    no hard drive or floppy in these units. The purpose of the ISA Bridge
    isn't obvious either ?
    not tried it. -- Donald Knuth

    Walter Roberson, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Walter Roberson

    SkyFox Guest

    The Flash memory may be an "ATA compliant, aka IDE" storage device.
    It might also be a standard PC motherboard with a PC chipset that cisco
    didn't bother to customize by removing some parts of the southbridge.

    SkyFox, Jan 14, 2004

  3. In article <4005a5d9$0$24046$>,
    SkyFox <> top-posted:
    :"Walter Roberson" <-cnrc.gc.ca> a écrit dans le message de
    :news:bu444j$82e$...
    :> When PIX boot, they show a PCI device table.

    :> 00 07 01 8086 7111 IDE Controller

    :The Flash memory may be an "ATA compliant, aka IDE" storage device.

    Sounds plausible.

    :It might also be a standard PC motherboard with a PC chipset that cisco
    :didn't bother to customize by removing some parts of the southbridge.

    We've heard of FrankenPix, but I wonder if anyone has looked into
    the opposite -- customizing an existing PIX? Adding a hard disk
    for example. I guess drives might be a problem.

    There's a USB port on the 506E, probably intended to be for the
    console, but I wonder if there just happens to be generic USB
    drivers in there ;-)
    --
    Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
    they see in .signatures.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 14, 2004