PIX and VLANs continued

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ST MS, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. ST MS

    ST MS Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >> How do you tell
    >> the DHCP server to hand out an IP address from pool X, Y or Z based
    >> on the VLAN number where the DHCP request originated from?

    > You would configure a different pool for each logical interface --
    > i.e., a different pool for each VLAN. Your hosts are going to send out
    > broadcasts to IP address 255.255.255.255, MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    > which thus will reach any DHCP server in their subnet -- but because
    > you are using port-based VLANs, the subnet includes only a few hosts
    > and the PIX logical interface for that VLAN.
    >
    >> If we want DHCP to give addresses from the first pool to the hosts
    >> in VLAN1, from the second pool to the hosts in VLAN2, and from the
    >> third pool to the hosts in VLAN3, etc., how do we accomplish that?

    > dhcpd address ipA1-ipA2 vlan1
    > dhcpd address ipB1-ipB2 vlan2
    > etc.

    That's how it can be done with PIX as the DHCP server. But only when
    you have just a few different logical interfaces/VLANs, right? Since
    our scenario requires far more VLANs than PIX supports, we have to do
    the DHCP service with something else.

    We'd rather get a routing switch than a router, since we need more
    switches anyway. The 3550 has a DHCP server feature, but there's very
    little information of it on the 3550 Software Configuration Guide.

    We could also consider something like the 2611XM router. If I'm
    correct, it provides the same IOS standard DHCP server that the 3550
    does, which is different from what PIX offers.

    Here's the config guide for the IOS 12.2 DHCP server but again we
    can't see from the guide how to bind certain pools to certain VLANs.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca75c.html

    Any help with this?

    - ST MS

    ST MS, Jan 15, 2004