Pirelli DP-L10 phone.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by T i m, May 3, 2008.

  1. T i m

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 09:44:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >On May 14, 2:20 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:
    >
    >> According to the manual, the battery should go on charge for 8 hours, but
    >> inside the box was a Sipgate flyer forbidding me to use the phone until a 24
    >> hour charge had been applied.  Not a big problem in itself, but I'm
    >> wondering whether the reports of the battery being rubbish might have
    >> something to do with this?

    >Maybe.

    I don't think so this is what Sipgate have to say on the
    matter........
    Duesseldorf, 14.5.2008

    Hi

    the battery has to be charged for 24 hours when you do it for the
    first time.
    I can't tell why the manual says something else.

    Best regards,

    Frederik van Koningshoven
    So there you go .

    , May 14, 2008

  2. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On May 14, 2:20 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:

    > According to the manual, the battery should go on charge for 8 hours, but
    > inside the box was a Sipgate flyer forbidding me to use the phone until a
    > 24
    > hour charge had been applied. Not a big problem in itself, but I'm
    > wondering whether the reports of the battery being rubbish might have
    > something to do with this?

    Maybe.

    > There is no charging cradle, just a usb lead
    > that plugs into a euro mains plug (that in turn plugs into a UK mains
    > plug)
    > at one end, and a baby usb connector that goes into the phone itself.

    The usb lead is one way to charge the phone but not recommended. See
    this site: http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=140439 where
    they say:
    ""Don't charge with the USB cable, or be careful not to overcharge the
    battery.""

    ****
    The proverbial rock and hard place then - damned if I do and damned if I
    don't.

    ****
    Oh and that link above is the page with instructions on firmware to
    set up to 5 SIP profiles - which I mentioned earlier in the thread.

    ****
    Didn't mention this before, but there's a mini CD enclosed with a firmware
    upgrade on it. It's not available just now, but I'll look out the version
    no. later.

    ****
    > One more thing. I'm not yet ready to put in a SIM card, but I can't get
    > past the WAP configuration part of the menu, so until a sim is inserted,
    > it
    > looks as though I won't be able to configure the voip part. I'll see if I
    > can scrounge one to try.

    EH? The WAP part has nowt to do with the VOIP configuration. WAP CAN
    be used via the WLAN connection without a SIM. One of ours doesn't
    have a SIM card in it.... That said WAP surfing is pretty dire on this
    display, but not something we use, so not an issue here....

    Or did you mean the WEP security settings part of a WLAN connection?

    ****
    My mistook - the battery showed up as being fully charged within an hour,
    and only then was I able to enter the VOIP Settings. I've now got it
    configured for Sipgate because those nice people in Dusseldorf published a
    web page with the settings laid out a la Janet and John.

    cybuerke, May 14, 2008

  3. T i m

    Guest

    On May 14, 7:01 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > On May 14, 2:20 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:
    >
    > > According to the manual, the battery should go on charge for 8 hours, but
    > > inside the box was a Sipgate flyer forbidding me to use the phone until a
    > > 24
    > > hour charge had been applied. Not a big problem in itself, but I'm
    > > wondering whether the reports of the battery being rubbish might have
    > > something to do with this?

    > Maybe.
    >
    > > There is no charging cradle, just a usb lead
    > > that plugs into a euro mains plug (that in turn plugs into a UK mains
    > > plug)
    > > at one end, and a baby usb connector that goes into the phone itself.

    > The usb lead is one way to charge the phone but not recommended. See
    > this site:http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=140439where
    > they say:
    > ""Don't charge with the USB cable, or be careful not to overcharge the
    > battery.""
    >
    > ****
    > The proverbial rock and hard place then - damned if I do and damned if I
    > don't.

    I'm quite surprised it doesn't come supplied with a cradle. Maybe the
    euro mains plug you mention has some kind of "limiter" to protect
    against overcharging?

    The bit I quoted above refers to, I think, charging with just a normal
    USB lead (normal USB plug one end and a mini USB the other end)
    connected to a computer. Always handy for a quick charge if you're out
    at a friend's or the office and you done have the normal charger
    cradle with you.

    EDIT: Having just written the above, I decide to take the cradle apart
    to see what is inside. See this pic:
    http://redy.net/voiptalker/DCP03869.JPG
    As you can see there is a small circuit board inside the cradle -
    maybe this is what stops overcharging?

