PIX 515-6.3.3 high mem usage

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ward, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Ward

    Ward Guest

    Hi,

    Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
    Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the mem
    usage doesn't drop.

    thx

    Ward

    axxxxx# show mem detail
    Free memory: 1072352 bytes
    Used memory:
    Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
    Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
    ----------------------------- ----------------
    Total memory: 33554432 bytes

    ----- fragmented memory statistics -----

    fragment size count total
    (bytes) (bytes)
    ---------------- ---------- --------------
    16 6 96
    24 4 96
    32 3 96
    104 5 520
    112 2 224
    120 6 720
    128 5 640
    136 5 680
    144 5 720
    152 1 152
    160 3 480
    168 6 1008
    176 4 704
    184 1 184
    192 1 192
    200 1 200
    208 2 416
    216 1 216
    224 1 224
    240 3 720
    248 1 248
    256 2 512
    272 2 544
    280 1 280
    288 11 3168
    304 1 304
    328 2 656
    344 1 344
    368 1 368
    416 1 416
    432 1 432
    1912 1 1912*
    14856 1 14856
    16656 2 35120
    22664 1 22664
    39152 2 78320
    61440 1 61440
    839680 1 839680**

    * - top most releasable chunk.
    ** - contiguous memory on top of heap.

    ----- allocated memory statistics -----

    fragment size count total
    (bytes) (bytes)
    ---------------- ---------- --------------
    96 1 96
    104 8 832
    112 18 2016
    120 16 1920
    128 9 1152
    136 37 5032
    144 5 720
    152 48 7296
    184 2 368
    200 4 800
    216 1 216
    224 5 1120
    232 1 232
    256 1 256
    264 596 157344
    272 1 272
    280 2 560
    304 1 304
    344 1 344
    352 147 51744
    360 3 1080
    408 2 816
    416 1 416
    424 2 848
    496 2 992
    512 47 24064
    576 2 1152
    768 1 768
    1408 295 415360
    1600 4 6400
    1984 1 1984
    3072 7 21504
    4096 36 147456
    5120 2 10240
    7168 1 7168
    8192 18 147456
    10240 1 10240
    18944 24 454656
    27136 2 54272
    31232 4 124928
    39424 4 157696
    43520 1 43520
    76288 15 1144320
    141824 7 992768
    174592 3 523776
    436736 9 3930624
    698880 15 10483200
    Ward, Jan 30, 2004

  2. In article <Xns9480AC633653Awardgermonpreverhels@195.130.132.70>,
    Ward <> wrote:
    :Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
    :Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the mem
    :usage doesn't drop.

    :axxxxx# show mem detail
    :Free memory: 1072352 bytes
    :Used memory:
    : Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
    : Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
    :----------------------------- ----------------
    :Total memory: 33554432 bytes

    I checked our PIXes, and they all have more free memory than
    that. Even the 501 has twice that much memory free even though it
    has only half the RAM of your 515. Our 525 has about ten times
    as much free memory as you have.

    Question: are you using compiled ACLs? If so, then as an
    experiment you might want to turn off compilation and see
    how that affects your memory over time.
    --
    The Knights Of The Lambda Calculus aren't dead --this is their normal form!
    Walter Roberson, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Ward

    Ward Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in

    > In article <Xns9480AC633653Awardgermonpreverhels@195.130.132.70>,
    > Ward <> wrote:
    >:Our PIX (r) continuously uses 31mb of its 32mb ram.
    >:Shouldn't this fluctuate with traffic ? Even when traffic is low, the
    >:mem usage doesn't drop.
    >
    >:axxxxx# show mem detail
    >:Free memory: 1072352 bytes
    >:Used memory:
    >: Allocated memory in use: 26315476 bytes
    >: Reserved memory: 6166604 bytes
    >:----------------------------- ----------------
    >:Total memory: 33554432 bytes
    >
    > I checked our PIXes, and they all have more free memory than
    > that. Even the 501 has twice that much memory free even though it
    > has only half the RAM of your 515. Our 525 has about ten times
    > as much free memory as you have.
    >
    > Question: are you using compiled ACLs? If so, then as an
    > experiment you might want to turn off compilation and see
    > how that affects your memory over time.

    No we don't use compiled acl's, but we do use pdm's monitoring
    facilities. After reboot the mem footprint is about 16mb. Once it hits
    +/-31 mb, everything slows to a crawl. Only rebooting helps. I turned off
    logging now.

    thx for your reply

    Ward
    Ward, Feb 3, 2004