Pirelli DP-L10 phone.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by T i m, May 3, 2008.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm not sure if I'm early or late to this particular party but I've
    bought a couple of the above, one for me to 'play with' and one for
    our daughters boyfriend to borrow (while he retains the b/f status
    anyway) ;-)

    We dumped an NTL/VM telephone line a while back (still have the BT
    line) that was for our daughter but as with many 17 year olds lives
    with her mobile, her land line wasn't good vfm.

    I bought a Fritz!Box Fon Wlan (with help here) and a basic pair of
    DECT phones (one downstairs, another up) but because our very old NTL
    modem didn't like some of the network upgrades going on and was a bit
    temperamental she would often get VoIP (Sipgate) calls dropped. I have
    since replaced the modem and although the broadband is now rock solid
    again she is still suffering the odd weird Dalek moment / dropout on
    VoIP? (VM cable and / or Sipgate possibly)?

    Prompted by said b/f being instructed by his Mum to 'lay off the phone
    usage (a £200 quarterly BT bill being something to do with it .. we
    'understood' they had a free evenings and weekends bundle ...
    obviously not ..) I thought I'd try him with the DP-L10.

    I set mine up easily to Sipgate and also put in an old Virgin PAYG SIM
    I had kicking about. I've tried it from a few mates WiFi networks
    (only quick test calls) where it seems to auto connect and register
    onto Sipgate pretty reliably, the calls connect first time and are
    clear etc.

    It feels very much a mobile rather than home phone in the hand as such
    (also no drop-in charging cradle supplied but a mobile style (USB)
    charging / data lead .. mains charger also included), mobile phone
    type menus and setup etc.

    Anyway, still early days but I'd thought I'd mention what I've
    experienced so far.

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, May 3, 2008

  2. T i m

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:47 +0000, T i m wrote:

    > I'm not sure if I'm early or late to this particular party but I've
    > bought a couple of the above,

    I looked into these when they first came out, but was put off by the
    price [not far off the cost of a used N95 or E61, both of which have 3G
    as well]. As you're using Sipgate I presume you've bought the subsidised
    ones from them; is it possible to change the SIP proxy so it could be
    used elsewhere?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:51:39 up 69 days, 5:46, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.09

    alexd, May 3, 2008

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On 03 May 2008 21:59:49 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:47 +0000, T i m wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure if I'm early or late to this particular party but I've
    >> bought a couple of the above,

    >I looked into these when they first came out, but was put off by the
    >price [not far off the cost of a used N95 or E61, both of which have 3G
    >as well].

    Ok ..

    >As you're using Sipgate I presume you've bought the subsidised
    >ones from them;

    Yes, well I noticed they were pretty cheap (at £59 etc).

    > is it possible to change the SIP proxy so it could be
    >used elsewhere?

    From what I understand you configure the phone as you see fit?

    Is there anything I could try to test that for you?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, May 3, 2008
  4. T i m

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:18:50 +0000, T i m wrote:

    > On 03 May 2008 21:59:49 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >> As you're using Sipgate I presume you've bought the subsidised ones
    >> from them;

    > Yes, well I noticed they were pretty cheap (at £59 etc).

    At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling them
    at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109 on
    eBay, no mention of VAT]. But then I thought, even if they were locked,
    it would forever for Sipgate to make their money back at their rates. So
    I've come to the conclusion that either a) Sipgate get them cheaper than
    everyone else, b) Sipgate lose money on every one or, c) Everyone else is
    coining it in.

    > From what I understand you configure the phone as you see fit?
    >
    > Is there anything I could try to test that for you?

    Just go into the WLAN/SIP settings and if it lets you specify anything
    other than sipgate.co.uk for domain name/proxy server/register server,
    then it should work with services other than Sipgate. I am interested in
    one and I use Sipgate, but I use it through Asterisk so if it was locked
    it would be no use to me.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:48:53 up 69 days, 18:44, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.24, 0.18

    alexd, May 4, 2008
  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On 04 May 2008 11:44:33 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:18:50 +0000, T i m wrote:
    >
    >> On 03 May 2008 21:59:49 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >>> As you're using Sipgate I presume you've bought the subsidised ones
    >>> from them;

    >> Yes, well I noticed they were pretty cheap (at £59 etc).

