Pirated Win XP questions?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Hanna, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Bill Hanna

    Bill Hanna Guest

    Hi,

    I got a laptop with a bad HDD and questionable motherboard. So, I
    replaced the HDD and then needed an operating system so I paid $20.00 for
    a copy of Win XP Pro. The guy said it is a corparate version and
    therefore would not need to be registered. He also gave me a key.

    I realized he was likely lying and it was probably pirated. I HAVE NO
    PROBLEM WITH BUYING a legit copy of Win XP, except that I really do not
    want to pay for it only to find out that the intermittent question
    involving the MB ends up causing the laptop to be trash. Thus, leaving me
    with a copy of Win XP that I have no use for.

    So... I loaded the copy of XP and using the key he gave me, it loaded
    just fine. It asked me if I wanted to register now or later. I then had
    no problem getting lots of updates from Microsoft. But when I tried to
    get SP1, they said my key is invalid. Thus... my questions are...

    How long do I have before it quits because it is not registered? Because
    it does not have SP1 installed, am I risking getting some virus that will
    cause lasting problems even after I get a real copy of XP?

    I mean.... My plan is to use the ripped off XP for a few weeks so I can
    be sure it is worth paying for a valid copy, and then having the time to
    get it over Ebay.

    Anyone know how long I have?
    Bill Hanna, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Bill Hanna

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:20:08 -0500, Bill Hanna wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I got a laptop with a bad HDD and questionable motherboard. So, I
    >replaced the HDD and then needed an operating system so I paid $20.00 for
    >a copy of Win XP Pro. The guy said it is a corparate version and
    >therefore would not need to be registered. He also gave me a key.

    Avtivation versus Registration two different issues.

    >I realized he was likely lying and it was probably pirated. I HAVE NO
    >PROBLEM WITH BUYING a legit copy of Win XP, except that I really do not

    But you didn't :-(

    Did the CD have Holograms all over it XP Pro SP1 does. Did you get a
    certificate of authentication? Your CD didn't have SP1 built in?

    >want to pay for it only to find out that the intermittent question
    >involving the MB ends up causing the laptop to be trash. Thus, leaving me
    >with a copy of Win XP that I have no use for.

    How do you figure that?

    See the MS site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx
    Activation / How To Tell valid product links.

    >So... I loaded the copy of XP and using the key he gave me, it loaded
    >just fine. It asked me if I wanted to register now or later. I then had
    >no problem getting lots of updates from Microsoft. But when I tried to
    >get SP1, they said my key is invalid. Thus... my questions are...

    There is a difference between activation and registration, valid key
    codes and those pirated key codes MS decided to block.

    As for your other questions, see the many hundreds of blogs, Usenet
    posts ever since the avtivation/blocked keys issue was first commented
    on.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Bill Hanna

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Bill Hanna
    says...

    > So... I loaded the copy of XP and using the key he gave me, it loaded
    > just fine. It asked me if I wanted to register now or later. I then had
    > no problem getting lots of updates from Microsoft. But when I tried to
    > get SP1, they said my key is invalid. Thus... my questions are...
    >
    > How long do I have before it quits because it is not registered?

    Forever.

    > Because
    > it does not have SP1 installed, am I risking getting some virus that will
    > cause lasting problems even after I get a real copy of XP?

    Correct BUT if you use AV software and a firewall as well as any
    browser/e-mail client thats not Internet Explorer/Outlook Express based
    then you should be OK.

    > I mean.... My plan is to use the ripped off XP for a few weeks so I can
    > be sure it is worth paying for a valid copy, and then having the time to
    > get it over Ebay.
    >
    > Anyone know how long I have?

    Forever.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Bill Hanna

    Bill Hanna Guest

    Thank you very much for actually reading my OP and giving a reasoned
    reply.

    Bill

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:51:11 +0100, While running hot, Conor
    <> posted:
    ..

    Bill Hanna, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Bill Hanna

    Bill Hanna Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:46:23 GMT, While running hot, why?
    <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> posted:
    ..
    >>I realized he was likely lying and it was probably pirated. I HAVE NO
    >>PROBLEM WITH BUYING a legit copy of Win XP, except that I really do not

    >But you didn't :-(
    >
    >Did the CD have Holograms all over it XP Pro SP1 does. Did you get a
    >certificate of authentication? Your CD didn't have SP1 built in?

    Obviously not.

