Pix is resetting inbound connections (Reset-I)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Aaargh, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Aaargh

    Aaargh Guest

    I have a webserver behind my Pix 501 that I'm trying to make a
    connection to from the outside. Every time I attempt a connection the
    Pix logs the error 302014 and resets the connection.

    %PIX-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection number for
    interface_name:real_address/real_port to
    interface_name:real_address/real_port
    duration time bytes number [reason] [(user)]

    Reason= Reset-I in my logs

    I cannot get this to work. Below is my pix config. The webserver
    address is 192.168.1.3. The rest you can see in my config.

    PIX Version 6.3(1)
    interface ethernet0 auto
    interface ethernet1 100full
    nameif ethernet0 outside security0
    nameif ethernet1 inside security100
    enable password MYPASSWORD encrypted
    passwd MYPASSWORD encrypted
    hostname MYPIX
    domain-name MYDOMAIN
    fixup protocol ftp 21
    fixup protocol h323 h225 1720
    fixup protocol h323 ras 1718-1719
    fixup protocol http 80
    fixup protocol http 81
    fixup protocol ils 389
    fixup protocol pptp 1723
    fixup protocol rsh 514
    fixup protocol rtsp 554
    fixup protocol sip 5060
    fixup protocol sip udp 5060
    fixup protocol skinny 2000
    fixup protocol smtp 25
    access-list 130 permit tcp any host interface outside eq 81
    access-list 130 deny ip any any log
    pager lines 24
    logging on
    logging trap informational
    logging host inside 192.168.1.5 6/1470
    mtu outside 1500
    mtu inside 1500
    ip address outside dhcp setroute
    ip address inside 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.128
    ip audit info action alarm
    ip audit attack action alarm
    pdm history enable
    arp timeout 14400
    global (outside) 1 interface
    nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface 81 192.168.1.3 81 netmask
    255.255.255.255
    0 0
    access-group 130 in interface outside
    timeout xlate 3:00:00
    timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h225
    1:00:00
    timeout h323 0:05:00 mgcp 0:05:00 sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00
    timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
    aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+
    aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
    aaa-server LOCAL protocol local
    no snmp-server location
    no snmp-server contact
    snmp-server community public
    no snmp-server enable traps
    floodguard enable
    telnet timeout 5
    ssh timeout 5
    console timeout 0
    terminal width 80

    I think I have my static command set up correctly. And my access-list
    should allow the traffic through. My concern is that this config
    cannot be done with my outside interface set to dhcpc.

    Any help would be great because I've been stuck on this for days!
    Aaargh, Aug 19, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Aaargh <> wrote:
    :I have a webserver behind my Pix 501 that I'm trying to make a
    :connection to from the outside. Every time I attempt a connection the
    :pix logs the error 302014 and resets the connection.

    :%PIX-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection number for
    :interface_name:real_address/real_port to
    :interface_name:real_address/real_port
    :duration time bytes number [reason] [(user)]

    :Reason= Reset-I in my logs

    Does the content get delivered? If so then the problem has to do with
    the logging, not with the config. PIX 6.3(3) tends to record Reset-I
    when the inside system sends a reset before the FIN ACK has made its
    way back from the outside. It -should- have a longer timer to clean
    up packets in transit, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.

    It gets disconcerting when one starts seeing denied inbound connections
    sourced from port 80 of a remote machine, when the problem is really
    the logging, that it has just closed down a connection -to- port 80
    of the remote machine and is clearing out its connection tables too soon.
    --
    Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann
    Walter Roberson, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Aaargh

    Aaargh Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<cg3i26$sqb$>...
    > In article <>,
    > Aaargh <> wrote:
    > :I have a webserver behind my Pix 501 that I'm trying to make a
    > :connection to from the outside. Every time I attempt a connection the
    > :pix logs the error 302014 and resets the connection.
    >
    > :%PIX-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection number for
    > :interface_name:real_address/real_port to
    > :interface_name:real_address/real_port
    > :duration time bytes number [reason] [(user)]
    >
    > :Reason= Reset-I in my logs
    >
    > Does the content get delivered? If so then the problem has to do with
    > the logging, not with the config. PIX 6.3(3) tends to record Reset-I
    > when the inside system sends a reset before the FIN ACK has made its
    > way back from the outside. It -should- have a longer timer to clean
    > up packets in transit, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.
    >
    > It gets disconcerting when one starts seeing denied inbound connections
    > sourced from port 80 of a remote machine, when the problem is really
    > the logging, that it has just closed down a connection -to- port 80
    > of the remote machine and is clearing out its connection tables too soon.

    Hey Walter,

    The content does not get delivered. I checked my xlates and there are
    none for the connection and my apache logs don't show any requests. I
    wouldn't be worried about the logging if the connection worked.
    Here's a little more of the puzzle. I ran network monitor on a
    machine attempting to contact the webserver and it recorded:

    Syn packet sent to the outside interface of the pix on port 81 and
    then a rst packet back from the pix to the host attempting the
    connection.

    So it looks like the pix is really just killing the connection for a
    reason I can't figure out. It's not just a log entry. At first I
    thought it might be the IDS, but I don't have it set up to reset
    connections, matter of fact it's not enabled at all.

    Any other ideas? I'm almot out of them!

    Thanks again
    Aaargh, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Aaargh wrote:
    > I have a webserver behind my Pix 501 that I'm trying to make a
    > connection to from the outside. Every time I attempt a connection the
    > Pix logs the error 302014 and resets the connection.
    >
    > %PIX-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection number for
    > interface_name:real_address/real_port to
    > interface_name:real_address/real_port
    > duration time bytes number [reason] [(user)]
    >
    > Reason= Reset-I in my logs

    Am I missing something here or......

    The PIX logged a Teardown, so it must have let the packet through. If it
    was blcoking it, you would have a 'deny' in the log.

    The PIX tore the connection down because the inside (your web server)
    sent back a RST packet.

    Does you web server work? Telnet to localhost on port 81 from the
    console of your web server. Maybe it isn't running?

    Just a guess.
    Michael Janke, Aug 21, 2004
  5. In article <cg3i26$sqb$>,
    Walter Roberson <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    > :Reason= Reset-I in my logs
    >
    > Does the content get delivered? If so then the problem has to do with
    > the logging, not with the config. PIX 6.3(3) tends to record Reset-I
    > when the inside system sends a reset before the FIN ACK has made its
    > way back from the outside. It -should- have a longer timer to clean
    > up packets in transit, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.

    Do you reckon this has been fixed in 6.3(4) as I'm not seeing any of the
    ACL denies I used to on my home PIX 501?

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne