    I updated the firmware, install latest Nero, Latest DVD Decrypter,
    checked DMA.

    Need help please.

    phongxn, Jul 11, 2005

  2. phongxn

    Zodiac Guest

    Flash it with a hacked firmware. Pioneer DVDRs are crippled to stop faster
    ripping.

    Zodiac, Jul 11, 2005

  3. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:25:58 +1000, "Zodiac"
    <> wrote:

    >Flash it with a hacked firmware. Pioneer DVDRs are crippled to stop faster
    >ripping.

    Also as discussed here previously make SURE the USB is runing at USB2
    (400 Mbps) not USB1 (20 Mbps)

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 11, 2005
  4. phongxn

    phongxn Guest

    Do you know where I can get a "reliable" hacked firmware?
    Thanks in advance.

    phongxn, Jul 11, 2005
  5. phongxn

    phongxn Guest

    Can you give me an idea where and how to check this?

    phongxn, Jul 11, 2005
  6. phongxn

    phongxn Guest

    What I meant was how to check that I am running USB2 not USB1. Also, I
    did a test last night. I tried backing up with my internal DVD rom
    player, instead of using the DVR-A09, and samething happened. Started
    off at 3x for a couple of seconds, then dropped to (0.4x) and even to
    (0.1x). Could this be a bigger problem than firmware on the drives? I
    wouldn't expect both drives to run that low, if it was a firmware
    problem.

    The other DVD-Rom drive is internal HL-DT-ST RW/DVD Compo drive.

    Really like to get better performance on the backup and burn.

    phongxn, Jul 11, 2005
  7. On 11 Jul 2005 06:30:35 -0700, "phongxn" <> wrote:

    >What I meant was how to check that I am running USB2 not USB1. Also, I
    >did a test last night. I tried backing up with my internal DVD rom
    >player, instead of using the DVR-A09, and samething happened. Started
    >off at 3x for a couple of seconds, then dropped to (0.4x) and even to
    >(0.1x). Could this be a bigger problem than firmware on the drives? I
    >wouldn't expect both drives to run that low, if it was a firmware
    >problem.

    >The other DVD-Rom drive is internal HL-DT-ST RW/DVD Compo drive.

    >Really like to get better performance on the backup and burn.

    Double check that you are not burning the wrong type of media. Some
    Pioneer drives only burn + media, they won't work with - media.

    Sig:
    I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    -- Isaac Asimov

    Rotes Sapiens, Jul 13, 2005
  8. phongxn

    Zodiac Guest

    http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/

    Zodiac, Jul 13, 2005
  9. phongxn

    phongxn Guest

    Thanks for the input everyone. I was able to resolve my problem.
    First I checked the USB, and sure enough the USB hub was only reading
    at 1.1 and not 2.0. I fixed that problem by moving the DVR-A09XL to a
    different computer I know the USB drivers are working correctly there.
    That greatly improved my performance to encoding + burning down under 2
    hours, but my max read and write was only 4X.

    A friend told me to use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to encode and shrink, since
    he has had experience with it being faster than DVD Shrink. (The
    product is not free)
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

    This did improve my performance on the shrink to about 50 mins and the
    burn using Nero 6.6 is 20 mins. But still wanted to see better write
    than the 4X.

    Thankfully they just release new firmware for the DVR-A09XL unit v1.57
    that improves the write and read. After flashing the new firmware, I
    am getting 12X write now, and the burn is taking less than 10 mins.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=35179&highlight=a09 firmware 1.57

    In summary this is what I am doing to get about 1 hour DVD burns now:

    DVD Title I used to test all this -> Inusha Movie 2
    1. Run AnyDVD and use CloneDVD for encoding/shrinking to an ISO file.
    (roughly 50 mins)
    2. Use Nero 6.6 to burn (10 mins)

    Make sure that USB 2.0 is working on the controller, hub, devices.
    I decided to even further improve my performance to encode+shrink using
    a 16X internal DVD IDE drive on the same IDE bus as the hard drive I am
    copying the ISO file too. This makes a big difference. Then I just
    burn the ISO image to the USB DVR-A09XL.

    Took some looking into, but I hope my 2-day testing has made life
    easier for someone else.

    phongxn, Jul 13, 2005