    >At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling them
    >at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109 on
    >eBay, no mention of VAT].

    I must say I was looking for the 'catch' (but didn't spot any) and as
    I was probably going to use them through Sipgate anyway so it wasn't a
    show stopper for me.

    >But then I thought, even if they were locked,
    >it would forever for Sipgate to make their money back at their rates.

    Indeed, especially from me!

    > So
    >I've come to the conclusion that either

    >a) Sipgate get them cheaper than everyone else,

    Might have done a deal ..? Do you know how old this model is .. or is
    there something better due out soon?

    > b) Sipgate lose money on every one

    Do the bean counters let that happen these days?

    >c) Everyone else is
    >coining it in.

    That would be my bet. If you can buy a WiFi dongle for a couple of
    quid, a mobile for £20 and a pair of DECT phones for the same I can't
    see any device like that selling for more than 50 quid really?

    >> From what I understand you configure the phone as you see fit?
    >>
    >> Is there anything I could try to test that for you?

    >Just go into the WLAN/SIP settings and if it lets you specify anything
    >other than sipgate.co.uk for domain name/proxy server/register server,
    >then it should work with services other than Sipgate. I am interested in
    >one and I use Sipgate, but I use it through Asterisk so if it was locked
    >it would be no use to me.

    Ok, weal I changed the domain to a made up one and I lost the VOIP
    field on the display (so it did something that's for sure). I blanked
    the field and it said VOIP again?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    p.s. Daughters boyfriend has just set his up and we have had a chat.
    I'll have to say the audio quality was pretty good. ;-)

    T i m, May 4, 2008
  6. T i m

    Guest

    > >At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling them
    > >at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109 on
    > >eBay, no mention of VAT].

    €99 on ebay Germany:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Dual-mode-Wi-Fi-...yZ108269QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > >> From what I understand you configure the phone as you see fit?

    Yes, as long as the firmware allows it. We have 3 of these at home -
    all with different firmwares - all registered to a home PiaF Asterisk
    system. Though not the Pirelli phone, they're T-Mobile TC300s, which
    is basically a rebadged version. Used in conjunction with the TC300
    Sinus base staion, the phones can be used to call, and receive calls,
    via 3 different routes - 1 as an ordinary mobile (GSM), 2 through a
    VOIP account (voipbuster/asterisk or whatever) and 3 through your
    landline. Without the Sinus base station, it has just the 2 modes, GSM
    and VOIP, though of course, used with a Fritzbox, Asterisk or
    Speedtouch 780wl, or whatever kit has PSTN connectivity, you should be
    able to dial out via your landline too...

    > >Just go into the WLAN/SIP settings and if it lets you specify anything
    > >other than sipgate.co.uk for domain name/proxy server/register server,
    > >then it should work with services other than Sipgate. I am interested in
    > >one and I use Sipgate, but I use it through Asterisk so if it was locked
    > >it would be no use to me.

    Don't know if the Sipgate one is locked or not. If it /is/ locked, you
    could always change the firmware?

    There are voipbuster setup instructions (in Spanish) here:
    http://www.frikis.net/tc-300-voipbuster-llamadas-gratis/566

    , May 5, 2008
  7. T i m

    Tim Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling them
    > at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109 on
    > eBay, no mention of VAT]. But then I thought, even if they were locked,
    > it would forever for Sipgate to make their money back at their rates. So
    > I've come to the conclusion that either a) Sipgate get them cheaper than
    > everyone else, b) Sipgate lose money on every one or, c) Everyone else is
    > coining it in.

    Or perhaps it is a rubbish phone that nobody else will buy.

