"Pirate booty" found on Castle in the Sky R1 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robotech_Master, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Carlos Hassan on the Miyazaki Mailing List found an interesting hidden
    feature on the first disc of the Castle in the Sky DVD. I can only
    think of it as "pirate booty," rather than an easter egg--an easter
    egg is hidden in plain sight and meant to be found...but for this, you
    pretty much have to excavate. Plus, what with the subject matter of
    the movie...maybe I should call it "_air_ pirate booty" instead. :)

    Hidden in a VOB file not linked from any of the disc's menus, after
    four minutes of Japanese trailers, is a 20 minute Japanese TV
    documentary, "Tankuu no Shiro Rapyuta Promotion." It's in
    Japanese-only, no subtitles, and you either have to have DVD software
    that will read directly from the VOB on the disc or else the ability
    to rip it to your hard drive and play it from there.

    More details can be found at the Miyazaki ML post:

    http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312E&L=nausicaa&P=R179

    I've heard that this documentary was originally an extra on the
    Japanese DVD set. My guess is that it's inclusion here was probably
    as a work in progress to be an extra on the American disc (like the
    documentary on Disc 2 of Spirited Away) that the DVD production team
    was for some reason unable to complete, and they either forgot to or
    intentionally chose not to remove before the master was burned.

    Any chance of anyone out there fansubbing this?
    --
    Chris Meadows aka | If this post helped or entertained you, please rate
    Robotech_Master | it at http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=robotech

    Robotech_Master, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Robotech_Master

    Justin Guest

    Robotech_Master wrote on [Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:23:36 GMT]:
    > Carlos Hassan on the Miyazaki Mailing List found an interesting hidden
    > feature on the first disc of the Castle in the Sky DVD. I can only
    > think of it as "pirate booty," rather than an easter egg--an easter
    > egg is hidden in plain sight and meant to be found...but for this, you
    > pretty much have to excavate. Plus, what with the subject matter of
    > the movie...maybe I should call it "_air_ pirate booty" instead. :)

    And easter egg is not hidden in plain sight. This is indeed an easter
    egg

    Justin, Dec 30, 2003

  3. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:40:38 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    > And easter egg is not hidden in plain sight. This is indeed an easter
    > egg

    An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is accessible
    from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.

    This is an apparently accidental feature that is accessible by
    computer software only by someone who knows how to look for it, how to
    find it, and how to play it.

    This is not an easter egg.

    Robotech_Master, Dec 30, 2003
  4. "Robotech_Master" <> wrote in message

    > This is not an easter egg.

    It's a bug.

    --
    I'm not impressed by giant breasts.
    I think they're a mess.

    The Eternal Lost Lurker, Dec 30, 2003
  5. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

    > "Robotech_Master" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > This is not an easter egg.

    > It's a bug.

    Then finding it is a bug hunt?

    IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    swac
    Sorry, just got the new Alien box.

    Stephen Cooke, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Robotech_Master

    Chika Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

    > > "Robotech_Master" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > This is not an easter egg.

    > > It's a bug.

    > Then finding it is a bug hunt?

    > IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    Bug Hunt. Isn't he related to Mike?

    --
    //\ // Chika < - ROT13>
    // \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

    .... Discoveries are made by not following instructions.

    Chika, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Robotech_Master

    The Wanderer Guest

    Panon wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:05:26 GMT, Robotech_Master
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:40:38 GMT, Justin <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And easter egg is not hidden in plain sight. This is indeed an
    >>> easter egg

    >> An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is
    >> accessible from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.

    > I guess the audio commentary on Macross episodes 35-36 isn't an
    > easter egg then, since it's an unlisted feature that is not
    > accessable in any way via menus.

    The critical question is whether or not it is intended to be findable.
    The menus themselves don't have to be involved, but an Easter egg is
    something intentionally included as a nice surprise for those who can
    find it. Something like this, which looks to be at most a "we forgot to
    delete it" and cannot be accessed from the DVD's own interaction methods
    as far as anyone knows, doesn't really qualify.

