pirated DVds are not macrovisioned

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Marian, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Marian

    Marian Guest

    I expected that the DVDs sold for one to a few dollars in Bangkok and
    Saigon would be exact copies (with copy-protection) but in fact they
    are not. I have imported into my SONY digital (mini-DV) camcorder and
    imported to imovie with no problems. Now to see whether I will be able
    to import directly from my DVD reader superdrive on my laptop. Anyone
    done that? The key factor here is that I am not dealing with industry
    standard issue, but rather pirated versions.

    BTW, only the big studios, and not even all of their movies, are
    macrovisioned. I have copied from various smaller companies with no
    problem.

    Warning: A minority of pirated DVDS are very poor quality, and many
    are missing all the features (Director's commentaries etc). The
    Chinese (Taiwanese?) ones are the worse and often they have no English
    language subtitle option. A very few are filmed in cinemas! Most are
    every bit as good as the ones you pay ten to twenty times more for.

    How does this industry work anyway? Do they employ hackers who know
    how to access internet versions?

    P.S. Is it true that the world centres of pirated DVds are in fact
    malaysia and China?
    Marian, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Marian

    Impmon Guest

    On 15 Jun 2004 18:18:58 -0700, (Marian) wrote:

    >How does this industry work anyway? Do they employ hackers who know
    >how to access internet versions?

    For new movies not yet legally released in video, 9 out of 10 times,
    movies are from video camera smuggled in a movie theater. Quality is
    usually poor with lots of flickering, bad cropping, occasional head
    bobbing along the bottom of the video and flickerings. 1 out of 10
    times it's from a screener (like a preview video) and generally are
    much better quality but may contain rough or unfinished special
    effects.

    For movies that are already released on DVD, anyone with a computer
    that has DVD-ROM can rip the movie off the DVD and burn them onto
    DVD-R or DVD+R. Because commercial DVD are usually 9GB while DVD
    burner are limited to 4.7GB, many features are often sacrificed like
    the director's commentary, extra subtitle and language tracks, etc and
    even the quality of the movie reduced a bit.

    Since it only takes a few minutes or so to burn a DVD and they usually
    sell well on the black market because they are *cheap*, these people
    generally don't care much for quality.

    Don't support them, don't buy DVD if you think they may not be legal
    release. Ripping DVD to make a backup copy is fine if you want to
    protect against (for example) a 5 year old stuffing DVD in a toaster.
    But to make profit is usually good for a few years in the slammer plus
    restitution.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Jun 16, 2004

  3. > Ripping DVD to make a backup copy is fine if you want to
    >protect against (for example) a 5 year old stuffing DVD in a toaster.

    heck, my legitimite studio bought dvd season set had problems with it skipping
    a portion of the show.

    And it was indeed the disc and not my dvd player, since I tried it on a bunch
    of different dvd players at my house.

    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to exchange it for another copy of the exact same
    disc.

    therefore, making me unfortunately stuck wwith it.

    Some studio releases are as bad or even worse than the pirate versions.

    (going by the descriptions given in this newsgroup thread). I have never ever
    bought a pirate dvd. I have only bought legitimate studio releases, and every
    singtle one of my dvd's are legitimate studio dvd releases.
    Waterperson77, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Marian

    Nick Legrand Guest

    in those regions they actually sell 'illegal' dvds on the streets which they
    don't in Europe... unless you know people or something... that's the only
    difference really....

    Nick Legrand, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Marian

    Biz Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    > heck, my legitimite studio bought dvd season set had problems with it

    skipping
    > a portion of the show.
    >
    > And it was indeed the disc and not my dvd player, since I tried it on a

    bunch
    > of different dvd players at my house.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I wasn't able to exchange it for another copy of the exact

    same
    > disc.
    >
    > therefore, making me unfortunately stuck wwith it.

    Why couldnt you exchange it? If the retailer was out of that title, he
    should have ordered another for you right on the spot. If you were dealing
    with eBay, or some other private seller, thats your problem.
    Biz, Jun 16, 2004
  6. >Why couldnt you exchange it? If the retailer was out of that title, he
    >should have ordered another for you right on the spot

    It was one of the season sets of "Friends" released by Warner Brothers. And by
    the time I got to that partuicular disc that skipped, it was past the "10 day
    limit" to be able to return it for an exchange at the store.

    I can't watch all the discs in one day, you know.

    I bought two season sets at the same time, so y the time I got to the skipping
    disc, it was past the store's "10 day limit for dvd exchanges".
    Waterperson77, Jun 17, 2004
  7. actually, I bought 2 season sets one day and then another 2 season sets a few
    days later, so with all of those discs to watch, by the time I got to the
    skipping disc, (it skipped on ALL dvd players I tried), it was past the store's
    10 day time limit for exchanges of dvd's.
    Waterperson77, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Waterperson77 wrote:
    >> Why couldnt you exchange it? If the retailer was out of that title,
    >> he should have ordered another for you right on the spot

    > It was one of the season sets of "Friends" released by Warner
    > Brothers. And by the time I got to that partuicular disc that
    > skipped, it was past the "10 day limit" to be able to return it for
    > an exchange at the store.
    >
    > I can't watch all the discs in one day, you know.
    >
    > I bought two season sets at the same time, so y the time I got to the
    > skipping disc, it was past the store's "10 day limit for dvd
    > exchanges".

    What retailer only allows 10 days for an exchange for a
    defective DVD? Every retailer around in my area is at least
    30 days.

    And "Friends"... dude, you really got no taste now do you?

    Demolition Man
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jun 18, 2004