    related? Will the 501 allow me to get familar with the CLI?

    thanks,

    Richard Field
    Richard R. Field, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Pix 501, yes Ive got one on my test network and its basically a scalled down
    version of its bigger brothers.

    Someone can correct me, I plan to do my PIX practicals with a 501 for my
    exams.

    Cheers

    AJ

    "Richard R. Field" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to replace my Linksys braodband router at home with a PIX

    model
    > so I can get familiar with the CLI. I have my CCNP but I have very little
    > experience with the PIX (I set up a 506e once using the PDM since I was in

    > time crunch).
    >
    > My question is simply what are the differences between the 506e and the

    501?

    Fatman Superstar, Jun 13, 2004

  3. In article <CrZyc.32268$0y.23508@attbi_s03>,
    Richard R. Field <> wrote:
    :My question is simply what are the differences between the 506e and the 501?
    :I know there are different licensing options but htis is for home so a 10
    :user licesne shouldn't be a problem. Are the differences purely speed
    :related? Will the 501 allow me to get familar with the CLI?

    The differences aren't -only- speed related, but other than the
    licensing and the speed, you have to look very carefully to find
    differences between the 501 and 506e.

    Here's the 501 and 506/506E extract from my model comparision table
    (unfortunately not currently available via www.)

    501:
    - 133 MHz AMD SC520 processor; bus is one 32-bit 33 MHz PCI
    - 16 Mb of SDRAM; 8 Mb of flash
    - initial software: PIX 6.1(1)
    - no Turbo ACL
    - 'configure factory-default' *is* available
    - dhcp pool of 32 addresses for 10 user licenses
    - dhcp pool of 128 addresses for 50 user licenses
    - dhcp pool of 253 addresses for unlimited user licenses
    [according to 'configure factory-default ip-address netmask']
    - dhcp pool of 256 addresses for unlimited user licences
    (requires netmask larger than /24)
    [according to 'dhcpd address']
    - no manual configuration of SAs
    - 'eeprom update' command not runnable
    - failover NOT supported; 'write standby' NOT supported
    - no OSPF support
    - number of 'local hosts' limited by purchased license
    - no 'sysopt ipsec pl-compatible' -- no support for Private Link
    - Easy VPN Remote supported
    - Easy VPN Server supported
    - 'write floppy' NOT supported
    - "early versions" restricted to 256 Kb configuration file
    (not clear whether this is early hardware or early 6.x software)
    [according to 6.3 release notes]
    - 256 Kb configuration file
    [according to 6.3 configuration overview]
    - 1 Mb configuration file
    [according to 6.3 release notes]
    - no support for VAC (VPN Accelerator Card)
    - no support for VAC+ (VPN Accelerator Card+)
    - outside interface 10/100 half or full (6.3(1))
    - inside interface 10/100 half or full (6.3(1))
    - 2 physical interfaces supported in all licenses. NO possibility
    of expansion.
    - inside interface always shows up as 10000 Kbit full duplex in
    'show interface' (< 6.3(1) ?)
    [observed in field]
    - inside interface always shows up as 100000 Kbit full duplex in
    'show interface' (6.3(1))
    [according to PIX Command Reference]
    - inside interface is a 4 port switch, with no way to address or
    configure or show information for the individual switch ports.
    - no support for 802.1Q VLANs (logical interfaces)
    - 60 Mbps cleartext, 7500 concurrent connections, 6 Mbps DES,
    3 MBps 3DES, 4.5 Mbps AES-128
    - 5 VPN peers (up to 6.2(*))
    - 10 VPN peers (6.3(1))

    506/506E:
    - 506 has 200 MHz CPU
    - see beginning for flash sizes
    - 506E has 300 MHz Intel Celeron processor; bus is one 32-bit 33 MHz PCI
    - 506E has 32 Mb of SDRAM; 8 Mb of flash
    - 506 initial software release: 5.1(2)
    - 506E initial software release: 5.2(7)
    - Turbo ACL support
    - 'configure factory-default' *is* available
    - dhcp pool of 32 addresses (up to 6.0(4))
    - dhcp pool of 253 addresses
    [according to 'configure factory-default ip-address netmask']
    - dhcp pool of 256 addresses
    (requires netmask larger than /24)
    [according to 'dhcpd address']
    - manual configuration of SAs allowed
    - 'eeprom update' command not runnable
    - failover NOT supported; 'write standby' NOT supported
    - OSPF support available
    - Private Link supported via 'sysopt ipsec pl-compatible'
    - Easy VPN Remote supported
    - Easy VPN Server supported
    - 'write floppy' NOT supported
    - 1 Mb configuration file
    - no support for VAC (VPN Accelerator Card)
    - no support for VAC+ (VPN Accelerator Card+)
    - outside interface 10/100 half or full (6.3(1))
    - inside interface 10/100 half or full (6.3(1))
    - 2 physical interfaces supported in all licenses. NO possibility of
    expansion.
    - no support for 802.1Q VLANs (logical interfaces)
    - 4 VPN peers (5.3)
    - 25 VPN peers (6.3)
    - no configured VPN peer limit in 6.3(3), but 25 might be the practical limit
    - 506: 20 Mbps cleartext, 20 Mbps DES, 10 Mbps 3DES
    - 506: 10 Mbps maximum VPN throughput
    [according to 506E/515E Q&A; 6.1(2) timeframe, might have improved later]
    - 506E: 100 Mbps cleartext, 25000 concurrent connections, 20 Mbps DES,
    17 Mbps 3DES, 30 Mbps AES-128
    - 506E: 16 Mbps maximum VPN throughput
    [according to 506E/515E Q&A; 6.1(2) timeframe, might have improved later]
    --
    Usenet is one of those "Good News/Bad News" comedy routines.
    Walter Roberson, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Richard R. Field

    J Guest

    501 is enough for learning.
    I find one strange thing. Although it claims OSPF is not supported, it allow
    you configure it and it works (under my small testing environment)

    frog
    http://www.ethernet.hk Product and Feature Update of Networking

    J, Jun 13, 2004