Pioneer 8x DVD Recorder now available in US @ $199

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by luminos, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. luminos

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Jan 19, 2004

  2. luminos

    va Guest

    va, Jan 19, 2004

  3. luminos

    LeeB18509 Guest

    LeeB18509, Jan 19, 2004
  4. luminos

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:18:30 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >I found this link with the A07 and 107 8x DVD recorders shipping in the US
    >from $199.
    >
    >http://store.yahoo.com/elegantshopping1/pioneerdvr107.html

    It's been available at Fry's/Outpost.com for over a week already.

    I saw it at Best Buy a couple days ago too.
    Nomen Nescio, Jan 19, 2004
  5. luminos

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Jan 19, 2004
  6. luminos

    Guest

    Re: Buy Nec ND-2500A for $130--the best and cheapest writer.

    so you say. A quick search turns up cheaper drives and for my money,
    Plextor is the best. So the 2500a is neither the cheapest nor the
    best.

    so there ;)

    va wrote:

    >;)
    >

    >"luminos" <> wrote in message
    >> I found this link with the A07 and 107 8x DVD recorders shipping in the US
    >> from $199.
    >>
    >> http://store.yahoo.com/elegantshopping1/pioneerdvr107.html

    , Jan 19, 2004
  7. Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:18:30 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I found this link with the A07 and 107 8x DVD recorders shipping in the US

    >>from $199.

    >>http://store.yahoo.com/elegantshopping1/pioneerdvr107.html

    > It's been available at Fry's/Outpost.com for over a week already.
    >
    > I saw it at Best Buy a couple days ago too.

    But I thought it was $249 at Best Buy - so I ordered an A06 for $129
    from Videoguys.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 19, 2004
  8. luminos

    lxe-13 Guest

    your one week late btw and you can find it for 170.00$ (price whatch)
    lxe-13, Jan 19, 2004
  9. luminos

    Tech God Guest

    Gary Eickmeier <> wrote in message news:<mMSOb.61119$>...
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:18:30 GMT, "luminos"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> I found this link with the A07 and 107 8x DVD recorders
    > >> shipping in the US from $199.

    > >> http://store.yahoo.com/elegantshopping1/pioneerdvr107.html

    > > It's been available at Fry's/Outpost.com for over a week
    > > already.I saw it at Best Buy a couple days ago too.

    > But I thought it was $249 at Best Buy - so I ordered an A06
    > for $129 from Videoguys.

    How about some negatives in this love fest:

    1) Media that *actually* burns at 8X (don't confuse how it's
    marked with how fast it really burns) is rare & expensive.

    2) Within 2 months of installing your A07, the dual layer DVD
    (double the capacity, up to 8.5 Gig on a disk) will be out:

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4206
    Tech God, Jan 19, 2004
  10. luminos

    luminos Guest

    > > Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > > > It's been available at Fry's/Outpost.com for over a week
    > > > already.I saw it at Best Buy a couple days ago too.

    > > But I thought it was $249 at Best Buy - so I ordered an A06
    > > for $129 from Videoguys.

    > How about some negatives in this love fest:
    >
    > 1) Media that *actually* burns at 8X (don't confuse how it's
    > marked with how fast it really burns) is rare & expensive.
    >
    > 2) Within 2 months of installing your A07, the dual layer DVD
    > (double the capacity, up to 8.5 Gig on a disk) will be out:
    >
    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4206

    Although this has been announced, the price of the dual layer media has not
    been indicated anywhere. I saw some specs that suggested that the dye
    formulation was very expensive.

    Also note that the write speed of the dual layer will be 2x.
    luminos, Jan 19, 2004
  11. lxe-13 wrote:

    > your one week late btw and you can find it for 170.00$ (price whatch)

    Price wut?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 19, 2004
  12. luminos

    luminos Guest

    > lxe-13 wrote:
    >
    > > your one week late btw and you can find it for 170.00$ (price whatch)

    > Price wut?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    And considering the free shipping of the firm in my previous post, and with
    software, this price is merely a match, not better.
    luminos, Jan 19, 2004
  13. luminos

    BoB Guest

    Inline:
    "Tech God" <> wrote in message

    > How about some negatives in this love fest:
    >
    > 1) Media that *actually* burns at 8X (don't confuse how it's
    > marked with how fast it really burns) is rare & expensive.

