    Would the 515E still function properly if we pass to 400 users or
    should we upgrade to the 515UR or 525 ?

    Thank you,

    Rachid Berrada, Dec 11, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Rachid Berrada <> wrote:
    : Quick question regarding the pix 515E and the amount of users
    :supported. We have a LAN with 100 users who use the internet
    :sparingly.
    :Would the 515E still function properly if we pass to 400 users or
    :should we upgrade to the 515UR or 525 ?

    UR is just Unrestricted license, and runs no faster and does
    not support more users (not for PIX 6 anyhow!). Unrestricted
    enables more interfaces and enables failover, both of which
    require more memory be allocated, so Unrestricted can support
    slightly -fewer- connections.

    The 515UR is slower than the 515E. 515UR is the Unrestricted license
    on the 515 unit, which is only 200 MHz compared to the 515E's 433.
    Also, the 515E can have more memory than the 515.

    The 525 -is- faster than the 515E (600 MHz) and supports more
    memory, so the 525 can handle more than the 515E can.

    None of the 515, 515E, or 525 are rated by the number of users.
    They are rated by the approximate number of concurrent connections
    with the 515 supporting about 68000, the 515E supporting about 130000,
    and the 525 supporting about 280000. The number of "users" that can
    be supported thus depends on how active the users are, and on how
    long your timeouts are set for.

    As a point of comparison: my 525 is currently showing a maximum of
    276 internal hosts, and 7132 connections. Over time, our active
    internal host count tends to hover around 225, but our maximum
    connections tend to climb up to about 13000 [we have some
    silly long udp timeouts to try to accomedate some MS Exchange
    bad behaviour.] Our typical users are using from 3 to 8 connections;
    our Exchange server is using 1216 of the 4000 active connections.
    Our typical CPU load is 1-2%, and I've never seen our CPU load go
    above 5%, including during the peak of Natchi.

    So, we have about 3 times the number of users you have at
    present, and we could probably get away with even just a PIX 506E
    in terms of load [NB: we aren't an ISP!!]; we went with the 525
    because the 525 was the smallest unit that supported the gigabit
    interfaces we needed.
    --
    I predict that you will not trust this prediction.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 11, 2003