    can get a brand new liteon or lg 16x dvd-rom. However as I am a
    starving student, every penny counts! Interested in hearing what
    people have to say. Thanks!
    Jason Wong, Sep 4, 2003

  2. On 4 Sep 2003 08:39:32 -0700, (Jason Wong)
    wrote:

    >Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my sony 4x dvd-rom to a used pioneer
    >10x dvd-rom ide slot load. My main usage for the unit will be for dvd
    >ripping. My current unit rarely reaches the reported 4x speed,
    >usually ripping at 2.5x or 3.5x. So depending on the movie, most rips
    >take me 20-30 min. Does anyone know how this unit fares for ripping
    >purposes? The asking price is $25 canadian, but for twice that much I
    >can get a brand new liteon or lg 16x dvd-rom. However as I am a
    >starving student, every penny counts! Interested in hearing what
    >people have to say. Thanks!

    My Creative 12X IDE on a PIII-733 and a Pioneer SCSI 10X on a
    PIII-1000 also rip about 2.5 to 3.5X. It depends upon the setup of
    ASPI, or if using DVDdecypter the Windows API. Rarely, on rare
    occasions, I see 5X. I don't believe there is much that can be done
    about geting things faster but I may be wrong.

    .. Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 4, 2003

  3. >My Creative 12X IDE on a PIII-733 and a Pioneer SCSI 10X on a
    >PIII-1000 also rip about 2.5 to 3.5X. It depends upon the setup of
    >ASPI, or if using DVDdecypter the Windows API. Rarely, on rare
    >occasions, I see 5X. I don't believe there is much that can be done
    >about geting things faster but I may be wrong.

    That's pretty much how it works out.

    The highest speed rating only indicates the peak speed under favorable
    conditions. Normal speeds will be about half that or less, with the transfer
    rate increasing as you read towards the end of the disc. In the higher
    rotations, the drive reads in CAV, which means the rotational speed remains
    constant while dataflow can increase as the drive reads. DVDs and CDs are
    written CLV, which means the flow of data remains constant while disc rotation
    must slow down as the drive reads.

    There are some things you can try to do to increase the speed, like making sure
    your computer and drive are capable of supporting DMA access and that the disc
    drive is by itself in the chain in the case of IDE/UDMA drives. Also, making
    sure you have the latest ASPI layer versions and up-to-date drivers for your
    drive controllers. But, these measures usually help in improving read/record
    reliability as opposed to providing significant speed gains. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Jason Wong

    Jason Wong Guest

    (Jason Wong) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my sony 4x dvd-rom to a used pioneer
    > 10x dvd-rom ide slot load. My main usage for the unit will be for dvd
    > ripping. My current unit rarely reaches the reported 4x speed,
    > usually ripping at 2.5x or 3.5x. So depending on the movie, most rips
    > take me 20-30 min. Does anyone know how this unit fares for ripping
    > purposes? The asking price is $25 canadian, but for twice that much I
    > can get a brand new liteon or lg 16x dvd-rom. However as I am a
    > starving student, every penny counts! Interested in hearing what
    > people have to say. Thanks!

    Okay so my 4x sony ddu220e dvd-rom only suppose multi-word dma 2
    according to specs I found on the net and that's what it's loading up
    as in WinXp. The 10x pioneer 104s supports up to ultra dma 2
    (ultra/33), which seems to be the same for the cheaper 16x drives (LG
    and liteon). $25 is a great price for me but if it looks like I'm not
    going to see a huge improvement then perhaps I should just wait until
    the price for the asus 16x dvd-rom to go down, which can do ultra/100
    and is pricd at $75. For $50 I could pick up an aopen or pioneer
    which support ultra/66. So based on all that, which would be the best
    buy for my dvd ripping needs?
    Jason Wong, Sep 5, 2003