    >>want to pay for it only to find out that the intermittent question
    >>involving the MB ends up causing the laptop to be trash. Thus, leaving me
    >>with a copy of Win XP that I have no use for.

    >How do you figure that?

    Because if I bought a copy and the laptop became trash... I would not
    have any use for the OS. That said... I thought that point was fully made
    in my OP and therefore, I do not understand why you did not apparently,
    understand and why you asked your question.

    BTW... My googleing brought an overabundence of "information". Much was
    no doubt inacturate. Thus, I turned to this NG because most of the time
    acurate information is given here.
    Bill Hanna, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Bill Hanna

    DaveW Guest

    For the most accurate information, go straight to the source:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_xpsp1.mspx

    DaveW, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Bill Hanna

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:58:48 -0500, Bill Hanna wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:46:23 GMT, While running hot, why?
    ><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> posted:
    >.
    >>>I realized he was likely lying and it was probably pirated. I HAVE NO
    >>>PROBLEM WITH BUYING a legit copy of Win XP, except that I really do not

    >>But you didn't :-(
    >>
    >>Did the CD have Holograms all over it XP Pro SP1 does. Did you get a
    >>certificate of authentication? Your CD didn't have SP1 built in?

    >Obviously not.

    You get what you pay for.

    >>>want to pay for it only to find out that the intermittent question
    >>>involving the MB ends up causing the laptop to be trash. Thus, leaving me
    >>>with a copy of Win XP that I have no use for.

    >>How do you figure that?

    >Because if I bought a copy and the laptop became trash... I would not
    >have any use for the OS. That said... I thought that point was fully made

    But you didn't say you were not going to transfer it onto another
    PC/laptop did you?

    >in my OP and therefore, I do not understand why you did not apparently,

    No. I always buy an OS that won't work on another system or never buy
    replacment parts if something broke. I would rather go without a PC than
    have a working one.

    >understand and why you asked your question.

    In that case if the expense is a problem, try Linux. The only initial
    cost is downloading / mailing fee and some blanks CDs to burn a copy on.

    >BTW... My googleing brought an overabundence of "information". Much was

    Using a search like
    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp service pack invalid key
    produces a relevant hits in the first 10, no need to go to the 2nd page.

    The 10th one is a MS article that even lists partial invalid keys
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/volkeys_winxpsp1.mspx?gssnb=1

    >no doubt inacturate. Thus, I turned to this NG because most of the time
    >acurate information is given here.

    Hence the URL for MS about the difference between activation /
    registration.

    Me
    why?, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Bill Hanna

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:43:06 -0500, Bill Hanna wrote:

    >Thank you very much for actually reading my OP and giving a reasoned
    >reply.

    Not forgetting of course that just not using IE/OE is not an option even
    with AV/FW. Becasue it (DLLs) simply exist it's still vunerable to
    expliots. You should review the notices at www.microsoft.com/security/
    it still needs patched.

    My reason was you are able to click on a URL and read the articles
    yourself.

    why?, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Bill Hanna

    JJO Guest

    Not likely lying, for $20 a sure bet. However I can also see your point
    about the laptop reliability and no retail store I know of would take back
    the copy for a refund. Just wondering though, is the laptop a brand name
    such as Dell or Compaq? If so then the license number should be on a sticker
    on the side or bottom then any version which is specified on the sticker
    would install correctly. Just input the code.

    But if that is the case (not legitimate that is) why not install SP2. Unless
    the key is one of the widely circulate keys, SP2 will install properly and
    not demand an activation.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Oct 17, 2004
  10. Bill Hanna

    Bill Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:09:35 -0400, While running hot, "JJO"
    <> posted:
    ..
    >Not likely lying, for $20 a sure bet. However I can also see your point
    >about the laptop reliability and no retail store I know of would take back
    >the copy for a refund. Just wondering though, is the laptop a brand name
    >such as Dell or Compaq? If so then the license number should be on a sticker
    >on the side or bottom then any version which is specified on the sticker
    >would install correctly. Just input the code.

    Compaq. It had ME on it but I do not like ME even for a test bed. Thus...
    XP. Now I have installed SP2.

    The laptop has been running for a few days and thus far I have found no
    further problems.

    So... I soon will buy Xp from eBay.

    I will pay for it not because I must, but because I like XP and it seems
    stable and a vast inprovment over previous OS.

    >But if that is the case (not legitimate that is) why not install SP2. Unless
    >the key is one of the widely circulate keys, SP2 will install properly and
    >not demand an activation.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John O.

    Thanks again,