    My plex burns ricoh(jpn) and tdk(cmc/mag) 4xdvd+R's, $1 blanks,
    readily available here in the US at major stores, at 8X, 7.5-8 minutes.

    > 2) Within 2 months of installing your A07, the dual layer DVD
    > (double the capacity, up to 8.5 Gig on a disk) will be out:

    Now that media will be RARE and EXPENSIVE!
    at least for a while!
    BoB, Jan 20, 2004
  14. luminos

    lxe-13 Guest

    107 is the same where ever you get it ... , Its just an oem version of the
    A07

    Where's the software description ? I cant find it .
    lxe-13, Jan 20, 2004

    > > Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > > > It's been available at Fry's/Outpost.com for over a week
    > > > already.I saw it at Best Buy a couple days ago too.

    > > But I thought it was $249 at Best Buy - so I ordered an A06
    > > for $129 from Videoguys.

    > How about some negatives in this love fest:
    >
    > 1) Media that *actually* burns at 8X (don't confuse how it's
    > marked with how fast it really burns) is rare & expensive.
    >
    > 2) Within 2 months of installing your A07, the dual layer DVD
    > (double the capacity, up to 8.5 Gig on a disk) will be out:
    >
    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=4206

    and how about a postive ending?
    Pioneer already showed at the CES that a firmware upgrade was enough to make
    the A06 capable of writing a DVD-9 (dual layered).
    I guess that a firmware upgrade for the A07 will do the same for this
    machine.

    It's only a matter of time when Pioneer will release the new firmware for
    both machines.

    Roy
    Roy van der Pijl, Jan 20, 2004
  16. luminos

    Axel VK Guest

    Axel VK, Jan 20, 2004
  17. luminos

    Skid Guest

    "Roy van der Pijl" <> wrote in message
    > and how about a postive ending?
    > Pioneer already showed at the CES that a firmware upgrade was enough to

    make
    > the A06 capable of writing a DVD-9 (dual layered).
    > I guess that a firmware upgrade for the A07 will do the same for this
    > machine.
    >
    > It's only a matter of time when Pioneer will release the new firmware for
    > both machines.

    Pioneer showed it was possible. They did not promise they were going to do
    it. Feel free to remain optimistic, but there is also the possibility that
    they will simply release a new model with dual-layer capability at a higher
    price.
    Skid, Jan 20, 2004
  18. luminos

    doS Guest

    doS, Jan 20, 2004
  19. "Skid" <> wrote in message

    > "Roy van der Pijl" <> wrote in message
    > > and how about a postive ending?
    > > Pioneer already showed at the CES that a firmware upgrade was enough to

    > make
    > > the A06 capable of writing a DVD-9 (dual layered).
    > > I guess that a firmware upgrade for the A07 will do the same for this
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > It's only a matter of time when Pioneer will release the new firmware

    for
    > > both machines.

    > Pioneer showed it was possible. They did not promise they were going to do
    > it. Feel free to remain optimistic, but there is also the possibility that
    > they will simply release a new model with dual-layer capability at a

    higher
    > price.

    Absolutely..... They showed it was possible but it is no guarantee that they
    will ever release this firmware.
    I am still optimistic though..... in the "war of the formats part 2" aka.
    "DVD-9R versus DVD+9R" Pioneer needs good arguments in favour of their -9
    standard.
    The +9 standard is already supported by almost all the other companies like
    Philips, Sony and even Microsoft.
    The latest information however is that you MUST buy a new burner for those
    discs.

    If Pioneer can make their latest generation writers capable of writing dual
    layered -9 discs by only upgrading firmware it can absolutely help
    penetrating the market before the +9 standard even becomes 'live'.
    Pioneer will also probably make more money in selling the 'rights' to dvd-9R
    manufacturers then in selling hardware.

    and if Pioneer will not release it there are hopefully skilled people enough
    to patch the current firmware, using dvd-9R ready firmware of new burners as
    an example.

    roy

    In short.... I am still positive......
    Roy van der Pijl, Jan 21, 2004
  20. luminos

    Guest

    You can get a NEC 2500 in the UK for the last 4 weeks. And they are £99 GBP
    ($170 USD)
    , Jan 29, 2004