PIX 501 and PDM

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bill H, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Bill H

    Bill H Guest

    I've just purchases a Cisco PIX 501 firewall appliance and am looking for
    any examples of using the GUI PDM to configure some simple access into a
    simple network of servers; you know - click here, click there, etc. I have
    no knowledge of Cisco's language.

    I've spent about 8 hours looking through Cisco's documentation and can only
    find CLI examples and that's not what I'm looking for. I've contacted
    Cisco's TAC and email support and have received no response. I've spent
    about 4-5 hours trying different combinations if this and that, all to no
    avail. This is my last option. :-(

    I've changed from a Linux IPTABLES configuration, on a linux server, to this
    device with the hopes of easing the management dramatically. So far, I
    can't seem to track down any examples that show how to do something simple
    like:

    * Allow ssh in from 2 external IP addresses on port 4722 and route
    it to the internal server using IP address 10.0.1.12.

    Can anyone help. Thanks in advance,

    Bill

    Bill H, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Bill H

    Guest

    You have to configure a few parameters via CLI to access the pix via
    browser.
    First you have to make a 'show version' to check the version of pix-os
    and pdm. Then look for a line like 'http server enable', add 'http
    [your ip] [mask] inside' and try to connect via http.

    , Jul 21, 2004

  3. Bill H

    Bill H Guest

    I'm sorry I didn't mention this, but I do have the device and PDM setup
    properly and can access the PIX using PDM, telnet and ssh (internally) with
    no problem. The device is running fine and internal people can get out fine
    and nothing external can get in. :)

    It's just that I can't seem to find an example of how to configure a simple
    rule (looking for external -> internal right now) using only the PDM.

    Thanks in advance,

    Bill

    Bill H, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Bill H

    admin too Guest

    "Bill H" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sorry I didn't mention this, but I do have the device and PDM setup
    > properly and can access the PIX using PDM, telnet and ssh (internally)

    with
    > no problem. The device is running fine and internal people can get out

    fine
    > and nothing external can get in. :)
    >
    > It's just that I can't seem to find an example of how to configure a

    simple
    > rule (looking for external -> internal right now) using only the PDM.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Bill

    Yeah, a wizard for this would be nice. Read the help in the PDM. It's not
    bad. To me it sounds like you need to start by setting up NAT translations,
    so start on that tab under Configure section. Once that is done you can
    create the access rules.

    admin too, Jul 21, 2004