    --
    The Wanderer

    The Wanderer, Dec 30, 2003
  8. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:35:49 -0500, The Wanderer
    <> wrote:

    >Panon wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:05:26 GMT, Robotech_Master
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is
    >>> accessible from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.

    >> I guess the audio commentary on Macross episodes 35-36 isn't an
    >> easter egg then, since it's an unlisted feature that is not
    >> accessable in any way via menus.

    >The critical question is whether or not it is intended to be findable.
    >The menus themselves don't have to be involved, but an Easter egg is
    >something intentionally included as a nice surprise for those who can
    >find it. Something like this, which looks to be at most a "we forgot to
    >delete it" and cannot be accessed from the DVD's own interaction methods
    >as far as anyone knows, doesn't really qualify.

    Any Easter egg can at least be found by bypassing the menu and using
    direct "GoTo" to chapters not clearly identified on the menu. (the
    exact method depends upon the player.) The Easter Eggs are still in
    the VTS. The "Castle in the Sky" documentary has no chapter and no
    link in the VTS, it is truly an Mpeg stream buried in the Vobs that
    can only be read by something that can directly Parse Vobs, such as
    VirtualDubMod, thus it is not an intended Easter Egg.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 30, 2003
  9. Robotech_Master wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:40:38 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >

    >> And easter egg is not hidden in plain sight. This is indeed an easter
    >> egg

    > An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is accessible
    > from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.
    >
    > This is an apparently accidental feature that is accessible by
    > computer software only by someone who knows how to look for it, how to
    > find it, and how to play it.
    >
    > This is not an easter egg.

    Let me guess, you think "Easter Eggs" started with DVDs, right?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Robotech_Master

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <CLjIb.39143$>, Grand
    Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Robotech_Master wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:40:38 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> And easter egg is not hidden in plain sight. This is indeed an easter
    > >> egg

    > > An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is accessible
    > > from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.
    > >
    > > This is an apparently accidental feature that is accessible by
    > > computer software only by someone who knows how to look for it, how to
    > > find it, and how to play it.
    > >
    > > This is not an easter egg.

    > Let me guess, you think "Easter Eggs" started with DVDs, right?

    Still, the computer game version of this would be if you had to look at
    the raw code of Adventure to find the Easter Egg.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Dec 30, 2003
  11. Robotech_Master

    Justin Guest

    Invid Fan wrote on [Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:39:55 -0500]:
    > In article <CLjIb.39143$>, Grand
    > Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Robotech_Master wrote:

    >> > An easter egg is an intentionally provided feature that is accessible
    >> > from the menu by anyone who plays the disc.
    >> >
    >> > This is an apparently accidental feature that is accessible by
    >> > computer software only by someone who knows how to look for it, how to
    >> > find it, and how to play it.
    >> >
    >> > This is not an easter egg.

    >> Let me guess, you think "Easter Eggs" started with DVDs, right?

    > Still, the computer game version of this would be if you had to look at
    > the raw code of Adventure to find the Easter Egg.

    So you typed xyzzy?

    Justin, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Robotech_Master

    Rob Kelk Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:37:58 +0000 (GMT), Chika <>
    wrote:

    >In article
    ><>,
    > Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

    >> > "Robotech_Master" <> wrote in message

    >> > It's a bug.

    >> Then finding it is a bug hunt?

    >> IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    >Bug Hunt. Isn't he related to Mike?

    Dunno - Who's this "Bug Mike" person? ^_^

    --
    Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
    "I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

    Rob Kelk, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Robotech_Master

    Chika Guest

    In article <>,
    Rob Kelk <> wrote:
    > >> IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    > >Bug Hunt. Isn't he related to Mike?

    > Dunno - Who's this "Bug Mike" person? ^_^

    Doh! ^_^;

    --
    //\ // Chika < - ROT13>
    // \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

    .... I hate making predictions; especially about the future!

    Chika, Dec 30, 2003
  14. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Rob Kelk wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:37:58 +0000 (GMT), Chika <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article
    > ><>,
    > > Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    > >> Then finding it is a bug hunt?

    > >> IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    > >Bug Hunt. Isn't he related to Mike?

