    happen to like the S105's picture and the AC3 output is nice.

    Thanks for any advice..

    .. Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 7, 2003

  2. On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:41:48 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    I know I know, wrong group. I've reposted this in
    alt.video.laserdisc.

    . Thanks...

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 7, 2003

  3. >Among some carcasses I picked up recently from a video store is a
    >Pioneer S105.

    Which sounds like a low end single-side LD player with CD playback
    capabilities.

    > It works well but has a very snowy picture.
    >Measurement at the RF test point shows a low envelope level not far
    >above residual noise.

    More info please.

    What does the snow look like?

    How do you have your player connected to the TV?

    What discs are you using?

    >There are no obvious adjustments other than
    >Focus gain and Tracking gain. Tilting and thumping the laser assembly
    >or otherwise momentarily disturbng the pickup doesn't increase the
    >level at all, so the pickup seems to be putting out its maximum level.

    I hope you didn't tweak the focus and tracking adjustments. I also hope you
    didn't hit the pickup hard enough to screw up the calibration to the point
    where it won't play discs correctly. Miscalibration manifests itself as a
    herringbone artifact in the picture of CLV/CAA LD playback from crosstalk
    interference. It will also manifest itself as skipping and possibly even
    laserlock on CAV discs.

    >This level is consistent as it tracks across CLV and CAV discs and
    >CD's.

    Would it be safe to assume that this snow is existent even when there is no
    disc loaded? If this is the case, then the optics is the absolute wrong place
    to look around.

    >Could a player this new and
    >lightly-used have a bad pickup?

    Possible, but not very likely. It would be more likely that a player may
    require recalibration of the optics, especially if the unit was jostled or
    dropped. The only problem is that you need the service literature, an
    oscilliscope, a calibration LaserDisc, and the right set of tools to actually
    do the optics recalibration! - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 8, 2003
  4. On 07 Sep 2003 23:04:39 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>Among some carcasses I picked up recently from a video store is a
    >>Pioneer S105.

    >Which sounds like a low end single-side LD player with CD playback
    >capabilities.
    >
    >> It works well but has a very snowy picture.
    >>Measurement at the RF test point shows a low envelope level not far
    >>above residual noise.

    >More info please.
    >
    >What does the snow look like?
    >
    >How do you have your player connected to the TV?
    >
    >What discs are you using?
    >
    >>There are no obvious adjustments other than
    >>Focus gain and Tracking gain. Tilting and thumping the laser assembly
    >>or otherwise momentarily disturbng the pickup doesn't increase the
    >>level at all, so the pickup seems to be putting out its maximum level.

    >I hope you didn't tweak the focus and tracking adjustments. I also hope you
    >didn't hit the pickup hard enough to screw up the calibration to the point
    >where it won't play discs correctly. Miscalibration manifests itself as a
    >herringbone artifact in the picture of CLV/CAA LD playback from crosstalk
    >interference. It will also manifest itself as skipping and possibly even
    >laserlock on CAV discs.
    >
    >>This level is consistent as it tracks across CLV and CAV discs and
    >>CD's.

    >Would it be safe to assume that this snow is existent even when there is no
    >disc loaded? If this is the case, then the optics is the absolute wrong place
    >to look around.
    >
    >>Could a player this new and
    >>lightly-used have a bad pickup?

    >Possible, but not very likely. It would be more likely that a player may
    >require recalibration of the optics, especially if the unit was jostled or
    >dropped. The only problem is that you need the service literature, an
    >oscilliscope, a calibration LaserDisc, and the right set of tools to actually
    >do the optics recalibration! - Reinhart

    I don't have the service manual for this recent a player, and I've not
    encountered so few visible adjustments before. It's a weak output at
    the RF pin of the test connector on the circuit board, so that answers
    the questions about monitor connection and so on. The focus gain had
    to be backed off before the pickup could lock onto the track, a sure
    sign of a weakened output - I received it as unable to play at all.
    I have 8 other working players that don't have a snowy picture or weak
    output. I do align players, I'm a technician. I know about lissajous
    patterns and grating and centering locked tracking within scan noise
    and so forth. The (gentle) fiddling with the optics that I described
    is a simple way of determining if the setup is optimal. The fact that
    the RF output remains fairly constant from inside to output of the
    disc with only the slightest rise in the middle suggests that the
    optics are in fact in good alignment. There is no moire or
    mistracking or skipping. And on CAV discs there is no tendency to skip
    from one frame to the next during stills on the outside of the disc.

    This was a technical question about a surprising problem, as you say
    it would seem unlikely that the pickup would fail so soon. However the
    unit was abandoned after being returned by the customer,so it MAY have
    been damaged, but I can't see any sign of that. It was probably
    overlooked as a return to Pioneer or just fallen out of warranty.

    .. Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 8, 2003
  5. > I do align players, I'm a technician. I know about lissajous
    >patterns and grating and centering locked tracking within scan noise
    >and so forth.

    Oh. Sorry about the assumption that seemed to indicate otherwise.

    BTW, you may want to discuss this with LD repair guru Kurtis Bahr at the
    LaserDisc newsgroup. Try to get his attention and he will do what he can to
    help you.

    >This was a technical question about a surprising problem, as you say
    >it would seem unlikely that the pickup would fail so soon. However the
    >unit was abandoned after being returned by the customer,so it MAY have
    >been damaged

    Or, maybe the player may have had a marginal part to begin with. It could have
    been a lemon. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 8, 2003
  6. On 08 Sep 2003 14:38:24 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >> I do align players, I'm a technician. I know about lissajous
    >>patterns and grating and centering locked tracking within scan noise
    >>and so forth.

    >Oh. Sorry about the assumption that seemed to indicate otherwise.
    >
    >BTW, you may want to discuss this with LD repair guru Kurtis Bahr at the
    >LaserDisc newsgroup. Try to get his attention and he will do what he can to
    >help you.

    Thanks, actually I didn't intend to post this to a.v.dvd and did post
    it to a.v.laserdisc, but there hasn't been a response there so far.

    >>This was a technical question about a surprising problem, as you say
    >>it would seem unlikely that the pickup would fail so soon. However the
    >>unit was abandoned after being returned by the customer,so it MAY have
    >>been damaged

    >Or, maybe the player may have had a marginal part to begin with. It could have
    >been a lemon. - Reinhart

    Yep, it may have just been a lemon, which makes it too bad for the
    store that they didn't follow up with their distributor. If it was an
    older series, S201, D703, V121g etc I have a pickup lying around that
    I could have stuck in to try it.

    Ah Bien...

    . STeve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 8, 2003