PIX standby

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Frank Winkler, Sep 11, 2007.

  1. Hi there !

    A question concerning PIX HA setup - I have two PIX 515E running 7.2.2 with
    the following config:

    int Eth 1
    ip address A1
    int Eth 2
    ip address A21 standby A22

    What I'd like to have is the standby setup for interfaces 2-5 and a local
    address on interfaces 0 and 1 (e.g. to be able to get a specific box on the
    management LAN).
    The above seems to be supported and it kinda works but it has the same
    address on the non-standby interfaces, shut down on the passive side. With
    standby configured, I'd have two addresses but I'd lose the exact knowledge
    of which box has which address.

    The root problem seems to be that in my config, each PIX would have to
    merge a piece of local config with a another piece of global config. Is
    tehre a way to get that? PIX 8?

    TIA

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Sep 11, 2007

  2. * Frank Winkler wrote:
    > The above seems to be supported and it kinda works but it has the same
    > address on the non-standby interfaces, shut down on the passive side. With
    > standby configured, I'd have two addresses but I'd lose the exact knowledge
    > of which box has which address.

    Tow Solutions:
    1) Use IPv6. The interface IPs are different (based on MAC) and will fail
    in failover for a couple of seconds. In 8.0(2) the bug is fixed and IPv6
    has the same behavior like IPv4.
    2) Set up multi context mode requiring a specific failover priority.
    This guarantees, that failover switchs back as soon as possible.

    Lutz Donnerhacke, Sep 11, 2007