    > Dunno - Who's this "Bug Mike" person? ^_^

    I hear he's a real c@#$

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Dec 30, 2003
  15. Robotech_Master

    Jack Bohn Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:00:04 GMT, (Rob Kelk)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:37:58 +0000 (GMT), Chika <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article
    >><>,
    >> Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    >>> Then finding it is a bug hunt?

    >>> IT'S A BUG HUNT!

    >>Bug Hunt. Isn't he related to Mike?

    >Dunno - Who's this "Bug Mike" person? ^_^

    Is he related to Bug Jack Baron?

    --
    -Jack

    Jack Bohn, Dec 30, 2003
  16. You know, I can't help but be amused that in this whole thread, there
    has not been *one single post* about the hidden mpeg stream's actual
    *contents*...

    I'd still like to know if anybody's going to fansub this, or if
    someone's already done a fansub script that I could use to do it
    myself.

    Robotech_Master, Dec 31, 2003
  17. Robotech_Master <> writes:

    >I'd still like to know if anybody's going to fansub this, or if
    >someone's already done a fansub script that I could use to do it
    >myself.

    Wouldn't it be technically illegal- after all, it's on a licenced disk
    that is available freely in North America.

    (creates thread that talks about legal issues of fansubbing any licenced
    material on Region 1 DVD and not about fansubbing the material in question
    heh heh heh.)
    --
    Widya Santoso +61 2 6288-0405
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep

    Widya Santoso, Dec 31, 2003
  18. Steve>Any Easter egg can at least be found by bypassing the menu and
    Steve>using direct "GoTo" to chapters not clearly identified on the menu.
    Steve>(the exact method depends upon the player.) The Easter Eggs are
    Steve>still in the VTS. The "Castle in the Sky" documentary has no
    Steve>chapter and no link in the VTS, it is truly an Mpeg stream buried
    Steve>in the Vobs that can only be read by something that can directly
    Steve>Parse Vobs, such as VirtualDubMod, thus it is not an intended Easter
    Steve>Egg.

    It's a *really* sadistically well-hidden Easter Egg -- remember,
    Bun Bun is the current Easter Bunny...
    --
    /\ Arthur Levesque <fnord?> http://boog.org & http://DammitJa.net __
    \B\ack King of the Potato People & shanana-Cobain <*> Urban Spaceman (oO)

    Arthur Levesque, Dec 31, 2003
  19. On 30 Dec 2003 18:37:26 -0700, Widya Santoso <> wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be technically illegal- after all, it's on a licenced disk
    > that is available freely in North America.

    Well, if I had the script to do it myself, as long as I kept it *to*
    myself, it would be perfectly legal fair use. (And you could make a
    decent argument for giving it only to people who already have the DVD
    being fair use too, etc.) IANAL, etc. etc.

    Kind of a pointless argument anyway: *Any* unauthorized fansub (that's
    distributed beyond the first person who makes it) is "technically
    illegal," regardless of what region the disc is.

    Robotech_Master, Dec 31, 2003
  20. Robotech_Master

    sanjian Guest

    Widya Santoso wrote:
    > Robotech_Master <> writes:
    >
    >> I'd still like to know if anybody's going to fansub this, or if
    >> someone's already done a fansub script that I could use to do it
    >> myself.

    > Wouldn't it be technically illegal- after all, it's on a licenced disk
    > that is available freely in North America.
    >
    > (creates thread that talks about legal issues of fansubbing any
    > licenced material on Region 1 DVD and not about fansubbing the
    > material in question heh heh heh.)

    Just a thought, I'm not sure how feasable it is, but it's something to
    consider... would it be possible to create some sort of subtitiling software
    that takes timed scripts and displays them as an overlay to your computer
    DVD player? That way, when something like this comes up, all you would have
    to do is download a file with the timed subs and you could watch the
    material subtitled, while still not comprimising the licensed material
    (obviously, they would be no more useful than a synopsis without the video
    to run underneath them).

    Hell, this could work for fansubs as well... buy the Japanese DVD, download
    the fansub file (which is much smaller than a digisub, since it would only
    be text), and go to town...

    sanjian, Dec 31, 2003