    As you say - rock and fireplace syndrome

    --

    , May 14, 2008
  4. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    <> wrote in message
    The bit I quoted above refers to, I think, charging with just a normal
    USB lead (normal USB plug one end and a mini USB the other end)
    connected to a computer. Always handy for a quick charge if you're out
    at a friend's or the office and you done have the normal charger
    cradle with you.

    EDIT: Having just written the above, I decide to take the cradle apart
    to see what is inside. See this pic:
    http://redy.net/voiptalker/DCP03869.JPG
    As you can see there is a small circuit board inside the cradle -
    maybe this is what stops overcharging?

    As you say - rock and fireplace syndrome

    ****
    It looks as though we have the same kind of 2 pin euro plug, which looks to
    be larger than is necessary for connecting two wires to two pins. Maybe
    there's some kind of resistor in that to control the power supply? (Note to
    the uninitiated in the ways of sparkery here - I could be talking complete
    cods at this point, so pay no attention.)

    Any road up - I intend to leave it on charge for 24 hours as per the
    destructions, and if I'm not left with a pile of melted plastic by noon
    tomorrow, that'll be a bonus.

    cybuerke, May 14, 2008
  5. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g0fca3$1l3l$,
    cybuerke <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    :
    : Any road up - I intend to leave it on charge for 24 hours as per the
    : destructions, and if I'm not left with a pile of melted plastic by
    : noon tomorrow, that'll be a bonus.

    I wouldn't worry too much, plug-top PSU's often get rather warm, I've had
    a few that you could hardly touch, but I'm still here ;-)

    I'll hopefully be in until noon if you have a working phone to call..!
    Just taken the plunge and ordered one so we'll see how it goes......

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 14, 2008
  6. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > I wouldn't worry too much, plug-top PSU's often get rather warm, I've had
    > a few that you could hardly touch, but I'm still here ;-)
    >
    > I'll hopefully be in until noon if you have a working phone to call..!
    > Just taken the plunge and ordered one so we'll see how it goes......
    >

    > Ivor

    The 24 hours charge seems to have been OK. The euro plug didn't become any
    hotter than it was after the first few minutes.

    I did notice that the battery level indicator showed a full charge very
    early on, but while I was faffing about with the settings this morning, it
    reverted back to showing a 'charging' status. I pulled the plug anyway
    after the 24 hours was up, and it showed a full charge on battery power. It
    still does after an hour and a half of setting and resetting the voip
    connection from Sipgate to Voxalot where I've got 5 different accounts to
    play around with. You wouldn't believe how many different status and echo
    tests you can make if you really put your mind to it. Not to mention the
    'Tellme' service news, sports and weather updates from the states! It
    performed well through all this, and even when the signal strength was only
    2 bars out of 6, strength and clarity was very good.

    What I thought was a firmware upgrade on a mini cd actually turned out to be
    a 'utility' programme. I think the idea is to configure the phone from the
    computer, but although the proggy installed ok on Windows XP and the phone
    shows up correctly on the task bar, I get a box popping up asking for the
    handset number, which at the moment I don't have a clue where to find. When
    I feel the need, I'll look for it.

    cybuerke, May 15, 2008
  7. T i m

    Guest

    On May 15, 1:28 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:

    > What I thought was a firmware upgrade on a mini cd actually turned out to be
    > a 'utility' programme.  I think the idea is to configure the phone from the
    > computer, but although the proggy installed ok on Windows XP and the phone
    > shows up correctly on the task bar, I get a box popping up asking for the
    > handset number, which at the moment I don't have a clue where to find.  When
    > I feel the need, I'll look for it.

    The utility program is what you need to upgrade firmware, download
    hpotos off the phone, etc.

    The phone code by default is 4 zeros - 0000 to connect via the utility

    --

    , May 15, 2008
  8. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    <> wrote in message

    The utility program is what you need to upgrade firmware, download
    hpotos off the phone, etc.

    The phone code by default is 4 zeros - 0000 to connect via the utility

    --

    Ah - righty ho, thanks for that.

    One more thing. I lost wireless signal on wifi a couple of times this
    afternoon, even though I was almost on top of the router. Have you had
    probs with this? Or perhaps I may have been covering the antenna with my
    hand. Would you know if that lives behind the little holes that are
    alongside the camera?

    cybuerke, May 15, 2008
  9. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "cybuerke" <> wrote in message
    > One more thing. I lost wireless signal on wifi a couple of times this
    > afternoon, even though I was almost on top of the router. Have you had
    > probs with this? Or perhaps I may have been covering the antenna with my
    > hand.

