    Paul
    --
    paul <at> spamcop.net

    Paul Hutchings, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Paul Hutchings

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "Paul Hutchings" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9428BEAF7DB7Apaulhutchingsspamcop@130.133.1.4...
    > We have a PIX 501 on a 512kbps leased line, it has a couple of machines
    > behind it (one being our proxy server) and it lets traffic in to around a
    > dozen websites.
    >
    > The ruleset is tiny (real basic allow http/smtp in/out stuff) and CPU

    usage
    > averages 1 or 2%.
    >
    > We may be moving to a faster line, probably 2mbps, the cisco docs say the
    > 501 supports up to 60mbps clear-text throughput, but I figure this is in
    > "ideal world" conditions.
    >
    > That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
    >
    > regards
    > Paul
    > --
    > paul <at> spamcop.net

    for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

    Hugo Drax, Nov 3, 2003

  3. "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in news:bo6cvp$1897sp$1@ID-
    155262.news.uni-berlin.de:

    >> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Paul
    >> --
    >> paul <at> spamcop.net

    > for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

    that's what i figured, my boss raised it as a "should we budget £x for an
    uprated firewall if we up our bandwidth" question - thought I'd ask the
    real world than solely trust the cisco specs :)

    regards
    Paul
    --
    paul <at> spamcop.net

    Paul Hutchings, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Paul Hutchings

    > 155262.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > >> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
    > >>
    > >> regards
    > >> Paul
    > >> --
    > >> paul <at> spamcop.net

    > > for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

    > that's what i figured, my boss raised it as a "should we budget £x for an
    > uprated firewall if we up our bandwidth" question - thought I'd ask the
    > real world than solely trust the cisco specs :)
    >
    > regards
    > Paul
    > --
    > paul <at> spamcop.net

    yeah I would say you can do about 10 mbit using a realife standard traffic
    mix so you have a pretty large burst capacity. The next level would be a pix
    506e which would do about 60-70 mbit reallife traffic but thats overkill

    Hugo Drax, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Paul Hutchings

    Johnny Bravo Guest

    Paul Hutchings <> wrote in message news:<Xns9428BEAF7DB7Apaulhutchingsspamcop@130.133.1.4>...
    > We have a PIX 501 on a 512kbps leased line, it has a couple of machines
    > behind it (one being our proxy server) and it lets traffic in to around a
    > dozen websites.
    >
    > The ruleset is tiny (real basic allow http/smtp in/out stuff) and CPU usage
    > averages 1 or 2%.
    >
    > We may be moving to a faster line, probably 2mbps, the cisco docs say the
    > 501 supports up to 60mbps clear-text throughput, but I figure this is in
    > "ideal world" conditions.
    >
    > That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
    >
    > regards
    > Paul

    I'll make it easy for you. It will handle your 2Mbps line just fine.
    Also, don't be shy about adding new services to your PIX. You have
    room before you bug it down.

    Johnny

    Johnny Bravo, Nov 3, 2003