Pix 501 Versus ASA 5505

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Buck Rogers, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    Hello,

    I presently have two clients using the pix 501. We are happy with the
    units and they've been in use for over two years. All are using the
    most current software available.

    I have another client that wants to go with a Cisco security appliance
    and after doing some investigating, web searching, and reading, I
    admit I'm confused over what unit I should have the client use....Pix
    501 or the ASA 5505.

    The ASA has more ram and is able to use version 7.3 of the OS. It
    also has more ports (8 versus 4). From my investigation, each will
    perform basically all my client needs.......a secure firewall and the
    ability to have 7 employees VPN to retrieve data from their file
    server.

    The ASA is priced at about $409 while the Pix is priced at about $420.
    I'm okay with the pricing but I'm confused as to why the Pix would be
    priced higher with less ram and (I presume) less features. I've heard
    the Pix would ultimately be replace by the ASA units

    Would someone please enlighten me and give input to help me make the
    proper decision for my client. I'll provide any other information you
    might need to help with your input.

    Regards and Happy Holidays,

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Dec 22, 2007

  2. On Dec 22, 8:48 pm, Buck Rogers <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I presently have two clients using the pix 501. We are happy with the
    > units and they've been in use for over two years. All are using the
    > most current software available.
    >
    > I have another client that wants to go with a Cisco security appliance
    > and after doing some investigating, web searching, and reading, I
    > admit I'm confused over what unit I should have the client use....Pix
    > 501 or the ASA 5505.

    The ASA for sure.
    The PIX will be discontinued in the near future ( although there is
    currently still no EOS ).

    I don't see a single reason to stay with the PIX.

    Br.
    Robby

    Robby Cauwerts, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Buck Rogers

    Town Dummy Guest

    Buy the ASA and use it. THe PDM inferface will be easier for you to use.
    The only draw back for the ASA for what you are doing is that the IOS will
    not support PPTP vpn connections.

    Town Dummy, Dec 23, 2007
  4. On Dec 23, 6:42 pm, "Town Dummy" <> wrote:

    > The only draw back for the ASA for what you are doing is that the IOS will
    > not support PPTP vpn connections.

    True, but it does support L2TP over IPSec, if you want to use a native
    Windows vpn client.

    Robby Cauwerts, Dec 23, 2007
  5. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:45:48 -0800 (PST), Robby Cauwerts
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 22, 8:48 pm, Buck Rogers <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I presently have two clients using the pix 501. We are happy with the
    >> units and they've been in use for over two years. All are using the
    >> most current software available.
    >>
    >> I have another client that wants to go with a Cisco security appliance
    >> and after doing some investigating, web searching, and reading, I
    >> admit I'm confused over what unit I should have the client use....Pix
    >> 501 or the ASA 5505.

    >The ASA for sure.
    >The PIX will be discontinued in the near future ( although there is
    >currently still no EOS ).
    >
    >I don't see a single reason to stay with the PIX.
    >
    >Br.
    >Robby

    Thanks for your and all other responses. I'm going with the ASA 5505.

    Regards,

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Dec 23, 2007