    Happened again last night, and this time I was able to track it down to a
    failed WPA passphrase handshake with the router.

    I've really got far too much hanging off this router. Four eth. ports +
    four wireless connections including this phone. Summats gonna have to go...

    cybuerke, May 16, 2008
  10. T i m

    Guest

    On May 16, 10:54 am, "cybuerke" <> wrote:

    > I've really got far too much hanging off this router.  Four eth. ports +
    > four wireless connections including this phone.  Summats gonna have to go...

    Doesn't sound that much to me. We have 4 ethernet, 1 USB and 5
    wireless connections to our router here with no issues of that
    type.... Don't know what router you use, but I thought most of the
    newish ones (at least 5 years or so) can handle up to 254 connections.

    --

    , May 16, 2008
  11. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On May 16, 10:54 am, "cybuerke" <> wrote:

    > I've really got far too much hanging off this router. Four eth. ports +
    > four wireless connections including this phone. Summats gonna have to
    > go...

    Doesn't sound that much to me. We have 4 ethernet, 1 USB and 5
    wireless connections to our router here with no issues of that
    type.... Don't know what router you use, but I thought most of the
    newish ones (at least 5 years or so) can handle up to 254 connections.

    --

    Well, it's a Belkin (love 'em or hate 'em) F5D8630. I do get the occasional
    blip on the network front. Can more or less rule out the cabling to the

    When I run Wireshark, the scrolling of traffic is frightening. I mean, I
    know that electronic switching is done at the speed of light, but Gordon
    Bennett, it's an almighty blur. And you're saying it can handle 254
    connections? Blimey.

    cybuerke, May 16, 2008
  12. T i m

    Guest

    On May 16, 12:44 pm, "cybuerke" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > On May 16, 10:54 am, "cybuerke" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've really got far too much hanging off this router. Four eth. ports +
    > > four wireless connections including this phone. Summats gonna have to
    > > go...

    > Doesn't sound that much to me. We have 4 ethernet, 1 USB and 5
    > wireless connections to our router here with no issues of that
    > type.... Don't know what router you use, but I thought most of the
    > newish ones (at least 5 years or so) can handle up to 254 connections.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Well, it's a Belkin (love 'em or hate 'em) F5D8630.  I do get the occasional
    > blip on the network front.  Can more or less rule out the cabling to the
    > exchange as that was renewed a couple of years back.  The internals are
    > good - filtered face plate and a very short run to the modem/router.  New
    > Cat 5e cables.
    >
    > When I run Wireshark, the scrolling of traffic is frightening.  I mean, I
    > know that electronic switching is done at the speed of light, but Gordon
    > Bennett, it's an almighty blur.  And you're saying it can handle 254
    > connections?  Blimey.

    Well, I assumed that most modern routers could handle "loads" of
    connections. Can't find confirmation right now, but I believe the
    Speedtouch 780wl can handle 254 connections and it's hardly the
    highest spec piece of kit around..

    Looking at the Belkin manual on:
    http://belkin.httpsvc.vitalstreamcdn.com/belkin_vitalstream_com/support/dl/p74911uk_f5d8630_man.pdf
    it seems that your model can handle 100 computers/connections (see
    pages 26-27 of the manual).

    --

    , May 16, 2008
  13. T i m

    marcoscu

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Chorley, UK
    I bought one and after a delay of a couple of weeks due to it being out of stock it duly arrived.
    It seems to work well enough, although not as good as my Linksys WIP330, and I made and received SIP and cell calls on it. The main problem I had was with battery life. I found I was only getting around 12 hours on standby at best.
    I am in the process now of RMA'ing it back to Sipgate for exchange.

    Does anyone know where the stand/charger can be obtained?

    marcoscu, May 17, 2008
  14. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Cybuerke:
    >>Happened again last night, and this time I was able to track it down to a
    >>failed WPA passphrase handshake with the router.

    > Little while ago I asked Zyxel if they going to provide firmware update
    > with WPA/2 for their WiFi phone.
    > The answer was: No, the WPA regular handshake cuts of the phone
    > connection.
    >
    > On the other hand the Senao has WPA, as do mobile / WiFi / VoIP phones.
    > So what is the full SP ?
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Can't find an answer anywhere about this. Maybe it's one of those things
    that 'just happens'. I had a series of dropped connections yesterday - not
    all on account of the phone though. All wireless was dropped at one point,
    although the wired connections were still up. At another time everything
    went, and not even a power cycle of the modem restored it. I don't think
    it's owt to do with the ISP or BT as nothing's been reported. I know a lot
    of ISPs will lie through their teeth, but the Entanet crowd are up front
    with their problems, so I tend to trust them.

