PIX506E and VLAN support

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Martin Bilgrav, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    The releasenote for 6.3.4 says that 506 can have 2 VLAN.

    I have a PIX506E with this sho ver output:

    Hardware: PIX-506E, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 300 MHz
    Flash E28F640J3 @ 0x300, 8MB
    BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

    0: ethernet0: address is 000d.28c2.0b19, irq 10
    1: ethernet1: address is 000d.28c2.0b1a, irq 11
    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Disabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
    Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
    Maximum Interfaces: 2
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Unlimited
    IKE peers: Unlimited

    Question is: Shouldnt the Max interface count read 4 ??
    The PIX under test, do infact "eat" the VLAN config commands, but I am
    unsure if the VLAN works correctly.
    If its an error, what could be done to correct it ?

    Hope you can help outm fx by verifing other 506E sho ver max interface on
    PIXOS6.3.4

    regards
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Martin Bilgrav

    Wayne Guest

    "Martin Bilgrav" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > The releasenote for 6.3.4 says that 506 can have 2 VLAN.
    >
    > I have a PIX506E with this sho ver output:
    >
    > Hardware: PIX-506E, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 300 MHz
    > Flash E28F640J3 @ 0x300, 8MB
    > BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB
    >
    > 0: ethernet0: address is 000d.28c2.0b19, irq 10
    > 1: ethernet1: address is 000d.28c2.0b1a, irq 11
    > Licensed Features:
    > Failover: Disabled
    > VPN-DES: Enabled
    > VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
    > Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
    > Maximum Interfaces: 2
    > Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    > Guards: Enabled
    > URL-filtering: Enabled
    > Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    > Throughput: Unlimited
    > IKE peers: Unlimited
    >

    > Question is: Shouldnt the Max interface count read 4 ??
    > The PIX under test, do infact "eat" the VLAN config commands, but I am
    > unsure if the VLAN works correctly.
    > If its an error, what could be done to correct it ?
    >
    > Hope you can help outm fx by verifing other 506E sho ver max interface on
    > PIXOS6.3.4
    >
    > regards
    > Martin

    I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
    should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be an
    oversight by Cisco.

    Wayne, Jun 30, 2005

  3. "Wayne" <> wrote in message

    > I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
    > should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be

    an
    > oversight by Cisco.

    Just checked a 515-R, say 3 phy, and 5 max
    This ia a totalt of 8, which is correct. fx you can have 6 VLAN and 2 phy on
    a 515-R
    I think that you have to add the numbers up.

    Martin Bilgrav, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Martin Bilgrav

    Richard Deal Guest

    > "Wayne" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't think you can configure a VLAN on the outside interface, so it
    > > should probably read 3. But it doesn't, and neither does mine. Must be

    > an
    > > oversight by Cisco.

    > Just checked a 515-R, say 3 phy, and 5 max
    > This ia a totalt of 8, which is correct. fx you can have 6 VLAN and 2 phy

    on
    > a 515-R
    > I think that you have to add the numbers up.

    No, it's a TOTAL of 5--physical and logical--with an R license. Therefore,
    with no additional interfaces on your 515-R, you would have 2 physical and a
    possibility of 3 logical.

    Cheers!
    Richard

    Richard Deal, Jul 1, 2005