Pix 501 SNMP total Byte Count

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by stedlar, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. stedlar

    stedlar Guest

    Hi All

    I have a PIX 501 (6.3) and would like to be able to monitor its usage.
    We get charged per megabyte by our ISP and they only update our usage
    stats every two days.

    I need to be able to keep a very close eye on things and would like to
    use the PIX to do it.

    Now thanks to Scott Enwright and Vincent C Jones I am able to monitor
    the traffic flow, Xlates and CPU usage using MRTG. How ever I can see
    no way to get a Byte Count.

    With that I mean I would like to know the total bytes that have passed
    through the PIX.

    Would any one know what OID I would need to get that information, or
    any other way it could be obtained?

    Thanks.
    stedlar, Feb 16, 2004

  2. stedlar

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a PIX 501 (6.3) and would like to be able to monitor its usage.
    > We get charged per megabyte by our ISP and they only update our usage
    > stats every two days.
    >
    > I need to be able to keep a very close eye on things and would like to
    > use the PIX to do it.
    >
    > Now thanks to Scott Enwright and Vincent C Jones I am able to monitor
    > the traffic flow, Xlates and CPU usage using MRTG. How ever I can see
    > no way to get a Byte Count.
    >
    > With that I mean I would like to know the total bytes that have passed
    > through the PIX.
    >
    > Would any one know what OID I would need to get that information, or
    > any other way it could be obtained?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'm pretty sure that there's no OID with byte count, or any other such
    count. (Walter will correct me if I0m wrong).

    You can get bytecount using some debug levels in PIX syslog.

    --
    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Feb 17, 2004

  3. stedlar

    stedlar Guest

    Hi all again

    Here is the strangest thing. I have been searching for ages to find a
    cumulative byte count so I can track the total megabytes of upload and
    download. As I mentioned, we get billed per Megabyte and so I needed
    real time information.

    Any way, I installed MRTG which would give me all sorts of traffic
    flows, but not a cumulative total. So then I thought maybe if I could
    keep a track of the bytes per second and track it over time, then at
    least I could be alerted if the traffic flow was above normal.

    So I look at the log files created by MRTG and there on the first line
    is the Cumulative byte count since last reboot of the pix. It must use
    the byte count to work out what the traffic flow was over the last 5
    minutes. But it never keeps a record of the Cumulative byte count. It
    just records it again and removes the old total from the log.

    So anyway I can get the cumulative byte count from the first line of
    the log file created by MRTG.

    What I can't understand is why it has to be so hard. I would have
    thought that this sort of information would have been of great
    interest and easy to get hold of. Not hidden in the darkest recesses.
    stedlar, Feb 17, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    stedlar <> wrote:
    . . .
    >So I look at the log files created by MRTG and there on the first line
    >is the Cumulative byte count since last reboot of the pix. It must use
    >the byte count to work out what the traffic flow was over the last 5
    >minutes. But it never keeps a record of the Cumulative byte count. It
    >just records it again and removes the old total from the log.
    >
    >So anyway I can get the cumulative byte count from the first line of
    >the log file created by MRTG.
    >
    >What I can't understand is why it has to be so hard. I would have
    >thought that this sort of information would have been of great
    >interest and easy to get hold of. Not hidden in the darkest recesses.

    Its not hard! Getting the incremental traffic per five minute slot is
    what takes all the work. The SNMP MIB value is total bytes since start
    up of the SNMP subsystem on the PIX. Just be VERY careful, because it is
    a 32-bit unsigned integer and will roll over if you have enough traffic
    (in minutes on a GB Ethernet under heavy load). MRTG includes logic to
    detect roll-over and compensate when calculating incremental traffic.

    If you don't want to mess with MRTG, you can 'snmpget' the MIB value
    yourself. Just don't be fooled when it rolls over.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Feb 18, 2004