    Thanks,

    Pedro

    , Feb 21, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We try to price a PIX 515 R DMZ model today with our local provider
    >in Madrid. They said they still could get the 515 but would rather
    >sell us the ASA 5510 because according to them Cisco is fazing out the
    >PIX line.

    >Questions.
    >1. Is this true?

    It would not be unexpected.

    >2. If I can configure the 515 without too many problems how easy/hard
    >will the ASA 5510 be.

    Except for a few items not implemented on the ASA yet, the ASA uses
    the same command language as PIX 7.x.

    >3. Are there real advantages to going with the ASA?

    Newer, faster, support for additional features, more likely to live on.

    >4. Would I be dumb to sick with the PIX?

    >Like I said we have certain experience with the PIX line and it has
    >been our company standard. We don't have too much time to get trained
    >on new equipment so we dont know who to believe.

    If you are starting from PIX 6, then ASA is noticably different --
    but then so would be the PIX 7 that would arrive on the PIX 515E.

    My understanding is that there are a couple of PIX 6 features that
    haven't -yet- made it into PIX 7 / ASA 7, mostly having to do with
    PPTP and L2TP.

    But what you should watch out for is the pricing / licensing model.
    The ASA line has features that have to be licensed seperately,
    and optional modules. The brochures about what all is available on
    the ASA line are sales brochures, a bit blurry as to what is
    included in the base device and what you have to pay extra for.

    Also, the top end ASA at the moment is (last time I checked) about
    twice as fast as a PIX 525, but substantially slower than a PIX 535.
    Check the performance ratings --- and check again if you intend to
    use any of the differentiating features such as the anti-X features,
    as those cannot keep up with the base firewall / VPN configurations.

    I haven't checked the performance figures for a couple of months;
    my recollection is that the device corresponding in performance
    to the 515E is the model -after- the 5510.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 21, 2007

  3. www.BradReese.Com, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Guest

    Gentlemen,

    Thanks so much for the information. I will take into consideration
    what you have said.

    Regards,

    Pete

    , Feb 22, 2007