    Tim

    Tim, May 6, 2008
  8. T i m

    Nick Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > alexd wrote:
    > > At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling

    them
    > > at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109

    on
    > > eBay, no mention of VAT]. But then I thought, even if they were locked,
    > > it would forever for Sipgate to make their money back at their rates. So
    > > I've come to the conclusion that either a) Sipgate get them cheaper than
    > > everyone else, b) Sipgate lose money on every one or, c) Everyone else

    is
    > > coining it in.

    > Or perhaps it is a rubbish phone that nobody else will buy.
    >
    > Tim

    Judging by the "blanket" email Sipgate has sent to its registered users, the
    phone must
    not be selling?

    Draw your own conclusions!

    Nick, May 9, 2008
  9. T i m

    Guest

    On Fri, 9 May 2008 23:17:45 +0100, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> alexd wrote:
    >> > At first I assumed they were locked to Sipgate, as nobody is selling

    >them
    >> > at anywhere near the price that Sipgate do [cheapest I've seen is £109

    >on
    >> > eBay, no mention of VAT]. But then I thought, even if they were locked,
    >> > it would forever for Sipgate to make their money back at their rates. So
    >> > I've come to the conclusion that either a) Sipgate get them cheaper than
    >> > everyone else, b) Sipgate lose money on every one or, c) Everyone else

    >is
    >> > coining it in.

    >> Or perhaps it is a rubbish phone that nobody else will buy.
    >>
    >> Tim

    >Judging by the "blanket" email Sipgate has sent to its registered users, the
    >phone must
    >not be selling?
    >
    >Draw your own conclusions!

    I surprised that anything is selling regarding Sipgate I requested
    that they completely remove me from their database a year or so ago
    now but they still so fit to stuff their rubbish into my mailbox.
    It is time their UK representative got them sorted regarding sending
    out unsolicited mail in fact I shall be in the land of the great Adolf
    in a couple of weeks time I shall drop in and sort them myself .

    , May 10, 2008
  10. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Tim
    >>Or perhaps it is a rubbish phone that nobody else will buy.

    > Not necessarily, this is an unknown make (of phone) in UK and probably
    > Europe too, and it's neither simple mobile phone, nor fully featured one
    > like the top of the range Nokia's, etc.
    > Consequently it must be fairly difficult to sell.
    > But the price is right, so I am tempted.
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    And so was I, so I did, yesterday afternoon. Had an email an hour or so
    later with a UPS tracking number to tell me it's on its way.

    I understand that it's already loaded up with the Sipgate configuration for
    voip, but when it arrives I'll have a go at changing that to Voxalot and
    I'll report back.

    It's all that T i m's fault. Yes, him with the spaces. He started all
    this.

    cybuerke, May 10, 2008
  11. T i m

    simon Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:47 GMT, T i m said:

    >Anyway, still early days but I'd thought I'd mention what I've
    >experienced so far.

    One thing that puts me off this phone is the one hour talk time (as
    reported by Sipgate). Is it really as bad as that?

    simon, May 10, 2008
  12. T i m

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 02:41:02 +0100, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    >Tim
    >>Or perhaps it is a rubbish phone that nobody else will buy.

    >Not necessarily, this is an unknown make (of phone) in UK and probably
    >Europe too, and it's neither simple mobile phone, nor fully featured one
    >like the top of the range Nokia's, etc.
    >Consequently it must be fairly difficult to sell.
    >But the price is right, so I am tempted.
    >Regards,
    >Martin

    As they are selling so cheap compared with other outlets these from
    Sipgate must have something wrong or different about them .

    , May 10, 2008
  13. T i m

    Iain Guest

    wrote:

    > As they are selling so cheap compared with other outlets these from
    > Sipgate must have something wrong or different about them .

    We can rely on you to get it wrong, Ron.

    Iain, May 10, 2008
  14. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Iain <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : wrote:
    :
    : > As they are selling so cheap compared with other outlets these from
    : > Sipgate must have something wrong or different about them .
    :
    : We can rely on you to get it wrong, Ron.

