    my company has a 515E PIX but need Gigabit speed, can it be upgraded wth gig
    module cards or do I need to purchase the 525?

    Thanks!

    Brian Thomas, May 10, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Brian Thomas <> wrote:
    :my company has a 515E PIX but need Gigabit speed, can it be upgraded wth gig
    :module cards or do I need to purchase the 525?

    That isn't clearly documented one way or the other. The hardware
    install guides do not mention the gigabit card for the 515/515E, but
    do mention it for the (older) PIX 520. The release notes say,

    For a PIX Firewall with only a 32-bit/33 MHz bus, such as the PIX
    520 and PIX 525, use the PIX-1GE card.

    and it so happens the 515/515E have a 32-bit 33 MHz bus. None of
    the product literature for the 515E mentions gigabit as a possibility.

    The 515E is faster than the 520 that -is- indicated as supporting
    gigabit.

    So... not clear. It could be one of those marketting issues, where
    it might perhaps work but not be marketted as working for fear of
    cutting into 525 sales. Or it might not be supported for some obscure
    reason. We can't tell from the documentation.
    --
    Look out, there are llamas!

    Walter Roberson, May 10, 2004