    recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?
    Thank you for your opinion!

    , Mar 19, 2007

  2. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We will subscribe fiber optics in all our three locations and plan to
    > replace a old layer-2 switch with a layer-3 3650G switch in the
    > headquarter to handle VLAN trunking and inter-vlan routing.
    > The Cisco 3650G has 24 10/100/1000M ports. It will connect to a Cisco
    > PIX 506E which will do Internet routing. The PIX 506E has two 10M
    > ethernet ports only.
    > Based on my network knowledge, we will be limited to the internet by
    > the port speed of the PIX, but the internal traffic should never go
    > through the PIX so we should be able to get line speed internally. If
    > the PIX has 10mbps Ethernet, then we will only get 10m through it.
    >
    > Does this mean 3650G is a big waste for us? Which PIX or ASA do you
    > recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?
    > Thank you for your opinion!

    What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
    without it.

    Brian V, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Guest

    > What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
    > without it.

    Just check out ISP, the bandwidth for Internet is 10M, and the
    internal bandwidth is 1000M.
    Thanks.

    , Mar 19, 2007
  4. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >> What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
    >> without it.

    > Just check out ISP, the bandwidth for Internet is 10M, and the
    > internal bandwidth is 1000M.
    > Thanks.

    If internet is 10M and throughput on a 506E is 20M that isn't a bottleneck
    then. No worries.

    Brian V, Mar 19, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >We will subscribe fiber optics in all our three locations and plan to
    >replace a old layer-2 switch with a layer-3 3650G switch in the
    >headquarter to handle VLAN trunking and inter-vlan routing.
    >The Cisco 3650G has 24 10/100/1000M ports. It will connect to a Cisco
    >PIX 506E which will do Internet routing. The PIX 506E has two 10M
    >ethernet ports only.

    Checking my notes, I see that the PIX 506E supported 100M full
    duplex starting no later than PIX 6.3(1). The device is rated
    for 100 Mbps cleartext, 17 Mbps 3DES, 30 Mbps AES-128, so it
    is designed for more than 10 M.

    >Based on my network knowledge, we will be limited to the internet by
    >the port speed of the PIX, but the internal traffic should never go
    >through the PIX so we should be able to get line speed internally. If
    >the PIX has 10mbps Ethernet, then we will only get 10m through it.

    Upgrade to 6.3(1) or later and the limitation will be the port
    speed of your ISP; according to one of your follow-ups that ISP
    port speed might be 10 Mbps.

    >Does this mean 3650G is a big waste for us? Which PIX or ASA do you
    >recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?

    With 6.3(1) or later, you can keep 10 Mbps full duplex fully occupied
    with a 506E, at least for cleartext. The 30 Mbps AES-128 would
    suggest that you could even stream 10 Mbps full duplex as a VPN
    with the device, but in actuality the throughput you can actually
    get over a VPN is limited by the latency and unless the remote end
    were "close" a VPN you'd have difficulty.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 20, 2007