my original
    >> settings remained... I was a bit concerned at this point
    >> where my settings were actually being saved...
    >>
    >> Anyone out there know anything about this?
    >>
    >> I'm looking for two sticks of 64M ram or more that will work
    >> in the Pix 515e. I had a bunch of ram, but nothing larger
    >> than the single sided 64's seemed to work. I don't have but
    >> the one that small... will trade some 128 or 256 for some
    >> 64's that will work.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> David Henzler

    > Just guessing,
    > I suppose your device suffers from the lack of memory.
    > I have used several 515 devices (without E) with 7.xx software and even
    > with 8.xx software for training purposes and _everything_ works.
    >
    > I think your device needs minimum 128 Mb of RAM.
    >
    > Yours, Juki

    Say's here in the fine print that if you don't have FO, you only need
    64Mb, and i put in 96Mb. The system shows happiness with that issue.
    Howeer anything is possible.

    I have tried to get the unit to work just two interfaces and it says that
    I have a problem with the permissions. I followed the Getting Started
    boPDF to the letter with the exception of my IP addresses.

    5.2(4) ASDM is just different enough from the Getting Started PDF to make
    it really difficult to say you're fully compliant.

    Oh well there's still some sunlight

    David

    David Henzler, Feb 28, 2009
  4. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:58:25 -0800, David Henzler wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:20:05 +0200, Juki wrote:
    >
    >> David Henzler kirjoitti:
    >>> I have a Pix 515e and upgraded the RAM to 96Mb and upgraded
    >>> the IOS to 7.24 and loaded ASDM 5.24.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to be taking the new program from the Java based
    >>> ASDM console. I can change things, save them to the PIX and
    >>> they work... like IP assignments, and DHCP server settings.
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to use the Stand Along ASDM Console, it couldn't
    >>> find the Pix configuration file... this bothers me on a very
    >>> basic level. After trying to use this I disconnected the Pix
    >>> from the serial console, and disconnected Ethernet1 cable and
    >>> rebooted. It was all screwed up.
    >>>
    >>> After doing a reset to factory-configuration 192.168.1.1 it
    >>> was able to be controlled again... but many of my original
    >>> settings remained... I was a bit concerned at this point
    >>> where my settings were actually being saved...
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there know anything about this?
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for two sticks of 64M ram or more that will work
    >>> in the Pix 515e. I had a bunch of ram, but nothing larger
    >>> than the single sided 64's seemed to work. I don't have but
    >>> the one that small... will trade some 128 or 256 for some
    >>> 64's that will work.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> David Henzler

    >> Just guessing,
    >> I suppose your device suffers from the lack of memory.
    >> I have used several 515 devices (without E) with 7.xx software and even
    >> with 8.xx software for training purposes and _everything_ works.
    >>
    >> I think your device needs minimum 128 Mb of RAM.
    >>
    >> Yours, Juki

    > Say's here in the fine print that if you don't have FO, you only need
    > 64Mb, and i put in 96Mb. The system shows happiness with that issue.
    > Howeer anything is possible.
    >
    > I have tried to get the unit to work just two interfaces and it says that
    > I have a problem with the permissions. I followed the Getting Started
    > boPDF to the letter with the exception of my IP addresses.
    >
    > 5.2(4) ASDM is just different enough from the Getting Started PDF to make
    > it really difficult to say you're fully compliant.
    >
    > Oh well there's still some sunlight
    >
    > David

    Well all...

    Turns out that the configuration was correct, and I have sufficient RAM.
    The problem was that DNS wasn't functioning, and switching from STATIC to
    DHCP on Ethernet0 did the trick.

    The 5.2(4)ASDM software works fine, however the latest book I can find on
    the WEB is not the same GUI, and it's difficult to follow the proceedures
    when they differ. The latest version does things for you that previous
    versions required the user to do for themselves. I'd say the new version
    is just fine. Let's see a booklet from Cisco that covers it.

    Cisco wouldn't talk to me when I called, stating that my product was a
    "Gray Market" and I informed them that since they no longer sold or
    supported it that the fact that I wasn't the original owner shouldn't have
    been such an issue. Cisco repells business relationships with such an
    attitude. Use of older equipment by private individuals for personal use,
    or the startup business as in my case are ways for people to become Cisco
    customers, and learn about the value of having their hardware. Shunning
    us such a market sends us elesewhere.

    David Henzler, Mar 1, 2009