    upgrades ? A list of do's and don't maybe to avoid hosing the
    device ?

    THanks,
    Jimmy, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Jimmy

    mcaissie Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm going to be installing a firmware upgrade (latest) on a
    > PIX 501 with 6.1(2) later this week. Since I've never done this
    > before and have no specific training, I thought I'd ask a
    > couple of questions:
    >
    > - will the existing configuration settings be preserved ?

    Yes , but this doesn't mean that you don't have to take a backup before.

    -install your TFTP and copy the firmware
    -save your config with " write net [tftpIP]:yourconfig.cfg
    -install new firmware "copy tftp://[tftpIP]/pix633.bin flash:image "
    -install new pdm if needed " copy tftp://[tftpIP]/pdm-301.bin flash:pdm"
    -"reload"

    your done
    mcaissie, Nov 10, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Jimmy <> wrote:
    :I'm going to be installing a firmware upgrade (latest) on a
    :pIX 501 with 6.1(2) later this week. Since I've never done this
    :before and have no specific training, I thought I'd ask a
    :couple of questions:

    :- will the existing configuration settings be preserved ? I'd
    :assume that the PIX would be smart enough to do this, but you
    :never know. Do I have so save and re-install that configuration,
    :eek:r does it automatically preserve it ?

    The configuration will be preserved, but it will also be transformed
    slightly in some cases, such as with new fixup's added, or additional
    time-out's.

    If you are keeping a master configuration on a tftp server outside
    of the PIX, then after the upgrade, you should send a config up from
    the PIX and compare and merge the new version with your master version.

    :- is there an FAQ or something that I should read on TFTP based
    :upgrades ? A list of do's and don't maybe to avoid hosing the
    :device ?

    It never hurts to have a saved configuration just-in-case. Suppose,
    for example, that the upgrade works but you find some bug in the
    upgrade that you have to regress to get around: you're going to want
    a copy of your pre-upgrade config to fall back to.
    Walter Roberson, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Jimmy

    Brian Bergin Guest

    Jimmy <> wrote:

    |I'm going to be installing a firmware upgrade (latest) on a
    |PIX 501 with 6.1(2) later this week. Since I've never done this
    |before and have no specific training, I thought I'd ask a
    |couple of questions:

    |- will the existing configuration settings be preserved ? I'd
    |assume that the PIX would be smart enough to do this, but you
    |never know. Do I have so save and re-install that configuration,
    |or does it automatically preserve it ?

    |- is there an FAQ or something that I should read on TFTP based
    |upgrades ? A list of do's and don't maybe to avoid hosing the
    |device ?
    |
    |THanks,

    6.3 (3) is the "latest" OS for the PIX 501. I'm running it on one of ours.
    6.2(2) is quite old.

    Thanks...
    Brian Bergin

    I can be reached via e-mail at
    cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

    Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.
    Brian Bergin, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:48:45 GMT, "mcaissie"
    <> wrote:

    >-install your TFTP and copy the firmware
    >-save your config with " write net [tftpIP]:yourconfig.cfg
    >-install new firmware "copy tftp://[tftpIP]/pix633.bin flash:image "
    >-install new pdm if needed " copy tftp://[tftpIP]/pdm-301.bin flash:pdm"
    >-"reload"

    Thanks. That hit the nail on the head.
    Jimmy, Nov 14, 2003