PIX 506 support for VLAN's

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    We are running a PIX 506, 6.3(1) IOS.

    According to Cisco, this IOS should support the use of logical
    interfaces.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a0080172786.html#wp1113411

    "With Version 6.3, you can assign VLANs to physical interfaces on the
    PIX Firewall, or you can configure multiple logical interfaces on a
    single physical interface and assign each logical interface to a
    specific VLAN. "

    It then lists various PIX Firewalls, and states that the 506/506E
    should be able to support a max of 4 interfaces; 2 logical and 2
    physical.

    However, on my sh ver it states

    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Disabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES: Disabled
    Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
    Maximum Interfaces: 2
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Limited
    IKE peers: Unlimited

    This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.

    Do I need to upgrade the license?

    I have tried to enter commands to add a logical interface, but the PIX
    comes back with

    "VLAN's are not supported on this platform"

    Many tia.
    , Aug 26, 2006

  2. chris Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > We are running a PIX 506, 6.3(1) IOS.

    There is no such thing! The Pix doesn't run IOS.

    > This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.

    > Do I need to upgrade the license?

    I'd say so.
    chris, Aug 26, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We are running a PIX 506, 6.3(1) IOS.

    >According to Cisco, this IOS should support the use of logical
    >interfaces.

    No, you have to look closer at the list of supported models
    in the 6.3(1) release notes.
    6.3(1) did not support VLANs on the 506/506E. It was either
    6.3(2) or 6.3(3) that added VLAN support on the 506/506E.
    The summary you are looking at is talking about the newest 6.3.

    If you have 6.3(1) then there are at least 3 Security Advisories
    against that version. You are entitled to a free upgrade to
    6.3(5)rebuild .
    Walter Roberson, Aug 26, 2006