    Thanks in advance,
    NAT

    , Sep 13, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >Can I do everything using the PDM built into the 501 that I can do with
    >the 506 on the command line? My needs only extend to the needs above -
    >point multiple port 80s coming into the PIX to individual computers in
    >my LAN. Also ports 21, 3690, etc.

    Yes, pretty much.

    On the other hand, the particular PDM configuration screen that you
    need to do that kind of setup, is so poorly designed that it is
    pretty much impossible to understand some of the options unless
    you already know how to read the command line information and have
    hours and hours of time to experiment. Faster to use the command line
    to start with.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > Yes, pretty much.

    Thanks Walter, I figured that was the case.

    NAT

    , Sep 13, 2006
  4. Guest

    Another follow-up question: I know it is generally inadvisable to buy
    cisco stuff on ebay, but I'm considering it for this purchase since I'm
    happy to not have supportnet as this is a home use system. Is that a
    very very bad idea? So long as I can get it operational in the first
    place, I don't anticipate wanting to do any sw upgrades. Ebay is about
    $200 for pix 501, refurb online is around $325 and new is about $350.

    NAT

    wrote:
    > Walter Roberson wrote:
    > > Yes, pretty much.

    > Thanks Walter, I figured that was the case.
    >
    > NAT

    , Sep 14, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Another follow-up question: I know it is generally inadvisable to buy
    >cisco stuff on ebay, but I'm considering it for this purchase since I'm
    >happy to not have supportnet as this is a home use system. Is that a
    >very very bad idea? So long as I can get it operational in the first
    >place, I don't anticipate wanting to do any sw upgrades.

    If it doesn't have 6.3(5)112 then you would be missing the latest
    security update and have no way of getting it. It also appears -probable-
    to me that between one and three more 6.3(5) security updates will
    be issued [-estimating- by the several Cisco security alerts that have
    been going around lately], possibly numbered as 6.3(6) and possibly not.

    The 501 is an oddity, in that it has NOT been declared EOS but there
    isn't any apparent software coming out for it. Cisco doesn't
    -usually- continue to sell as new and "fully supported" a product that
    they don't intend to upgrade at all: they would normally declare an EOS
    on it so that people would at least know what they were getting into.

    The best I can figure is that the 501 is still selling well, and that
    the 5505 is too new to have the bugs shaken out yet enough to
    be considered to replace the 501 -- especially since the ASA 55xx
    series do not support PPTP yet (and looks to have only added PPPoE
    in the very newest version, 7.2(1) ) But unless Cisco makes some
    move on software for the 501 then it is going to have a bunch of
    unhappy customers if it suddenly EOS's the 501. Perhaps a trade-up
    program to the ASA 5505 would be offered.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 14, 2006