    To be honest I didn't notice any difference, however over the past few
    days I would swear that my YouTube videos are loading SLOWER.

    - is there a possibility that this is making YouTube connections slower??
    Lukan, May 12, 2008

  2. Lukan wrote:
    > I followed a websites advice for using FF with broadband, it said to
    > make FF faster do the following :
    >

    > 1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Type
    > “network.http” in the filter field, and change the following settings
    > (double-click on them to change them):
    > 2. Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
    > 3. Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
    > 4. Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to 30. This will allow it
    > to make 30 requests at one time.
    >
    > To be honest I didn't notice any difference, however over the past few
    > days I would swear that my YouTube videos are loading SLOWER.
    >

    > - is there a possibility that this is making YouTube connections slower??

    yes!!!! Not all sites can handle pipelining.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, May 12, 2008

  3. On Mon, 12 May 2008 21:24:05 +1200, Lukan <> wrote:

    > I followed a websites advice for using FF with broadband, it said to
    > make FF faster do the following :

    I feel for the same trick a few years ago. Pipelining seems to have little
    to no effect on about 90 percent of the sites I tried. If it is faster, it
    is definitely not by enough to be noticed using my 7mbps broadband
    connection. The remaining 10 percent were dreadfully slower, or did not
    work properly at all. Some symptoms of non-working sites were pictures that
    would load half-way then stop, or sites that would never officially finnish
    would never stop. Sites with lots of pictures or video content tended to
    slow down or fail the most. Turning pipelining off always caused normal
    behavior to return, so I leave pipelining off.

    The best way I know of to make Firefox faster is to turn off flash
    animations on any sites where it is not specifically needed. This can most
    easily be done using addons like FlashBlock or AdBlock Plus. It is by far
    the most noticeable improvement in speed.

    Another good way to keep the speed fast is to make sure that your download
    manager is set to remove completed files from the download manager list
    upon successful download. Never let the list of completed downloads build
    up, as it can greatly impact Firefox' performance.

    If you are on a fast broadband connection, there is probably no need for an
    insanely huge disk cache. Some people actually set their cache to hundreds
    of megs, then wonder why Firefox can take so long to fully close on their
    system. Likewise, don't make your history any longer than you are likely to
    ever use.
    --
    FoxWolfie
    FoxWolfie Galen, May 12, 2008
  4. Lukan

    Lukan Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I changed everything back to normal (first two
    "false", third one back to 4). After a day of being back to normal it
    looks like it was definately slowing down my YouTube clips and other
    streaming video sites.
    Lukan, May 13, 2008