PIX Hardware problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there

    Hopefully someone can help here.

    We just bought a PIX 506 from ebay for practice.

    When we first switched it on, we could hear the fan powering up and
    running but the Power LED was not lit. Although the Network LED would
    flash time to time.

    After rebooting a couple of times, it switched on fine and we were able
    to console into it.

    We then took it out of service for about 2 hours and powered it down.
    Again, when powering up we had the same problem.

    It has been running fine now for about 4 hours, we have rebooted it and
    it has come straight back up again.

    Is it not unusual for older PIX'es to have this issue when being
    powered up after hours of non-use. Before we purchased it, it would
    have been dead for a couple of weeks.

    Alternatively, has anyone experienced this problem before?

    Whilst I am here, we need to upgrade the IOS to a newer version - it's
    running 6.1(1). Whilst I am waiting for Cisco to come back to me, does
    anyone know if upgrades to PIX IOS's are free (say, so long as is it is
    not the latest version) or do we have to pay?

    Many thanks in advance.
    , Aug 23, 2006

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Aug 23, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We just bought a PIX 506 from ebay for practice.

    >Whilst I am here, we need to upgrade the IOS to a newer version - it's
    >running 6.1(1). Whilst I am waiting for Cisco to come back to me, does
    >anyone know if upgrades to PIX IOS's are free (say, so long as is it is
    >not the latest version) or do we have to pay?

    Saving myself some typing here:

    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/1a8c8cf2d5b63d86

    In your case, I think the part number is LL-PIX-506-3DES but I'm
    not certain on that -- the "natural" part number would be
    LL-PIX-506-SW but that is not in Cisco's tables. Unfortunately
    I don't find anyone selling the part so I can't estimate the cost.
    Walter Roberson, Aug 23, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    www.BradReese.Com <> wrote:
    >You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

    >As well as Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

    >http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embedded-software-licenses.htm

    Brad, is LL-PIX-506-3DES just the 3DES relicense (remember, that used
    to cost itself), or is it the generalized relicense, which
    uses the pattern LL-PIX-*-SW* for every other model?

    Note that the LL-PIX-501-3DES is not the generalized relicense for
    the 501: there are LL-PIX-501-SW-* for each of the user limits.
    This suggests that LL-PIX-506-3DES is literally just 3DES.
    There is no LL-PIX-506-SW part to be found in any table I can see.

    Unfortuntely Cisco's site is quite bad for finding information
    about relicensing, even when you know that that's the term that
    Cisco uses!
    Walter Roberson, Aug 23, 2006
  5. PIX-SW-UPGRADE=
    PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers.

    List Price: $1,000

    LL-PIX-501-3DES PIX 501 168-bit 3DES IPSec Software License
    LL-PIX-501-SW-10 PIX 501 10 User Software License
    LL-PIX-501-SW-50 PIX 501 50 User Software License
    LL-PIX-506-3DES PIX 506 3DES Software License
    LL-PIX-515-SW-FO PIX 515 Failover Software License
    LL-PIX-515-SW-R PIX 515 Restricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-515-SW-UR PIX 515 Unrestricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-520-FO PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Failover License
    LL-PIX-520-SW-128 PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Entry Level License
    LL-PIX-520-SW-1K PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Midrange License
    LL-PIX-520-SW-UR PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Unrestricted License
    LL-PIX-525-SW-FO PIX 525 Failover Software License
    LL-PIX-525-SW-R PIX 525 Restricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-525-SW-UR PIX 525 Unrestricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-535-SW-FO PIX 535 Failover Software License
    LL-PIX-535-SW-R PIX 535 Restricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-535-SW-UR PIX 535 Unrestricted Function Software License
    LL-PIX-VPN-DES PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embedded-software-licenses.htm

    PIX 501 10 User Platform License LL-PIX-501-SW-10
    List Price: $195

    PIX 515/515E Failover Platform License LL-PIX-515-SW-FO
    List Price: $495

    PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Failover License LL-PIX-520-FO
    List Price: $795

    PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Entry Level License LL-PIX-520-SW-128
    List Price: $1,995

    PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Midrange License LL-PIX-520-SW-1K
    List Price: $3,295

    PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Unrestricted License LL-PIX-520-SW-UR
    List Price: $7,395

    PIX 525 Failover Platform License LL-PIX-525-SW-FO
    List Price: $995

    PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License LL-PIX-VPN-DES
    List Price: $1

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco eBay Repair Service
    http://www.bradreese.com/ebay-cisco-repair.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 23, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    www.BradReese.Com <> wrote:

    >PIX-SW-UPGRADE=
    >PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers.

    >List Price: $1,000

    >LL-PIX-501-SW-50 PIX 501 50 User Software License
    >LL-PIX-506-3DES PIX 506 3DES Software License
    >LL-PIX-515-SW-FO PIX 515 Failover Software License

    Hmmm, the LL-PIX-506-SW relicense option still seems to be
    missing in action.

    Old discussions of relicensing indicated that all it got you was
    the right to use the software, and that it was a prerequisite to
    getting support or upgrades [if, that is, you are starting with
    equipment for which the license has not been transfered under
    one of Cisco's bought-the-company exemptions].

    I had a brief look at the description of the relicensing program
    a few minutes ago and it indicated that the price would generally
    be set at the price of a new license... but it didn't say anything
    about it entitling you to an up-to-date version of the software.

    Do you have information about that part, Brad? Would paying the
    relicense alone get the OP from 6.1 to 6.5 [the latest supported on the
    506] ? Or would the OP have to pay the relicense and then pay the
    PIX-SW-UPGRADE to get something newer than the version they would then
    be entitled to upgrade to by using the free upgrades offered by the PIX
    Security Advisories ?
    Walter Roberson, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Hi Walter,

    Rather than purchase Cisco Part Number:

    PIX-SW-UPGRADE=

    PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers

    List Price: $1,000

    It appears the more economical way of getting an upgrade to a newer
    version of software is by going under a Cisco SMARTnet 8x5 Nextday
    contract:

    CON-SNT-PIX506BN

    List Price: $112

    However, it may require getting Cisco to "inspect" the PIX unit.

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco Power Supply Headquarters