Pix 515 does not recover from, Power Failure

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
    does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
    light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
    seems to make it recover. The unit had been running since June 21st and
    Sunday the power went out.

    I cannot connect to the Console either, It appears to be non-responsive too.

    Where do I go from here?

    Thanks!

    ----------------------------------

    PhoenixPICOBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    Copyright 1985-1998 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    All Rights Reserved

    Build Time: 04/27/99 17:08:34
    Polaris BIOS Version 0.09
    CPU = Pentium with MMX 200 MHz
    640K System RAM Passed
    63M Extended RAM Passed
    0512K Cache SRAM Passed
    System BIOS shadowed
    per limit segment address: EFE5
    PIX BIOS (4.0) #0: Tue May 18 16:29:54 PDT 1999
    Platform PIX-515
    Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300

    Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot.
    Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.
    Reading 123392 bytes of image from flash.

    PIX Flash Load Helper

    Initializing flashfs...
    flashfs[0]: 9 files, 3 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 11330560
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 4668416
    flashfs[0]: Initialization complete.

    Reading image flash:/pix705.bin
    Launching image flash:/pix705.bin
    ####################################################################################################################################
    64MB RAM

    Total NICs found: 3
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 10 MAC: 0050.54fe.ef68
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 7 MAC: 0050.54fe.ef69
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 9 MAC: 0002.b3ad.7fda
    BIOS Flash=AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000

    Initializing flashfs...

    Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.0(5)
    Device Manager Version 5.0(5)

    Compiled on Mon 10-Apr-06 14:40 by builders
    System image file is "flash:/pix705.bin"
    Config file at boot was "startup-config"

    moonrazor up 3 mins 36 secs

    Hardware: PIX-515, 64 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz
    Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 16MB
    BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

    0: Ext: Ethernet0 : address is 0050.54fe.ef68, irq 10
    1: Ext: Ethernet1 : address is 0050.54fe.ef69, irq 7
    2: Ext: Ethernet2 : address is 0002.b3ad.7fda, irq 9

    Licensed features for this platform:
    Maximum Physical Interfaces : 3
    Maximum VLANs : 10
    Inside Hosts : Unlimited
    Failover : Disabled
    VPN-DES : Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled
    Cut-through Proxy : Enabled
    Guards : Enabled
    URL Filtering : Enabled
    Security Contexts : 0
    GTP/GPRS : Disabled
    VPN Peers : Unlimited

    This platform has a Restricted (R) license.

    Serial Number: 403480639
    Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006

  2. In article <Ry6xg.55536$>,
    Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
    >When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
    >does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
    >light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
    >seems to make it recover.

    >I cannot connect to the Console either, It appears to be non-responsive too.

    To clarify: when you say that you cannot connect to the console,
    is that problem also fixed by power cycling via the on/off switch ?
    Walter Roberson, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
    pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

    Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
    Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

    Thanks,
    Scott<-

    Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Hi Scott,

    You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094fd9.shtml

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Jul 24, 2006
  5. In article <di7xg.72419$>,
    Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
    >Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
    >pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

    >Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
    >Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

    Hmmmm... the only thing that comes to mind right at the moment is
    that if you had a loose power cord connector, then the physical push on
    the on/off switch just might jiggle the connector into a better place.
    That's long odds, though, and that sort of daft problem is much more likely
    for a PIX 501.

    The only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is that when you
    powerfail, the power might come up very "dirty". Is the PIX 515 connected
    to any kind of power cleaner (e.g., power conditioner or UPS that is
    at least "single inversion"? (not cheapo UPS's -- those things put line
    power through untouched unless power is lost.)
    Walter Roberson, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Thanks for the Link. Looks like from the 3 options, I'm experiencing a "PIX
    Hang"

    "If you suspect a PIX hang, check to see if any specific event, such as a
    high load, may have caused the hang. In such a case, a reload normally
    clears the problem. "

    How do I check for the Events?

    Thanks,
    Scott<-

    Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006
  7. This has happened at its Prior Location and now its new home. Both on APC
    SmartUPS backups. So I dont think it would be the Power Cord or the UPS.

    It does have power, well unless the Network light is like some of the other
    NIC lights that will be on even if the unit is off.

    Since I cant get the Connection working (Cant reach the Internet, but can
    reach the Remote side VPN) I'll pull the plug and see what happens.

    Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006
  8. A few Pulls of the Plug could not simulate the failure.

    I think in All cases, the UPS had lost power, then its batteries were
    drained. Could the UPS have sent it something dirty when the batteries
    Died?

    The Power Light is OFF when this 'Hang' happens. A Flip of the power switch
    is all that it takes to restore it back to normal.

    Scott Townsend, Jul 24, 2006
  9. In article <Ah8xg.11662$>,
    Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
    >A few Pulls of the Plug could not simulate the failure.

    >I think in All cases, the UPS had lost power, then its batteries were
    >drained. Could the UPS have sent it something dirty when the batteries
    >Died?

    Possibly, though I would have expected the brands you mentioned to
    be better built than to have such an obvious problem.

    When a UPS is coming back up from dead battery, it just might
    deliver undervoltage for a period, especially a single-inversion
    UPS (as those effectively use the line to power the battery and
    power the outputs from the battery.)
    Walter Roberson, Jul 25, 2006
  10. * Scott Townsend wrote:
    > When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
    > does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
    > light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
    > seems to make it recover. The unit had been running since June 21st and
    > Sunday the power went out.

    I had an old PIX motherboard with a similar "feature". I suspect a broken
    condensator on the board.
    Lutz Donnerhacke, Jul 25, 2006