    Hope someone can help me with this.

    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheesypeas, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Cheesypeas

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:40:00 -0000, "Cheesypeas"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I have a Pioneer 656 (with DVD-AUDIO and SACD playback) and am very happy
    >with it...well apart from some distortion at te top of the picture when
    >playing NTSC DVD's which I have never had on any other DVD players nut
    >that's besides the point.

    I have the Pioneer 656 as well.
    I've not noticed any distortion with NTSC Region 1 DVDs. Can you
    elaborate on this a bit more if possible?
    ZC TGS, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Cheesypeas

    Cheesypeas Guest

    Hi,

    I find that when playing region 1 NTSC titles I get a bending at the top (a
    wavey effect). If I switch to PAL60 the effect is gone, if I switch back to
    NTSC or AUTO, it returns. I have an XBOX, PS2, a Pioneer 444 and a
    Panasonic E-20 which all output NTSC perfectly on the same TV with no
    distortion.

    I did do a few 'googles' and found some similar issues with other makes and
    models of DVD player but just wondered if there is a resolution to this
    problem or maybe it's just a 'characteristic' of the 656.

    BTW, is there any difference between the 656 and the 565?

    Cheers
    Cheesypeas, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Cheesypeas

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:45:43 -0000, "Cheesypeas"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I find that when playing region 1 NTSC titles I get a bending at the top (a
    >wavey effect). If I switch to PAL60 the effect is gone, if I switch back to
    >NTSC or AUTO, it returns. I have an XBOX, PS2, a Pioneer 444 and a
    >Panasonic E-20 which all output NTSC perfectly on the same TV with no
    >distortion.
    >
    >I did do a few 'googles' and found some similar issues with other makes and
    >models of DVD player but just wondered if there is a resolution to this
    >problem or maybe it's just a 'characteristic' of the 656.

    I can't recall seeing any problems like that on the few NTSC Region 1
    DVDs I've played in my Pioneer 656 so far. I'll try a Region 1 DVD in
    there this evening if I get a chance.

    >BTW, is there any difference between the 656 and the 565?

    Have a look here for some spec comparisons:

    Pioneer 656
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-pioneer-dv-656a-s-multi-region-dvd-player.html

    Pioneer 565
    http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-pioneer-dv-565-s-multi-region-dvd-player.html
    ZC TGS, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Cheesypeas

    Cheesypeas Guest

    Re: Distortion, I've just found a post on 'Techtronics' forum with the same
    problem. The idea there is that it is possibly caused by Macrovision. Any
    ideas why this would be an issue? I am just trying to watch an NTSC DVD in
    NTSC, not record it or do anything else with the signal etc.
    Cheesypeas, Dec 30, 2003