    Anyway I pulled what I didn't need off the network, so I'm left with a
    wired PC and the Pirelli, and everything's been sweet over night. I'll just
    leave it as is today and see what occurs.

    cybuerke, May 18, 2008
  15. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : cybuerke expressed precisely :
    :
    : >
    : > Anyway I pulled what I didn't need off the network, so I'm left
    : > with a wired PC and the Pirelli, and everything's been sweet over
    : > night. I'll just leave it as is today and see what occurs.
    :
    :
    : Mine arrived yesterday & is now fully charged.
    :
    : It took all of 2 minutes to set the wifi up & connect it to my
    : Asterisk server as an extension.
    :
    : Very pleased with it.....except for one thing:
    :
    : For anyone else reading this, there's no Bluetooth support.

    Or infrared, but for the price, very good. All I need now is DECT
    support..!

    Oh, I don't like the way the predictive text works, it's not like my Nokia
    and there doesn't seem an easy way to add words to the dictionary.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 20, 2008
  16. T i m

    andy Guest

    On 20 May, 20:50, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    > Oh, I don't like the way the predictive text works, it's not like my Nokia
    > and there doesn't seem an easy way to add words to the dictionary.
    >
    > Ivor

    I'm not sure that predictive text has a dictionary (unless only for
    user-defined words?), just some spelling rules

    andy, May 20, 2008
  17. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    andy <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : On 20 May, 20:50, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    : >
    : > Oh, I don't like the way the predictive text works, it's not like
    : > my Nokia and there doesn't seem an easy way to add words to the
    : > dictionary.
    : >
    : > Ivor
    :
    : I'm not sure that predictive text has a dictionary (unless only for
    : user-defined words?), just some spelling rules

    Yes, my Nokia 6310i has a user dictionary that stores words you add that
    it didn't previously know. However there must be a base dictionary for
    common words or how would it know what spelling rules are..?

    But with the Pirelli I can't seem to add words to the user defined list,
    if indeed it has one. It decides that my mate's name Colin is in fact
    "Bolivia" and won't let me select any alternatives or add the name Colin
    manually.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 20, 2008
  18. T i m

    Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 23:43:31 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >But with the Pirelli I can't seem to add words to the user defined list,
    >if indeed it has one. It decides that my mate's name Colin is in fact
    >"Bolivia" and won't let me select any alternatives or add the name Colin
    >manually.

    So Ivor has you have said in another posting "Or infrared, but for the
    price, very good." may be but had you paid the asking price elsewhere
    for these phones I wonder if you would be saying the same ? .
    Personally the more I read what others have to say about them
    including yourself the more I am thinking they are a load of crap
    considering the asking price elsewhere.

    , May 21, 2008
  19. T i m

    andy Guest

    On 20 May, 23:43, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > andy <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > reason:
    > :
    > : I'm not sure that predictive text has a dictionary (unless only for
    > : user-defined words?), just some spelling rules
    >
    > Yes, my Nokia 6310i has a user dictionary that stores words you add that
    > it didn't previously know. However there must be a base dictionary for
    > common words or how would it know what spelling rules are..?

    I don't know how it works, maybe only in groups of 4 or 5 letters, but
    in a bored moment, you might start a new game by doodling in a few
    words like kohlabbalvsfalllllty or wadouioubabacbali or klinkabdoteidu

    or even copy down the word in the image that Google now wants me to
    enter to post on here ...

    andy, May 21, 2008
  20. T i m

    andy Guest

    On 21 May, 10:38, wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 23:43:31 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >But with the Pirelli I can't seem to add words to the user defined list,
    > >if indeed it has one. It decides that my mate's name Colin is in fact
    > >"Bolivia" and won't let me select any alternatives or add the name Colin
    > >manually.

    > So Ivor has you have said in another posting "Or infrared, but for the
    > price, very good." may be but had you paid the asking price elsewhere
    > for these phones I wonder if you would be saying the same ? .
    > Personally the more I read what others have to say about them
    > including yourself the more I am thinking they are a load of crap
    > considering the asking price elsewhere.

    no reason to assume that, maybe just superseded models at clearance
    prices

    You might also find the UT Starcom F1000G for £40, Siemens S450IP for
    £50

    maybe they don't have the latest features, but I didn't notice anyone
    saying those 2 are junk

    andy, May 21, 2008