    Indeed ;-)

    I look forward to a review from someone who's bought one, quite tempted.
    The battery life quoted is a bit worrying though, being used to a Nokia
    6310i which lasts for weeks on standby..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2008
  15. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:47 GMT, T i m said:
    >
    >>Anyway, still early days but I'd thought I'd mention what I've
    >>experienced so far.

    > One thing that puts me off this phone is the one hour talk time (as
    > reported by Sipgate). Is it really as bad as that?

    This is the same phone as the Tovo t450g, which has a reported talk time of
    240 min GSM and 160 min WiFi and 150 hrs Standby.

    http://www.tovo.com/t450g_WiFi-GSM_Mobile.htm#

    cybuerke, May 10, 2008
  16. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g048lb$5t4$,
    cybuerke <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : "simon" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:10:47 GMT, T i m said:
    : >
    : >>Anyway, still early days but I'd thought I'd mention what I've
    : >>experienced so far.
    : >
    : > One thing that puts me off this phone is the one hour talk time (as
    : > reported by Sipgate). Is it really as bad as that?
    :
    : This is the same phone as the Tovo t450g, which has a reported talk
    : time of 240 min GSM and 160 min WiFi and 150 hrs Standby.
    :
    : http://www.tovo.com/t450g_WiFi-GSM_Mobile.htm#

    Bit of a price difference though..! Are we sure the Sipgate/Pirelli
    version has no limitations or cut-down facilities in comparison..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2008
  17. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : I surprised that anything is selling regarding Sipgate I requested
    : that they completely remove me from their database a year or so ago
    : now but they still so fit to stuff their rubbish into my mailbox.
    : It is time their UK representative got them sorted regarding sending
    : out unsolicited mail in fact I shall be in the land of the great Adolf
    : in a couple of weeks time I shall drop in and sort them myself .

    I'd pay to see that..! I thought you said you'd never set foot in Germany,
    Ron..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2008
  18. T i m

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:07:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: I surprised that anything is selling regarding Sipgate I requested
    >: that they completely remove me from their database a year or so ago
    >: now but they still so fit to stuff their rubbish into my mailbox.
    >: It is time their UK representative got them sorted regarding sending
    >: out unsolicited mail in fact I shall be in the land of the great Adolf
    >: in a couple of weeks time I shall drop in and sort them myself .
    >
    >I'd pay to see that..! I thought you said you'd never set foot in Germany,
    >Ron..?

    Where Sipgate is concerned I would even set foot in blasted Israel.

    , May 10, 2008
  19. T i m

    cybuerke Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > In news:g048lb$5t4$,
    > cybuerke <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > reason:
    > : This is the same phone as the Tovo t450g, which has a reported talk
    > : time of 240 min GSM and 160 min WiFi and 150 hrs Standby.
    > :
    > : http://www.tovo.com/t450g_WiFi-GSM_Mobile.htm#
    >
    > Bit of a price difference though..! Are we sure the Sipgate/Pirelli
    > version has no limitations or cut-down facilities in comparison..?
    >
    > Ivor

    <sucks in breath> I'm about to find out, as my my phone's due to be
    delivered on Wednesday. I've checked the user manual for both 'models' and
    they're identical. Any significant difference though, and back it trots to
    Dusseldorf.

    I'll report back.

    cybuerke, May 10, 2008
  20. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:07:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >In news:,
    : > <> typed, for some strange,
    : >unexplained reason:
    : >
    : >[snip]
    : >
    : >: I surprised that anything is selling regarding Sipgate I requested
    : >: that they completely remove me from their database a year or so ago
    : >: now but they still so fit to stuff their rubbish into my mailbox.
    : >: It is time their UK representative got them sorted regarding
    : >: sending out unsolicited mail in fact I shall be in the land of the
    : >: great Adolf in a couple of weeks time I shall drop in and sort
    : >: them myself .
    : >
    : >I'd pay to see that..! I thought you said you'd never set foot in
    : >Germany, Ron..?

    : Where Sipgate is concerned I would even set foot in blasted Israel.

    Ok let me know when, I'll come and watch..! I might even sell tickets.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2008