PIX 535 No bootable image in flash

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dmitriy_K, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. Dmitriy_K

    Dmitriy_K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Hi All!
    We have Cisco PIX 535.
    We upgrade soft from 6.3.3 to 7.0.4 but PIX allways rebooting. PIX boot only in monitor mode.
    Please help

    Sorry, my english is not enough.

    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Embedded BIOS Version 4.3
    Cisco PIX-535
    | System BIOS Configuration, (C) 2000 General Software, Inc. |
    +---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
    | System CPU : Pentium III | Low Memory : 637KB |
    | Coprocessor : Enabled | Extended Memory : 1023MB |
    | Embedded BIOS Date : 11/28/00 | Serial Ports 1-2 : 03F8 02F8 |
    +---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.2) #0: Mon Dec 31 08:34:34 PST 2001
    Platform PIX-535
    Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300

    Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot.
    Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.
    Reading 123392 bytes of image from flash.

    PIX Flash Load Helper

    Initializing flashfs...
    flashfs[0]: 5 files, 2 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 16128000
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1951232
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 14176768
    flashfs[0]: Initialization complete.

    Unable to locate boot image configuration

    Booting first image in flash

    No bootable image in flash. Please download an image from a network server
    in the monitor mode

    Failed to find an image to boot

    Rebooting....
    Dmitriy_K, Oct 3, 2006

  2. Dmitriy_K

    swapnendu

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    57
    u must have upgraded PIX from ROMMON. in case of this upgrade, the image is acutally not copied onto flash...follow the below given steps...

    1. connect a computer tht servers as the TFTP server to the PIX using a crsoss-cable...

    2. reload pix; press Esc key to go into ROMMON
    3. int 1 // initialize inside interface
    addr 172.16.4.99 //PIX IP address
    server 172.16.4.212 // TFTP server address
    file pix721.bin
    tftp

    4. Installation begins; Will auto reload when thru. (Actual image is not yet copied onto PIX, just image is loaded and configured)
    Back to # prompt
    conf t
    copy tftp flash
    provide the details to copy the PIX image onto flash
    boot system flash:/pix721.bin

    5.now copy ASDM image onto PIX if u want to upgrade ASDM as well. copy tftp flash // asdm521.bin

    Ready Steady Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    swapnendu, Oct 3, 2006

  3. Dmitriy_K

    Dmitriy_K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Thank you for answer.
    I do first 3 step. I can't back to # prompt because PIX always rebooting.
    Dmitriy_K, Oct 3, 2006
  4. Dmitriy_K

    swapnendu

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    57
    the first time u perform step 3 :

    int 1 // initialize inside interface
    addr 172.16.4.99 //PIX IP address
    server 172.16.4.212 // TFTP server address
    file pix721.bin
    tftp

    PIX will auto-reload and you will get the # prompt. This happens only for the first auto-reboot. If you reboot the PIX after tht, you'll get the error

    "No bootable image in flash. Please download an image from a network server
    in the monitor mode

    Failed to find an image to boot"

    So perform steps 1-5 again and this should help u out !!...and le me know if it works ..i had the same problem a month back whn i upgraded...
    swapnendu, Oct 3, 2006
  5. Dmitriy_K

    Dmitriy_K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    5

    I do all this steps many times. But PIX always reboting and i have access to monitor mode.
    Any ideas :)
    Dmitriy_K, Oct 3, 2006
  6. Dmitriy_K

    swapnendu

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Messages:
    57
    u doing something wrong while performing the steps....i have done this multiple times and i know it works the way i have mentioned.....

    press the ESC key to move into ROMMON before it auto reboots ....

    can u post here the capture of hyperterminal, starting frm moving into ROMMON , then performing all the 5 steps (or probably 1-4 steps)..also do a ping on your TFTP server from the PIX to determine proper connectivity..u can add one more command "gateway 172.16.4.212" in step 3 if u r unable to ping the TFTP server
    hope u know how to do a capture frm hyperterminal...le me knw if any further help is required...
    swapnendu, Oct 3, 2006
  7. Dmitriy_K

    Dmitriy_K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Yes!!!:) it work. I erase (erasedisk611.bin) flash and then load image 6.3.3.

    2 swapnendu Hope you know how to do erase flash!!!
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
    Dmitriy_K, Oct 4, 2006