    advantage to add more RAM to the 506E...?

    Thanks,
    Michiel
    Michiel, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Michiel

    NETADMIN Guest

    You can check it by

    Sh memory cmmand

    sh memory

    NETADMIN, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Michiel

    Michiel Guest

    Hello,

    In PDM i can also see the status online... i see that when i have the 32MB
    module in it the free memory is 16MB... And when i add the 64MB module then
    probably more memory would be free... ;)...

    But i am just wondering...

    Like Windows XP when you insert an additional 256MB on the installed 256MB
    the system is running smoother... is that also what will happen with the
    PIX...? ;) hehe... Or is it purely depending on the amount of memory free...
    for example if the memory reaches below 1MB the system is slowing down...?

    Thanks,
    Michiel

    Michiel, Aug 23, 2006
  4. In article <44ec609a$0$16660$4all.nl>,
    Michiel <> wrote:
    >But i am just wondering...

    >Like Windows XP when you insert an additional 256MB on the installed 256MB
    >the system is running smoother... is that also what will happen with the
    >PIX...? ;) hehe... Or is it purely depending on the amount of memory free...
    >for example if the memory reaches below 1MB the system is slowing down...?

    On the PIX, if you have enough memory for everything that is
    currently active, then more memory does not speed things up.

    On many operating systems (not PIX, but I don't know about XP), once
    you have enough memory to handle everything this is running simultaneously,
    adding more memory just changes the point at which you could run
    even -more- simultaneously. I say "not PIX" because PIX allocates
    all the memory it needs for the OS at the same time, and then more
    memory mostly just controls the number of connections (and translations)
    you can have simultaneously.

    It is true that if you are -very- short on memory then with most OS's
    (including PIX), operations slow down as the OS has to look harder to
    find free memory for whatever it wants to do. Usually, though, a few
    hundred Kb is more than enough.

    There is a way that XP could potentially run more smoothly with
    extra memory. I don't know if XP does this, but I know SGI's IRIX
    operating system does. If you have extra memory hanging around, then
    the operating system can take it and use it as a disk cache, storing
    the most-used files completely in memory, so that the next time they
    are requested they do not have to be fetched from disk. I have not
    seen any evidence that XP does this, but I am not an XP expert by
    any means, so I might have been looking in completely the wrong place.

    On the PIX 506E, there is something that extra memory can help with.
    If you have the memory, then you can use "turbo ACLs" (compiled ACLs).
    That is a mechanism that the PIX can use to figure out in a short
    sequence whether or not any particular packet matches an access
    control list. When compiled ACLs are not used, the PIX must start
    at the beginning of the list and go through each step in sequence
    until it finds the step that matches (or gets to the end);
    with compiled ACLs, it can do it without having to search the list.
    The PIX 506E allows ACLs to be compiled if the ACL contains at least
    19 lines (below that it is faster to search the list sequentially.)
    Walter Roberson, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Michiel

    Michiel Guest

    Ahh... ok thanks i understand...

    I found out that with the 32MB memory the system is running and having total
    15MB free of memory, but when i add the additional 64MB then i have 52MB
    free memory... so the system probably is using it... speeding...? not
    sure... i must say the connections are very fast... though i will try to
    find out the upcomming days and also by adding even more memory, to see what
    the system does...

    About the TurboACLs... how do i do that...? It sounds good... because i have
    many rules in the PIX... more than 19... ;) hehe...

    Sincerely,
    Michiel

    Michiel, Aug 25, 2006
  6. In article <44ee3ed7$0$18162$4all.nl>,
    Michiel <> wrote:

    >About the TurboACLs... how do i do that...?

    access-list ACLNAME compiled
    Walter Roberson, Aug 25, 2006